The Car thread
  • Dream 3 car garage:

1. Have to be road legal cars
    2. One has to be the the family day out/school run/dump run car.

1. Audi RS4 2020
    2. BMW M2 Competition 2019
    3. Mercedes G63 AMG wagon.
  • 1. Mazda MX-5 modded cabin to fit me.
    2. Audi RS6 for the school run
    3. Nissan GTR
  • poprock wrote:
    No budget restrictions?

Nope, just road legal
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A Maserrati Quattroporte would have to be my daily runaround, because I don't think there is a prettier 4 door around.

And Aston Martin DB5, looking like a classic, but with fully modernised running gear.

Not sure what my no. 3 would be, probably a ferrari of some description.
  • Off the top of my head:

1.TVR Sagaris - Such an agressive looking car and although Speed 6 engine was notoriously unreliable most issues have now been ironed out by ex factory working indie mechanics. Prices now going through roof.

tvr-sagaris.jpg

2. Lancia Stratos. Think MX5 on steroids. Couldn't think of a more fun car to drive.

3. Volkswagen Corrado VR6 Storm (my family car) Personal choice. I had one when I was 21 and it was my pride and joy. Fast, responsive and predictable in a way that you didn't feel like you were going to kill yourself.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • 1. Early 80s 911 Turbo.

2. 1949 Chevy pickup. Slammed low all cleaned up and with modern brakes etc.

3. Whatever a decent electric car is. Probably a Tesla at the moment.
  • Just got a press release about updates to the Taycan range from Porsche. (Now that I’ve started to see Taycans in the metal around Glasgow, I’m quite impressed – it’s a handsome car.) This is new to me though. Porsche are now offering ‘Features on Demand’. Upgrades to your car that you can choose to either subscribe to (monthly fee) or buy outright. Software updates, basically.

I know Tesla do this already. First time I’ve seen a major traditional manufacturer do it. And Tesla don’t offer the ‘buy outright’ option.

I figured this sort of thing would be for obvious stuff like navigation. But no. It includes things like improved (more intelligent/adaptive) power steering.
  • 1. F40

2. Porsche carrera gt

3. Some kind of suv for every day use probably a velar
    The Forum Herald™
  • Other than Gav, you're all crazy re: practical family runabout. SUVs suck for practicality compared to estates / wagons; they suck in terms of dynamics, comfort, tech/features and performance compared to estates / wagons; and they suck at safety in comparison.

The RS6 avant is clearly an absolute beast, but I'd take the E63 estate for its truly cavernous boot and genuinely practical comfort.
  • The Maserati is a truly desirable "family" car but saloons can kiss my arse when it comes to loading a kid's bike or decent holiday luggage
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I will employ someone to move anything more than my wicker picnic basket if I ever manage to buy those cars.
  • I dont have or plan to have kids so loading up a car with kids bikes would be an odd priority.
  • Aerial nomad

Mercedes amg g wagon

Ferrari sf90 stradale
    PSN - minkymu
  • In real life im buying a 70 plate VW Up GTi
    PSN - minkymu
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Other than Gav, you're all crazy

O/

Although I don't think my modded MX-5 would be road legal?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Other than Gav, you're all crazy re: practical family runabout. SUVs suck for practicality compared to estates / wagons; they suck in terms of dynamics, comfort, tech/features and performance compared to estates / wagons; and they suck at safety in comparison.

The RS6 avant is clearly an absolute beast, but I'd take the E63 estate for its truly cavernous boot and genuinely practical comfort.

Our SUV Volvo V40 hybrid is nippy, comfortable, has all the graphics (voice commands and ting) plus a lovely view over estate cars, but as ever YMMV.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • LivDiv wrote:

2. 1949 Chevy pickup. Slammed low all cleaned up and with modern brakes etc.

Forgot about the American muscle era, but a 1968 Dodge Charger with that huge death grille would be right up my street and a good family car until you needed to park it.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Other than Gav, you're all crazy re: practical family runabout. SUVs suck for practicality compared to estates / wagons; they suck in terms of dynamics, comfort, tech/features and performance compared to estates / wagons; and they suck at safety in comparison. The RS6 avant is clearly an absolute beast, but I'd take the E63 estate for its truly cavernous boot and genuinely practical comfort.
    Our SUV Volvo V40 hybrid is nippy, comfortable, has all the graphics (voice commands and ting) plus a lovely view over estate cars, but as ever YMMV.

You're right my estate would get better mileage too, because it weighs less and hasn't got such huge wheels to stiffen the ride

Are you talking about the XC40 hybrid tho? that's a lovely compact SUV, but cripes it's expensive. My wife is Slovak and there's an old song / lament there about a woman being as expensive as a Volvo, I know what they mean
  • First thing to determine for a three-car garage is what roles you want to fill.

Sporty, daily, and off-road?
    Classic, daily and practical load-lugger?
    Track toy, daily and grand tourer?
    Track toy, practical daily and perpetual project?

There are so many variables. I can barely even start.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:

Are you talking about the XC40 hybrid tho? that's a lovely compact SUV, but cripes it's expensive. My wife is Slovak and there's an old song / lament there about a woman being as expensive as a Volvo, I know what they mean

Yes, I'd forgotten the model number, we just call her Meatball.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I reckon it's the best looking compact SUV on the road
  • poprock wrote:
    First thing to determine for a three-car garage is what roles you want to fill.

Sporty, daily, and off-road?
    Classic, daily and practical load-lugger?
    Track toy, daily and grand tourer?
    Track toy, practical daily and perpetual project?

There are so many variables. I can barely even start.

Haha, I had a list but changed it many times and gave up. Money no object I'd defo have some supercar type thing like a lamb tho
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I dont think I would ever want a super car.
    They strike me as a pain in the arse to manage and drive.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I dont think I would ever want a super car.
    They strike me as a pain in the arse to manage and drive.

Agree. If i ever one the lottery id join one of those supercar clubs where you can drive from a selection of supercars on a track but you dont own them. Membership is probably eyewatering.
  • In most cases, buying a supercar is like actively choosing to date the crazy girl. You know it’s not a good idea, but you just really want to.
  • My ideal trio:

BMW i8 (practical because it uses less petrol)
    Nissan 350Z
    TipTop VWgolf.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    A Jeep, probably a Rubicon and yellow or orange. Just enough mods that you can pass through rivers without worrying it might drown. Will be top off most of the year, and camping / road trip ready.

Probably a Subaru Outback as a daily. Can still go on road trips and off road with that on days the open Jeep is too cold without worrying to get stuck on dirt roads, in case you encounter them.

Mazda Miata, because B would like one.

But then Liv mentioned a Tesla, and now I'm not sure. The Outback would probably go, it's mainly there as it's a car we've actually looked at, I still like them when I see them and we needed something with a roof between the other two.

I can actually use the Jeep for shopping, you just need to deal with Americans who aren't wearing a face mask leaning over into your car, jokingly asking if the air conditioner is on.
  • poprock wrote:
    In most cases, buying a supercar is like actively choosing to date the crazy girl. You know it’s not a good idea, but you just really want to.

Hey it's me
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!