Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Pads are fine, calipers not so much.
  • Anyone own a Land Rover? I picked up my new car 3 weeks ago and it’s now back with the dealer expected return to me January due to all the faults.

Welcome to Land Rover ownership. Goober posted a table a page or two back and LR are down at bottom of the reliability table at 76%. Something like 10% adrift of the next car brand ahead of it in the table.

Soz to hear you are having problems but is well known with that brand.
  • Nope

Rank Brand Score
    1. Lexus 98.7%
    2. Mitsubishi 97.9%
    3. Toyota 97.7%
    4. Mini 96.8%
    5. Skoda 96.4%
    6. Hyundai 96.3%
    7. Kia 95.9%
    8. Honda 95.3%
    =9. BMW 95.2%
    =9 Mazda 95.2%
    11. Alfa Romeo 94.6%
    =12. Fiat 94.5%
    =12. Subaru 94.5%
    =14. Dacia 94.4%
    =14. Suzuki 94.4%
    =16. Citroën 93.8%
    =16. Volvo 93.8%
    18. Ford 93.7%
    19. Seat 93.6%
    20. Volkswagen 93.2%
    21. Jaguar 91.8%
    =22. Audi 91.5%
    =22. MG 91.5%
    =22. Porsche 91.5%
    25. Peugeot 91.1%
    26. Mercedes 91.0%
    =27. Nissan 90.1%
    =27. Vauxhall 90.1%
    29. Tesla 88.6%
    30. Renault 87.6%
    31. Land Rover 78.2%

• I had brakes totally fail on me about 8 years ago and it was scary af.
  • Just had a call from the garage.  That's the S2000 with an MOT once again and I am unreasonably excited.
  • So we’ve just picked up the car, and the dealer has messed up the factory order: it has no rear window wiper, despite us signing an order form requesting one. It’s impossible to retrofit, so they’ve given us two options: refuse the car, or take £250 goodwill.

Now, we’re not too bothered about the wiper, and we absolutely wanted to get the car before brexit. However they did fuck it up, after I triple checked with them.

I’ve gone back asking for a grand (piss take I know, but gotta negotiate right?), but what should I be happy with? Is £250 ok, or should I not settle for less than £500? Would appreciate Bob’s view on this, what would you do?
  • You have to request rear wipers these days?
    Jesus.
  • Sorry missed this ? What car is it? How much was the option ? How will it effect resale ? Essentially the law says you shouldn’t be left in a worse position.

You’ve done the right thing Cos they definitely won’t have opened with their best offer.

They maybe more aminable to things like a free service or extended warranty then hard cash though
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'd refuse the car. Fuck having no rear wiper in this country.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    I'd refuse the car. Fuck having no rear wiper in this country.

Rear wipers are over rated
    The Forum Herald™
  • When conditions get bad just drive faster than everyone else. Job done.
  • I used to know a German girl
    That had no rear window on her mk1 gold
    Cab I used to say it was Cos she wasn’t used to retreating across Europe
    The Forum Herald™
  • LivDiv wrote:
    You have to request rear wipers these days?
    Jesus.

Yeah surprised me too. It’s a zero cost option, like “we’ll put it on if you want it” but it’s quite complicated, motors, different wiper stalk, water pipe from front to rear for washing etc.

Bob wrote:
    Sorry missed this ? What car is it? How much was the option ? How will it effect resale ? Essentially the law says you shouldn’t be left in a worse position.

You’ve done the right thing Cos they definitely won’t have opened with their best offer.

They maybe more aminable to things like a free service or extended warranty then hard cash though

Thanks Bob, they did offer a service on our old car but that is scrap yard bound so not much good. We already have extended warranty thrown in, and two years servicing as well... so I’ll try and get a bit more cash from them. We didn’t negotiate super hard on the price, everyone’s gotta make a living right, so they’ll have headroom I’d’ve thought. It’s a Skoda superb hatch, dunno about resale I’m guessing zero impact though and it’s a zero cost option so not going for much
  • Ah then essentially it probably comes down to whether you can wait .. mistakes happen . It sounds like
    A
    Great car!
    The Forum Herald™
  • g.man wrote:

+1

I had to have my rear wiper motor changed recently. Glad I did, not being able to see out of tye rear window when driving in this country and the conditions is a right pain in the arse.
  • Yeah but: brexit. Could be waiting too long for the car, no? Plus extra charges and import costs / duty. And we need it for Christmas this year

Yes Bob that’s my view. Mistakes happen. If they offer any more than the £250 I’ll bite
  • Thanks dudes! Such a useful forum :)
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    g.man wrote:

+1

I had to have my rear wiper motor changed recently. Glad I did, not being able to see out of tye rear window when driving in this country and the conditions is a right pain in the arse.

Eh our old hatch golf wiper stopped working years ago and we didn’t miss it much
  • I used to remove the rear wiper on all my old Porsches. I find it depends on the shape of the car. If you have a hatchback, or anything with a near-vertical rear window, you’ll be glad of that wiper. If it’s more of a coupé, sports, or saloon, with a more sloped rear window, you can do without.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I was somewhat surprised to realise that the Tesla Model S doesn't have a rear wiper, although so far it hasn't been an issue, even during some complete deluges, although I was barely able to see out of the front with the wipers on full blast at times so I wasn't really thinking about looking to see how the back window was getting on. Presumably the aerodynamics are such to encourage water to slide off the rear window of its own accord.
  • As some one already said slopey ones are ok mostly. Estate cars and flat backed cars get very dirty so it's handy more for wash/wipe. Depends how clean you keep  your car I guess. The Honda Civic two generations ago didn't have one at all.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Its not an MOT fail to not have a working rear wiper if you have one. I always thought it was.
  • It’s the sort of thing unscrupulous garages will flag up to you as a fail (or an advisory) despite it not being part of the required test.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    But it is an MOT fail to have one of two reversing lights not working - this worried me briefly the day before my MOT the other month when I spotted that the reversing light only came on on one side of the Tesla, although I subsequently realised that UK models have a fog light at the other side rather than a second reversing light...
  • If you’re ever in any doubt about this sort of thing, it’s easy to read the official test requirements online. They’re nice and clear. And if a garage get them wrong, they can be punished by having their license to perform MOTs revoked – so you have plenty of leverage for complaints.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    They’re nice and clear.

Makes a change! I'll have a look in advance of next year's MOT.
  • S2000 collected and is back home again.  Going to get it serviced before getting it back on the road properly but that's it with a valid MOT and I am a happy man.
  • Got a new shape Corsa sri turbo as a loan car while the birds car is in the garage.

Im impressed. Cherry red metallic, black roof , nice diamond cut alloys, really plush interior.

That turbo engine though. Its only a 1.2 but the torque is pretty good. Put your foot down and it just fucks off
    PSN - minkymu
  • Reviews of the Yaris Garmin have started to land today. It’s even more universally loved by car journalists than the Suzuki Jimny and Alpine A110.
  • Yaris Garbage more like, it's orrible looking.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!