The Car thread
  • Get an MR2 Roadster like mine for about a grand. Blow any spare money on the insurance.
  • I have no idea about the MR2 Roadster and im not disparaging it at all, but the MX5 has been called a "drivers car" and is fun. Maybe the same is said of the MR2 roadster.
  • This all sounds fun until my first MOT.
  • HPI check any car youre thinking of actually buying and check the mot history throughly. Used cars at the prices your looking at will have had alot of bits replaced over the years.

You could also pay for a AA / RAC inspection or take someone who really knows about the motor your buying to give it the once over.
  • Drove Scott's beemer yesterday and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it. Got the bug now.
    *looks at used 1 series'*
    *looks at insurance quotes*
    *cries*

I'll go on your insurance if it helps any.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Coming in here to try and be the voice of reason as I've tried on twitter. Gav got great advice in that he IS gonna bump and scratch his first car. Even in a car park setting. You need to really lower your eyes and get a thing that just gets you going. I know you will be, but tbh, driving a beemer doesn't help.
  • That was my view Reg.
    Get a banger for a year and save up for something better later that you wont fuck up.

It's not just scrapes but clutch, gear grinding, red lining and the associated brake hammering.

I imagine you will be facing ice up there as well so getting a front wheel drive car first is a good idea. In fact try to go on a skid pan course thing. They are good fun and can save you a lot of bother later down the line. If you skid you need to know what to do instinctively or it is too late.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I have no idea about the MR2 Roadster and im not disparaging it at all, but the MX5 has been called a "drivers car" and is fun. Maybe the same is said of the MR2 roadster.

Yeah get an Mx5 for a start it’s not mid engined which is gash and it has a boot and it looks nicer and if you get an 06 on model the roof is nicer and it’ll
    Have traction control

The Forum Herald™
  • Mid engines cars are gash. Bob has spoken.
  • To be fair it’s fine for f1 cars but it’s not what you want for day to day driving having passed your test ;)
    The Forum Herald™
  • But they are gash.. I mean that’s why they’re so popular

I mean you’ve got the Toyota previa, the new twingo and a hand full of super cars?? And they don’t make the previa any more. ;) or the mr2? The Mx5 is still in production

Draw your own conclusions
    The Forum Herald™
  • The Boxster and Cayman are quite successful, y’know.
  • I think Gav would really need to test drive an MX5 or an MR2, they arent ideal cars for folk over 6' and at 6'4" it's not likely to be a fun time.

I'm 6'2" and found the MX5 uncomfortable, either too close to the roof or with the roof down it was blowy as fuck, pretty sure I was in the slip stream the car was creating.
  • I'm not getting an MX5 or an MR2, that's for sure. I know I sound naive as fuck in here but I'm not a complete headcase ;)
  • Being sensible is great and all but the first car I bought was a Porsche 944. I’m not putting any suggestions out there Gav, I’m just saying …
  • poprock wrote:
    The Boxster and Cayman are quite successful, y’know.

That’d be in the handful of super cars ...
    The Forum Herald™
  • Supercars, lol.
  • Well super car / performance car Porsche are hardly a main stream brand and they’re not famous the mid engine car but whatever .. the point was made some one was Being pedantic and mid engine cars remain gash
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob, whats your thoughts on BMW moving away from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive for their main series's i.e. 1 and 3 etc. Do you think that will lead to an increase in sales to general public? I know BMW enthusiasts bemoan the move away from rear wheel drive, which is BMW DNA but the money is in FWD and AWD, plus point and shoot SUV's that go quickly (latter is a different point entirely).
  • I didn't know they where.. hmm it kind ofwaters down their claim to be the ultimate driving machine.. I'm not sure they're likely to sell many more cars.. they're like clits already.. Every cunts got one.
    The Forum Herald™
  • In the hot hatch segement the one thing that differentiated the 1 series M140i from the Golf R, Type-R, S3, i30N, RenaultSport RS etc was the fact that it was a six cyclinder 3 litre rear wheel driven car. The new M135x will be a 2 litre 4 cyclinder AWD car, which makes it the same as the competition. A AWD (X drive) 1 series will sell well with joe public, especially as there is more room at the back in the new 1 series (released at end of this year). However i think the howling beast that is the 340bhp M140i will be remember as a classic.

