Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well. This is indeed a first. After over 25 years of driving I have locked my keys in the boot of my car!

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. With the missus 100 miles away!

Mercedes roadside assistance have just turned up to pick my lock and let me in.
  • Just realised (watching the first race of touring car championship) that Nicolas Hamilton (yep lewis's) brother is doing a full season of BTCC. So what? He has Cerebral Palsy, which makes it astonishing he's in a car in the first place. Brave boy, hes onto a major hiding to nothing. BTCC is cut throat racing.
  • He’s been racing for years ... Clio cup and stuff iirc if he’s graduated to toca I expect he’s earned it
    The Forum Herald™
  • Anyone own a 1 series BMW? ,what's it like as a day to day family car with a small toddler/child?
  • New shape or old shape ?

Small boot and the transmission tunnel means you can’t seat three in the back but drives nice and if you can find a well equipped one you’ll be doing ok

The 130i m sport is a proper q car
    The Forum Herald™
  • I have a 54 plate 116. Nothing special but I really like it and at £2k with 65k miles on the clock 18 months ago I think it was great value.

It's just me and the dog so I dont stress too much about space but there is zero leg room behind me (I'm 6'2").
    The boot is pretty decent in size, seats flatten nice and easily and the boot opening is a decent size and square enough to load big stuff unlike some modern cars.

Drive wise I think it's great in comparison to its competitors with similar engines.

Worth bearing in mind rear wheel drive. It makes it a better drive but if it is your main run around could cause problems in snow and ice. Doesnt bother me as I work from home so I just wont go out but if you need to get places that will be a problem.

I'm not sure when they started, probably with the new shape but there are front wheel drive options now, possibly just the 1.4 model. Bob will know better. The naming is a right state in the new shape range iirc.

One thing I really like is that despite my car being 15 years old it absolutely does not feel like it. Simple, clean, well built design.
    Naturally missing modern features like USB and proper bluetooth (it was 3 years before the first iPhone after all). More modern examples will naturally have these features.
    Not especially exciting looking but exciting at this level rarely ages well.
  • Has anyone here ever imported a car from Japan? I doubt anyone would have, but I really want a R34 Nissan Skyline GT-T, the 2.5 litre engined 280hp beast... But it has to be grey. Ideally it will look just like this:

GLP3xaD.png
  • Will you park it properly tho?
  • I had an imported fto. Was a nightmare to get insured.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Aye, insurance is the only real issue with importing Japanese cars. You’d be best off going to a broker like A-Plan and letting them find someone willing to take it on. Or get advice from owners clubs on their forums.
  • My Dad had an imported TT and Audi were absolute pricks about it.
    The most basic of jobs they made into an ordeal. I think they didn't like him finding a cheaper way of buying it than through them.

If you go old enough to not have to use dealerships it shouldn't be an issue just take it to a Nissan or Jap car expert.
  • That is a beautiful car tho. I would take that over a Golf or S3 anyday... but I am a Japfan.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • htup-1005-01-o%2B1997-integra-type-r%2Bfull-view.jpg

Swoon.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • My brother used to have a Nissan 200sx.
    Great fun in short bursts but nauseating as a daily driver.
    Imagine going on a cruise but instead of plain sailing on a luxury liner it was white water rapids in a dinghy hours on end.

If it is fun in Forza it will ruin you on a daily commute.
  • Jap crap
    The Forum Herald™
  • @bob,@livdiv cheers. Missus has a golf which we use as the main car with the little one. I always fancied a rear wheel drive car and the new 1 series released Q4 this year is a 4 cylinder AWD car. (doesn't interest me). Therefore the outgoing current 1 series is the last rear wheel drive 6 cylinder 335bhp car. I fancied a M140i for myself. We rarely use my old car on the weekends to ferry the little one around so I think I could be ok with an M140i. There should be enough space for his car seat and when we swivel it around enough space for his legs for next 3 years (he'd be 4 years old by end of the pcp).

You can pick up a new m140i shadow edition with Pro sat nav, adaptive m suspension, adaptive headlights, folding mirrors, rear parking sensors, heated seats for around £310 a month with 3k upfront new on a 3 year pcp deal. Add an LSD to it and that takes payments to £360 a month. In theory total outlay would be around 20k but the GFV of the car would be 16k (LSD adds 2k to the GFV). Order book for factory produced 1 series ends in June. Also there is the hassle of swapping winter tyres in and out every year. LSD should help with the power, but winter tyres are recommended by more than a few BMW drives who I've spoken to. I also like the idea of having a lighter colour interior.

Or more can be more sensible and by a used old shape 2011-2018 3 series diesel, 335d X drive with around 25,000 miles on the clock for around 23k (that a 17 plate).

