The Car thread
  • Yeah, I definitely drove tractors on the road when I was 15 or so. Just between farms when working in the summer etc. I was actually doing ploughing, not just joyriding.
  • Anyone else think these touchscreen cabins ala the golf mk8 look abit shit? Dunno about you guys but i dont want touch sensitive climate controls, i want to use a physical button. Or touch sensitive controls on the steering wheel?

These newer cars are going to date badly in a few years. The gloss piano black stuff with be wrecked and all the touch sensitive stuff will have broken.

Also i think the new golf looks shit especially the gti. The mk 7.5 is a mean looking gti. Its like the new bmw's the buggs bunny teeth make them look shit.

Might be time to go away from this crap and to japanese reliability ala mazda, lexus, honda, toyota etc.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can't use a touch screen without looking at it. I can with physical buttons. I know which is safer when driving.
  • Yep. Touchscreens, especially those without haptic feedback, are a shit idea in cars. Always have been.
  • Our car is pretty much entire touch panel and is fine to use.  You get used to it pretty quickly - just like everything new.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Our car is pretty much entire touch panel and is fine to use.  You get used to it pretty quickly - just like everything new.
    Can you operate it, switch between menus etc, without looking at it though?
  • Well if I can type wirhourblookinfbthenbi think I'll be ok

Ah.
  • If it’s dangerous to operate your phone while driving, or your satnav, then I figure a touchscreen dash is the same.

I’m sure I could do it, and even enjoy it, but I don’t think it’s particularly safe.
  • I don’t know what you think I’m doing with it tbh?  It sets the air con and blowers, heated seats etc.  It’s a pretty big area really (kinda like the whole centre console bit really) so I’m presuming you don’t have to be that accurate with what you’re jaffing at.  The sat Nav can’t be set whilst you’re driving anyway (unless you’re the passenger so you’re not going about any roads hitting 80 and typing that you want to get to Stoke Newington or owt.  It has a little hud onto the windscreen too which is also handy.
  • The climate control is a physical dial!  Set within the screen.
  • I wonder whst state these consoles will be in when get hold of one of these cars in 15 years time. Granted the quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Honda had to put a physical button back in the civic (for volume) due to the demand from customers.

Uncle, what car do you have?
  • There is also a physical volume button that i never use because of all the stuff on the wheel. 
    Dino

I have a Range Rover and so now you can all shout and mock me even more.
  • It'll all be voice and gesture and haptic feedback so strong that'll take your fingerprints off you.

I won't mock unless you have called it "the Range" in conversation.
  • It’s actually half useful for me in that it works as part of my job.  As in it can move stuff about and drive through fields to pick trees and what have you and still get me to the shops or to a meeting where i may need to appear professional or look like i may know what I’m doing.
  • But also my wife drives it to the shops so I’m not fully immune to being called a wanker.
  • Nothing wrong with a Rangie.

I used to drive a Defender, long ago in the dim and distant past.

I can dig the idea of physical controls for important stuff and a touchscreen for non-essentials. What I worry about is stuff like changing playlists on the motorway at 70mph (exactly 70mph, officer, yes) or putting a new destination into the satnav while on the move. Drivers shouldn’t be doing those things but we know many do.
  • poprock wrote:
    Nothing wrong with a Rangie.

aeriBvL.gif
  • Voice control will eventually be good enough to deal with that. Shame that right now voice control may as well be talking to a deaf, drunk squirrel with one arm
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, I'm not so sure it's that bad. Google Home understanbd near on everything I ask, admittedly it often replies, with "I'm not sure how to do that yet"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • There is also a physical volume button that i never use because of all the stuff on the wheel. 
    Dino

I have a Range Rover and so now you can all shout and mock me even more.

Nothing wrong with a range rover, it does the job for you. I wouldnt say no to one. Physical controls on the wheel are cool, unless it a Mercedesthen its just overkill. What i didnt like is the new golf controls on the wheel themselves are touch sensitive and dont have haptic feedback. Its a golf, there have to be sacrifices.

Also i have no issue with touch screen infotainment systems, its some of the more traditional buttons such as volume or climate control that i am not a fan of being touch buttons. Your passengers will get their grubby hands all over the console as well.

Also agree with funkstain, voice control is abit pants at moment.
  • Voice control is shit for everything on everything except homepods and getting 4od to launch in Glasgow.
  • Voice control is shit for everything on everything except homepods and getting 4od to launch in Glasgow.

https://youtu.be/TqAu-DDlINs
  • ELEVEN.

(I didn’t click the link. Did I guess right?)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Voice control will eventually be good enough to deal with that. Shame that right now voice control may as well be talking to a deaf, drunk squirrel with one arm

Got a new Merc this year and the voice control is far better than Siri. Sat nav, phone, heating, radio etc all pretty much work first time. It’s also clever enough if you say something like I’m cold it will up the heating.

And yes touch as the main input is fucking ridiculous in cars. Tesla’s I’m looking at you. I also think a plain dash with no switches doesn’t make me want to drive it weirdly. It’s probably that boyhood thing of wanting to be a pilot. Clicky chrome switches ahhh

• The new c63 Mercedes is dropping the v8 and is going to be 4 pot twin turbo. Im guessing turbo reliability will increase seeing as more manufacturers will use it to get to the required HP. Obviously turbos do increase engine wear and twin turbos probably increase that quicker? I wonder if in future we will see less turbos in cars as hybrid engine model becomes more prevalent. Its a sad future, no v8, no v6, no turbos, no superchargers, just hybrid engines and CVTs (shudder).
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Hmm, I'm not so sure it's that bad. Google Home understanbd near on everything I ask, admittedly it often replies, with "I'm not sure how to do that yet"

Sure but I was talking about car versions. Merc probably has best based on reviews and unc’s comments, but some way from home Alexa and even Siri
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    ELEVEN. (I didn’t click the link. Did I guess right?)

What was your guess again?
  • *launches 4OD*
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!