The Car thread
  • It’s different in that Bowler were already the ‘officially unofficial’ modifier of Land Rover Defenders. They’ve tons of proven success building rally-spec Landies. If you’re going to give this license to anyone, it should be Bowler.

I imagine people like Kahn, Overfinch, and Twisted (who always made cosmetic rather than performance mods) are pretty narked by it.
  • Bob wrote:
    It’s a bit like when renault sold the 12 shape to Dacia or fiat sold the shape to Lada!

Jeez, I learnt to drive in a Renault 12, it’s pretty much the ugliest car ever made. If they managed to sell the shape, that’s outstanding work.
  • Latest Top Gear.
    Totally agree with them on the Honda E.
    Great looking car but the price and range is held back by the excessive tech.
    Also that Mini looks fuck awful.

I like how they have done the social distance thing, making it like a drive-in thing. They should definitely stick with that maybe even embrace it later and talk to the audience about the cars they have brought along.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Latest Top Gear. Totally agree with them on the Honda E. Great looking car but the price and range is held back by the excessive tech. Also that Mini looks fuck awful. I like how they have done the social distance thing, making it like a drive-in thing. They should definitely stick with that maybe even embrace it later and talk to the audience about the cars they have brought along.

Yeah I posted about it in the TV thread.

Best episode of the series. Genuinely funny. Good car test. Should've included the Gen 2 leaf really as it's a cracking car and great value.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Epsiodes 1 & 2 are my favs of this series. That Honda E needs to be around the 18k-20k price point to have a significant impact. Also all this touchscreen stuff is bollocks.
  • It looks nice in the flesh. My boss has bought one.

But yeah it's ridiculously under ranged for a modern one.

The new leaf has a good enough range you don't worry about it all the time like you used to in the old one.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The higher capacity one maybe. We’ve got a new lower-capacity & the range is shit, fine while my partner’s mostly working from home but we’ll be trading up next time. Because the car itself is great.
  • The old one did 60 with the heater on. That was shit. This one is lower range and will do upto 140
    The Forum Herald™
  • At the moment we’re getting about 100. We need to charge it twice a week, and I was hoping for once, especially as the space isn’t always available. I think getting the bigger one next time will sort it though.
  • Is driving a fully electric car as enjoyable as an ICE car? Or just different.
  • JMW wrote:
    At the moment we’re getting about 100. We need to charge it twice a week, and I was hoping for once, especially as the space isn’t always available. I think getting the bigger one next time will sort it though.

Have you tried the Eco mode and switching the heat off even if you have the blower working? Not trying to teach to suck eggs obviously but the heater is a huge drain on the range.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Is driving a fully electric car as enjoyable as an ICE car? Or just different.

I've only driven a leaf and a i3. The i3 is almost on bicycle tyres so I can't imagine it's a lot of fun.

The new leaf has an e-pedal. Turn the Eco mode off so you get max power and it's fast off the line but it's not the kind of thing you're going to have a hoot in.

The mini looked fun to drive and I'm sure you could spec one up with out the awful wheels.

The worst thing is that most EV owners become 'enthusiasts' and bore the fucking pants off you.

No kidding I've had them ring up to ask whether a leaf was built in Japan or Sunderland as the JAp ones are allegedly better.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob just tell them the leaf's you have are JDM and stick a badge in the car somewhere and up the price by a few grand.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    The worst thing is that most EV owners become 'enthusiasts' and bore the fucking pants off you.

I could tell you all about my experience with my EV over the two and a bit months I've owned it so far, but I won't bore the fucking pants off you. I hope to never have to drive a non-EV again though.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I could tell you all about my experience with my EV over the two and a bit months I've owned it so far, but I won't bore the fucking pants off you. I hope to never have to drive a non-EV again though.

you've gotta call them 'dirty ICE' and your journey is complete
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Dirty ICE!
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Dirty ICE!

55c22f7f371d2211008bd06a?width=1200&format=jpeg

You
    The Forum Herald™
  • New Golf R, video starts properly at 4:45min. The MK7/7.5 golf looked so much better as GTI and R.

• After four years in the barn the S2000 went for what was expected to be a painfully expensive MOT. Garage says it is doing well, just a seized caliper and a couple of other minor fails. Quote to get it back on the road, including the cost of the MOT, is £350. I am happy.
  • I think it's a Honda, not a Triumph...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That Golf is so fucking unimpressive.
    For a start its a 5 door. Sums up everything wrong with modern hot hatches. The people driving them should not want a 5 door and people wanting a 5 door should not be in them.
    Not to mention 5 doors will always handle worse.

It really doesn't look all that different to an old MK.3 when comparing to a Seat, Civic, 1 Series, Merc. There isnt a coherence, just a family car with exhausts.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Quote to get it back on the road, including the cost of the MOT, is £350.

Hurrah!

Gotta say, owning a Japanese sports car has been a revelation for me. Aside from the shitty handbrake, it just works. I don’t have to do much. And any minor repairs are actually quite cheap.
  • I genuinely thought I'd need some mechanical work done to my mazda in its mot last week. Okay its not a sportscar but I kick it's arse, still naively over-rev all over the place, depending on footwear.

Nope. Sailed through it. My response on the phone was "what? fucking hell!", mot dude replied "aye a know!"

:)
  • Good stuff Gav.
    There are things you can do to keep it up as well.
    Some Redex once or twice a year. Rotate the wheels if you are getting uneven tyre wear.
    Check the tyre pressures on the regular.
    Don't ride the clutch or the brakes, just chill.
    Check and change the oil.
  • More advanced but entirely possible is brakes.
    Invest in a proper jack and meaty socket set and disc/pad changes are a driveway job.
    Proper bloke points as well. As much as we all aim to be Liberal here nothing makes you feel manly like fixing cars.
  • There's no way I would fuck about with the brakes.
  • You can save yourself a fair bit of cash in the long run if you can change the pads, discs and calipers yourself. Though you need to have the time to do it properly.

Never used redex before in the fuel.
  • I wouldn’t fuck about with brakes either but what you can do is source your own bits as obvs the garage mark them up. As long as you get the right bits that’ll save you some cash.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Anyone own a Land Rover? I picked up my new car 3 weeks ago and it’s now back with the dealer expected return to me January due to all the faults.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!