Just theoretical mind, though in a year from now I wonder what the price of pre 2019 6 cylinder m140i's will be. I wonder if it will become a future classic?
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I had an imported fto. Was a nightmare to get insured.
    I heard even the UK FTO's are one of the most expensive cars to get insured on.
    LivDiv wrote:
    My brother used to have a Nissan 200sx. Great fun in short bursts but nauseating as a daily driver. Imagine going on a cruise but instead of plain sailing on a luxury liner it was white water rapids in a dinghy hours on end. If it is fun in Forza it will ruin you on a daily commute.

Good thing it only takes me about 10 minutes to get to work! ;)

Everyone seems to be PCPing these days. I can't see the appeal myself.
  • PCPs are becoming a ticking time bomb of debt like subprime mortgages which caused financial chaos a decade ago. Something like 90% of new car deals are PCP deals. The expectation is that there is a healthy 2nd hand market for these cars when they are returned after 3/4 years.

Leasing is still probably the best way to go if you want to drive this year's model of car X.
  • Leasing in my view is worse.

If everyone leases whose going to buy the used cars when they come off lease?

I do wonder whether everyone understands they get nothing for their money at the end ?

Your literally paying the depreciation for the lease company who’ll sell the car at the end.

At least with a well sold
    PCP you should have some equity at the end to form some kind of deposit and you at least have the chance to own it if you want to stop making monthly payments.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Its a mindset thing though isnt it. Some famous guy said "..if it appreciates buy it. if it depreciates then rent it"...

Cars depreciate, on a pcp your lucky to come out of it with £500 of equity. I've never leased (cant afford to) but i understand why people do. Latest cars, no MOT for 3 years, hassle free motoring. After 3 years if your bored, get something else on a lease. Yeah your paying the depreciation for the car over 3 years. How is that any worse than getting a car on PCP at full dealership price and it losing over 60% of its value by 3/4 years? Paying the GFV on a PCP is never a good idea financially.
  • Yeah but apparently he's been misquoted.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Saving up and buying outright is always gonna be the sensible move. Borrowing/leasing/whatever is always gonna cost you.
  • I absolutely positively completely will never ever ever ever ever have that option in my life, though. The idea of having multiple tens of k's sitting is so alien to me. (outright)

Coming in as a newbie I've learned to trust no one in the PCP/leasing game. Test is booked, though.
  • I absolutely positively completely will never ever ever ever ever have that option in my life, though. The idea of having multiple tens of k's sitting is so alien to me.

Me too. I genuinely believe most people should buy second hand cars. I’ve had plenty of sub-£1k cars and loved them all. Our society’s attitude to cars has shifted over the past decade or two – the finance culture we live in (I guess thanks to successive neoliberal governments?) has led everyone to believe they should have new (or new-ish) cars all the time. Great for the motor industry. Nuts for normal folk like us. I’ve never expected to be a person who can spec a brand-new car. Ever.
  • I don't think may people buy cars outright when you go into 5 figures i.e. 10k plus. The government isn't making it easy for people who cant afford to buy recent cars (last 4 years). The euro 6 standard and more widespread introduction of ULEZ is going to hit the working classes more than those in the middle and upper classes of society. The current vogue for punishing people with diesels doesn't help either.

I have a 04 plate diesel. If i drove into the ULEZ now it would cost me £24 for the day. Once the ULEZ is extended in 2021 to cover the entire of London, going to visit friends and family will become very expensive. I cant afford a new or fairly new car, it just costs too much, even if i paid the PCP monthly costs on a low APR loan from outside of the dealership. Leasing a car that meets Euro 6 for £150 a month would still cost around 7k for 4 years. Cars are just too damn expensive in general.
  • poprock wrote:
    Saving up and buying outright is always gonna be the sensible move. Borrowing/leasing/whatever is always gonna cost you.

Not really. We offer low rate finance and I'm sure we're not alone. At least you end up with the car at the end. Ultimately you'll be able to work you way up.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cars are just too damn expensive in general.

The Government want it that way. They want to reduce private car ownership and encourage public transport – as a long-term strategy. Thing is, they can’t go all-out on that because it fucks the car manufacturing industry and they need manufacturing happening in the UK. So with one hand the Gov makes car ownership unpalatable. With the other hand they’re trying to feed the industry. And neither pays any attention to what the other is doing, because it’s an unsolvable problem and they can’t be arsed to deal with it. At the same time, public transport is dramatically underfunded and sold off to private enterprise, who bump up prices while complaining of poor infrastructure. None of it’s good for us, the people.
  • Public transport is the pits.
    Nationally trains are totally fucked.
    Locally outside of cities public transport is totally impractical for anyone who actually needs to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!