The Car thread
  • Usually a more relaxing drive.

They don't deserve one though.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Automatics are for the people lazy bastards and Americans.
  • I like changing gear. It's quite satisfying.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Fascinating programme on fashion (yes) on R4 a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the fashion industry's carbon footprint is greater than that of the aviation and shipping industries combined. So everyone stop wearing clothes right now.

Been way ahead of you all for decades on that one
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nah. Automatics are the way forward some of the modern ones have 9 speeds which means they can be in the best gear more of the time. They're relaxing and easier to drive. It's possibly an age thing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Undeserving, dissatisfied, lazy bastards rule the world you manual cunts.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Might've got a bit defensive there.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Gears? Where we're going (fully electric cars that is), we don't need gears.
  • So yeah anyone got a cheap banger they want to sell me?

Or any £1000 recs? (I know I'm extremely limited here)

I see a lot of Civics on fb marketplace..
  • I've got a hyundai getz I can deliver to heysham for £500 sheets plus shipping.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I've never done it myself but heard of people going to second hand dealerships and asking if they have had anything traded in. Stuff that would otherwise go to auction.

Bob will be able to advise if that's worth doing I'm sure.
  • You can certainly ask. They're all getting a bit shy of doing it now as largely you can't get away without warranting stuff now like in the good old days.

Facebook is probably your best bet.. Find a local car selling group and see whats about.

£1000 is a minefield mind.. so if you know anyone mechanically minded who knows what they're doing ask them to go along with you.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Aye that'll be Haw Baw in his element. I'm asking for the world tbh. No city cars pls.
  • So yeah anyone got a cheap banger they want to sell me?

Or any £1000 recs? (I know I'm extremely limited here) I

I see a lot of Civics on fb marketplace..

Pick up a mark 4 golf tdi for under £1000. It will be diesel, but have torque and has space for luggage and passengers.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Nah. Automatics are the way forward some of the modern ones have 9 speeds which means they can be in the best gear more of the time. They're relaxing and easier to drive. It's possibly an age thing.

Having driven both extensively over the years they're both fine but like you say, auto is more chilled.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LWB Sprinter Hi-Top, I think a decent four moth contract is ahead pf me. I'm ahead on the rent, so very tempted to spent the xtra on becoming a techno-gypsey
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Well why didn't he say so?
  • Tesla model 3 on sale next week in UK £33,000 for standard model. Delivery q3/q4 this year.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I suspect that £33,000 was estimated before Tesla decided to start including basic Autopilot features (essentially adaptive cruise control) with all cars, which resulted in price increases across the range, and it must also assume that the Standard Range version (not SR+) will actually be available to order in the UK, which is by no means guaranteed, but I am looking forward to finding out the full details at last.
  • And if it is available to order what the waiting list is like. Common practice at launch to have an eye catching price model that you either can't get for ages or the available ones have all been built with lots of optional equipment to bump the price up.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    They certainly made US reservation holders wait for Standard Range and then almost immediately made it difficult for anyone else to order one when it became 'available'; in fact, they didn't ever build the original Standard Range specification, making Standard Range Plus cars available with features deactivated instead (including a software-limited battery, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing given that having spare capacity actually improves the performance of the battery when it's charging).
  • TTS has to go back into the garage yesterday. New grill was fitted, somehow they managed to put the rings at least 3” to the left of the centre. Was driving me mental waiting till they had a space to take the front off again.
  • Tesla are doing some machine learning stuff for security. After all, it has cameras and a machine learning chip connected to the cloud.

Racist cars at a garage near you.
  • Question for Bob (who works in car sales right?). Would i be mad to consider buying a used diesel nowdays? Also if my daily commute was say 5 miles return to work, would that also be a reason not to buy a diesel. Im aware of the DPF issue and having to take a diesel out for a 10-15 run at 60mph+ regularly to help clear the filters.
  • People are still buying Diesels so I guess not. There is a certain resistance now but they're still selling.

The DPF would be your issue there if it's all you ever do. Vauxhall ones are terrible but the one in my wifes Evoque has been fine with a once a year trip to the UK with 51 weeks of short runs.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Cheers bob ideally id like a used m140i but it maybe more sensible to go with a used 335d (minimum requirement would be a 6 cyclinder engine)
  • So in my new criteria I'm, like Dino did, getting recommended Golf's from 05-07ish. What's common things to look out for with them, if any?
  • So in my new criteria I'm, like Dino did, getting recommended Golf's from 05-07ish. What's common things to look out for with them, if any?

Rusting on the wheel arches, especially the front wings. Check the MOT date of any car as the emissions tests for MOT's have gotten tougher and you don't want to pay for that yourself. normally involves a major service and new filters to pass the MOT test now. Check life of the pads and discs as  they are diesels they have good torque at low rpm. If your getting a auto check for when the DSG gearbox was last serviced. If it has over 120,000 miles on it, check when the cambelt and water pump was changed. Missus has a MK5 golf so if you have any questions feel free.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!