The Car thread
  • Well, the thing I was most fearful about in the Arnold Clark dealership came to fruition. Told the guy my credit score and he was like nah son this ain't happening, long story short. So my options are get absolutely shafted with a 30+% Apr, buy something over 10yr old outright, which I won't be ready to do for at least a month or two (and then obviously hope it doesn't need anything else to keep it going for the near to mid future), or, Bank Of Mum with her much better score taking the hit and me arranging payment with her, which I'd feel pretty guilty about doing. A bit gutted tbh, thought I could do it myself.

Stuff to think about.
  • Gav, that's a bit shit. Never take dealership apr on used cars it's a ripoff, especiallywhen it goes into double figures. You'd be better off with a low interest loan from a bank or some other financial provider and buy the var outright and pay the low interest loan back. Or just be patient and save money. You'll appreciate it much more having paid for it yourself.

Dunno what prices your looking at but I'd have though you could pick up a used golf or leon 10 years old for around £3500.
  • Bob’s probably your man for advice on this.

Try approaching your bank for a personal loan to buy a car, instead of approaching the car dealer for finance. You never know.
  • Does it have to be Arnold Clark? Other dealerships might be more friendly. Or what about a bank loan? I bought that Alfa I had with a £5K loan paid back over three years. I think the total I paid back was less than £5.5K so the interest was really quite low.

EDIT: Well I'm too fucking slow it seems.

• Tiger's Tip.

Get something old.

If you want it now, ask bank of mum to bankroll a bit until next month.

Don't get shafted.
  • I'm just going on what I'm being offered via a soft check for personal loans and car finance on ClearScore. It's all ridiculous Apr with very hefty monthly repayments, and only with a 70% chance of being accepted. My mum has 90-100% of being accepted for the same amount with just a few % Apr, and it's within my monthly budget.

When I go to the loans bit of my RBS app it just tells me nah, not for you pal.
  • Interest rates are probably haggle-able if you have a good score. Difficult to say there's no consumer credit act here so I'm a bit out of touch.

If you're going to go cheap though make sure it's cheap enough that you can throw it away if something goes wrong and buy something else.

The number of people I see who are running bangers and have spent thousands on them.. ridic.

If you want any car valuing or a deal checking out though gav just ask.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Or ask your mum to guarantor - She shouldn't be bothered at all if you make the payments mate.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I know, it's looking like that's gonna be what I'll have to do. It's just the self-appointed extreme guilt I'll give myself I won't enjoy. She's in her 60s ffs. She's happy to do it, I'm reluctant but what else can I do?
  • to be honest cheap cars are usually a false economy.

Best advice is to shop around and take your time to try a few and see what you like. Pick somewhere you trust and don't be scared of haggling.. just be realistic. They can only say no. Most small independent dealers in the uk tell me they don't discount as the internet means you've got to be priced very sensibly now.. I'd still expect most main dealers to knock a couple of hundred quid off.. and don't be scared to compare interest rates if you are going for motor finance.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I’ve rarely bought cars from dealers, but when I have I’ve found them surprisingly reluctant to knock money off second-hand cars … but happy to throw in extras at the same price. Tank of fuel, set of tyres, year’s insurance, etc.
  • yeah it's adds value but they don't pay retail so it's something we do.

Some new cars have very little margin on .. it depends how competitive the price is and whether the salesman is on profit retained bonus.
    The Forum Herald™
  • You guys come across Scott Kilmer on YouTube? Old mechanic with 2mil plus subscribers. Hes an entertaining watch. He has three cars in his household 2 x Toyota and 1 x lexus (built by Toyota) all from the mid 90s. He says the Toyotas of the mid 90s to late 90s are as bulletproof as any car can get get. He has a celica which he bought for $350 with over 200,000 in the clock and it's still pretty much running all original parts bar pads and discs.

Well worth a watch
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd also suggest that you keep the Golf in your head for the minute and pick up a banger for the time being. It's your first car not your last car
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's the Japanese Mercedes!
  • Gav, shame your so far away I know of two golfs going for a grand each, 04 and 05 plates. Full mot history, blah blah blah.
  • Interesting that South Korean cars do better in reliability stakes than the Japanese who were the market leaders for reliability
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Gav, shame your so far away I know of two golfs going for a grand each, 04 and 05 plates. Full mot history, blah blah blah.

Bah. Cheers mate.

I suppose me looking at older cars outright means maybe I can actually look at the other German brands seriously now.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Interesting that South Korean cars do better in reliability stakes than the Japanese who were the market leaders for reliability

I’d suggest that’s probably down to Toyota out sourcing some of its engines and with PSA units

The Forum Herald™
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Gav, shame your so far away I know of two golfs going for a grand each, 04 and 05 plates. Full mot history, blah blah blah.

Bah. Cheers mate.

I suppose me looking at older cars outright means maybe I can actually look at the other German brands seriously now.

Gav, why not have a look at late 90s, early 00s Japanese cars. Used ones are supposed to be very reliable and you could have a lot of fun in a Toyota celica or a Honda s2000 etc.
  • But he already said no to an MR2 or MX-5.

(A Celica would be a good option. Cheap as fuck, relatively simple for an independent garage to fix/maintain for you, tons of fun, etc. Downside is going to be high insurance for you.)
  • last time i checked s2000 values where going through the roof
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    last time i checked s2000 values where going through the roof

I had no idea. Why? Lack of production numbers?
  • I'm seeing '08 Mazda 3's for a grand. They look nice.

Also catching wind of a workmate apparently trying to sell his TT. Had offers for 1k and 800 and both have been no shows. Might chance a 600 offer for the ultimate luls. Can you imagine? It'd be hilarity.
  • I'm seeing '08 Mazda 3's for a grand. .

That’s the man for the job reliable we’ll equipped and not uncool
    The Forum Herald™
  • Get a KA like ol' Tigro the chicks dig it.
  • I'm seeing '08 Mazda 3's for a grand. They look nice.

Also catching wind of a workmate apparently trying to sell his TT. Had offers for 1k and 800 and both have been no shows. Might chance a 600 offer for the ultimate luls. Can you imagine? It'd be hilarity.

Whatever you buy used, get a mechanic or someone who knows his stuff to look it over for you. You can pay for AA or RAC mechanic to give the car the once over for you. A laptop with the diagnostic software is normally a given nowadays since people can turn faults off on the laptop and you'd be none the wiser. When I bought my wifes golf i took a mates laptop with the VW diagnostic software on it and plugged it into the car and ran it. The dealership was true to their word that i wouldnt find any diagnostic faults, I didn't but it pays to be sure. I didn't take anyone with me to buy her car as I'd owned a golf myself for a number of years so I knew what to look out for. When I bought my first car I took my uncle with me who knew shed loads about cars and he looked over my first purchase to be and gave it the thumbs up.

OR you could get Bob to try to find you a car, then go down to pick it up and meet Bob and Vere as they live on the same island and drive it back up to Glasgow. That sounds more fun.
  • Bob wrote:
    last time i checked s2000 values where going through the roof

They are. Which I’m sure makes Unlikely quite happy.
  • Last time he mentioned it I'm sure it was a non-runner.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!