One day i will pick one up hopefully...when i can afford a used one.
  • not a fan of xDrive.. Had a 320 one and the engine was goosed and replacement engines are rare cos the one from a regular 320 won't fit.

It'll be interesting to see what motoring journalist think though.. they always cum about the feel of the steering on BMWs.. presumably cos it's not driving the wheels.. where as Audi are nearly always described as numb...
    The Forum Herald™
  • Audis understeer due to the haldex/quattero system and having tested a S3, it was very much a point and squirt car.

Motoring journos have been moaning about bmw ever since they replaced the hydraulic steering with electric steering. Sure they will moan about the loss of RWD. However as a BMW sales bloke said to me, consumer demand is for AWD and especially SUVs so they are going where the money is.

Its a shame, a woman down the road from me has a championship edition m140i, the sound of that 6 cylinder engine is glorious. Sigh.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Coming in here to try and be the voice of reason as I've tried on twitter. Gav got great advice in that he IS gonna bump and scratch his first car. Even in a car park setting. You need to really lower your eyes and get a thing that just gets you going. I know you will be, but tbh, driving a beemer doesn't help.
    LivDiv wrote:
    That was my view Reg.
    Get a banger for a year and save up for something better later that you wont fuck up.

It's not just scrapes but clutch, gear grinding, red lining and the associated brake hammering.

Replying to this now as I've been a bit miffed by the tone when I was jokingly referencing getting a BMW.
    Again, I know I'm naive as fuck when it comes to a bit of this but I'm not stupid enough in that I'll go out and get something that will cripple me financially. I'm not not listening to anyone's advice, I'm just looking for opinions and taking it on board, what's worked for people, what hasn't. I'm also just having fun. I'm excited, I like shiny stuff, and this is probably the most shiny thing I've had coming my way since the PSP launch and I got that official launch mag a few months previous and read it cover to cover over and over again cos I just wanted to know everything. It's how I am.

And Elm has made a good point to me in that it's a real small sample size I'm looking at here so I can't really take anything as gospel. There's a definite element of "My Way was how I done A Thing and it has done me Right so here it is, The Right Way" when it comes to all this. I appreciate it all, believe me, but I need to take a step back and respect what I'm told, but also find what is gonna be right for me. In reality, I still don't know if I'm gonna go Outright or Finance. We'll see. Wake up each day thinking differently. Need to pass first!

I don't fully buy into the "you're DEFINITELY gonna bump or scratch it" theory. Everyone's different, and like the "for every ten people I hear say Citroen! I have another ten going Citroen?!", I hear the same about bumps. Just cos you did doesn't mean I will. Just cos my Shona who got her first car two years ago (six years after actually passing and not driving since then) and hasn't put a scratch on it doesn't mean I will or won't too.

I'm just having a bit of fun and wanting to gather opinion, instead of feeling like a stupid little boy. Chill! I know that isn't people's intentions with me, and fuck I am difficult as they come at times, but I find MOTORING convos so easily slip that way. And trust, the humble pie will be cooked to perfection if I end up on the street or in a crash ;)

Anyway, in todays What I've Been Looking At, yo, I'm really impressed by the C3 Cactus and Pug 308 from recent years. I'm assuming they drive like actual dogs though?

Fuck I've went on a bit just trying to make a little point. No beef! I appreciate you all helping!
  • Quite right, Gav.  Also, I didn't crash, scrape or otherwise injure my first car, which was an ancient Polo I bought from one of my Mum's friends for £50.  I did however mash in the front of the next car (a Citroen VTR as it happens) which I paid £6K for.
  • Didn't crash my first car either. Or second, third, fourth.
    Never actually been at fault for a crash or even scraped a car.

Doesnt make it bad advice.
  • It’s all just banter Gav, don’t sweat it. Everyone’s different and the times are very different to when most of us bought first cars too.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Didn't crash my first car either. Or second, third, fourth. Never actually been at fault for a crash or even scraped a car. Doesnt make it bad advice.

Who said it was bad advice?
  • Gav ?

Chances are you’ll have some kind of incident early doors and I don’t believe anyone saying otherwise ...
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!