The Car thread
  • Bob wrote:
    My Dad 'taught' me Motorway driving and it was some scary stuff.. I think it makes a lot of sense for people to be taught professionally.

It does, but motorways are not scary in the slightest. Well, not during the week, weekends are another matter entirely.

Best of luck Gav.
  • Good luck, Gav.

And don't stress too much about it.  There's no shame in failing your test, it just means you'll have to take it again another day.  It's an unwelcome extra cost but otherwise no big deal.
  • Good luck Gav!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Best of luck for today Gav! You can do this.
    Unlikely is correct though. Don't blow this out of proportion.
    There is absolutely zero shame in failing your driving test.
    Back in the day, my old man taught me the basics, then I booked a week long intensive course with the test at the end of it.
    I failed...and that was a good thing.
    All it means is that the tester can tell that you don't yet have enough experience to be given carte blanche to be put in charge of something that could kill yourself and/or other people at any moment.
    I went away, got some more experience, did a bunch more lessons over a few weeks, then sailed through the test second time (they didn't even seem overly concerned I was in a boat rather than a car).
    Ultimately, you pass your driving test when you are genuinely ready to pass your driving test.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Unlikely is correct though. Don't blow this out of proportion. There is absolutely zero shame in failing your driving test.

Bingo.

Third time lucky, for me. No shame at all.
  • o/
    The Forum Herald™
  • Go Gav go!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • g.man wrote:
    I went away, got some more experience, did a bunch more lessons over a few weeks, then sailed through the test second time (they didn't even seem overly concerned I was in a boat rather than a car).

Lols
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yeah re the pressure, don't sweat it Gav, I failed my first time and eventually my dad did start to talk to me again.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Thought I'd pass first time - failed almost immediately. Stupidly nervous second time - failed. Third time I I went in believing I'd fail for sure - passed. I was probably less nervous because I wasn't determined to pass so I did better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I failed my first test big style. Stuff like the guy directing me into roadworks he didn't know was there didn't help, but I was stupidly nervous anyway so would have failed regardless. I think that's the most nervous I've ever been.

Pissed it the second time with a different guy taking the examination. Best of luck Gav.
  • I stalled at the first roundabout twice and the examiner made a really big deal about how many cars I was holding up.. which was nice of him. Convinced I'd failed already I Passed first time. This was like 1902 though and you just had to drive in a straight line.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I got told off for speeding inside the first 5 minutes and that was me failed.
  • I was too confident first time and got a D for Dangerous. Second time round, when the same examiner walked through the waiting room door, my heart dropped and the nerves kicked in, passed though.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Second time pass for me. First time I knew I had failed. Hit the kerb whilst parallel parking, which I had never done in any lesson and while I faffed to correct my error the examiner was adamant that I hadn't checked for oncoming cars. I also had a habit of looking at the gear stick when changing down to second, but I had no idea I was doing it. Quizzed my instructor afterwards and he said he'd hoped the examiner wouldn't notice. Great.

Second time went pretty much perfectly, but I almost failed. Towards the end of the lesson it started raining very lightly and I didn't think wipers were necessary, but my examiner did. Two marks against me on ancillary controls.
  • Second time boyos!

o/

I learned how to overtake safely by overtaking unsafely on my first test. Was the one thing we’d not covered in my lessons, but was essentially forced to do it on the test. Probably for the best in the long run.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Passed my car licence the first time, but failed my HGV on the first attempt. I can't remember why now, but I passed the second time round despite going straight over 3 lanes at a roundabout (it was totally clear). I was very relaxed and chatting with the instructor and I think he let me off because I had slipped into casual mode. I got a minor for lane management.
  • Not going to leave you hanging Daddy.

\o
  • Skondo wrote:
    Not going to leave you hanging Daddy. \o

Er.. I claiming that one having been left hanging since 10.47am

Here you go Daddy \o
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah, I didn’t know whether you were high giving a Gav or me. Didn’t want to steal Gav’s thunder, obvs.
  • I did pass first time but that was quarter of a century ago now and I'm pretty sure the test was lot easier back then.  We didn't even have a theory test.
  • We sort of did. The instructor asked a few questions in the car. What’s your stopping distance at 40mph in the wet, what does this road sign mean, can you read the number plate over there, etc.
  • Well yes, in my case I was asked to identify two road signs, but it was hardly a test.  Reading the number plate took place before the test, to ensure you weren't actually blind and about to drive straight into the nearest pedestrian.
  • Shit, that’s where I went wrong.
  • Failed.

Emerged onto a roundabout whilst cars still on it, and failed to look over my shoulder whilst reversing. Stupid mistakes, but mistakes that can be fixed.

From a standing start, I've went in a week from about zero experience to just about test standard, so I've a lot to be proud of.

It's been a really mentally taxing week so I'm more exhausted than anything, kinda glad it's done. Gonna take today to wallow a bit but tomorrow I'm re-booking.

Cheers for the support, lads. It's helped massively when this week got a bit much for me.
  • Unlucky Gavster, all the bestest drivers pass second time. No pressure next time like...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Go and unwind for a bit Gav, you need and deserve it. Youve achieved a hell of a lot in a week. You'll get it next time. And if not, the time after that. It's the same licence, no matter how many attempts it takes to get it.
  • Unlucky Gav, you know where you went wrong which is always good, I'm sure you'll smash it next time like all the best bois as Daddy mentioned.
  • Aye, second time is where it's at.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!