The Car thread
  • This is a good watch, its in reference to F1 but the underlying technology is the same for potential road cars. Hydrogen fuel cell tech would a few positive benefits. 1) only water would come out of the exhuast pipe. 2) car manufacturers would have to improve car saftey to safely use hydrogen, im thinking tanks with the strength of the F1 monocoques. 3) Car manufacturers would need to stop cutting corners with parts and ensure their cars ran without issues for longer to ensure the safe transport of the hydrogen and the people in the vehicles i.e. have the entire industry move towards the reliability benchmark that is toyota/lexus.

• Car is fucked.
    Had to abandon it in a village nearby and get my dad to pick me up.

Almost certain it is bad fuel/water in fuel. Came off a roundabout and lost power. It was sputtering and jumping all over they place.

The road I was on was no place to be leaving a car so I redlined it to get fuel into the engine then used the clutch to regulate some kind of speed for about 1.5 miles. I was initially trying to get it home which was maybe 2.5 miles but I was lucky to get it as far as I did.

No warning lights on the dash. It hasn't gone into limp mode either. The car thinks it is OK at least.

Gonna have to make a decision tomorrow. It has 3/4s of a tank of fuel in it so adding anything like Heet may not work. Siphoning that much fuel in the middle of a quant village doesn't seem ideal.
    Will likely have to get a flatbed out and go from there, my bro will hopefully have some contacts around here from having to move various hot rods and project cars around.
  • That's an absolute pisser mate. Hope you can get things sorted tomorrow.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cheers mate.
    The worst thing will be getting the car somewhere more appropriate
  • Aye, sounds like recovery is your best bet Liv. Unlucky. No membership of the AA or similar to get it towed to a garage?
  • Nah.
    I will double check I dont have a freebie with my bank or whatever but in general I dont go very far and dont need my car for work so always saw it as a false economy.
    Even paying to get this towed will be cheaper than what I would have spent over the years.
  • Fair. I get AA membership free with my bank account, so I’ve used it quite a lot over the years.
  • poprock wrote:
    Fair. I get AA membership free with my bank account, so I’ve used it quite a lot over the years.

Same here with bank account. Its useful.
  • Naive question here, but fuck it. Does revving my car when I get in it in the morning make the cabin warm up quicker? I've somehow convinced myself that this is good logic but I need something more concrete and actually based in fact.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Fair. I get AA membership free with my bank account, so I’ve used it quite a lot over the years.

Checked mine and no luck.
    Might be something to look into
    I'm with Nationwide on their base Flex account which gets you nothing. FlexPlus I think has recovery.
  • Naive question here, but fuck it. Does revving my car when I get in it in the morning make the cabin warm up quicker? I've somehow convinced myself that this is good logic but I need something more concrete and actually based in fact.

Yes but the damage it will do if done regularly is probably not really worth the small gain in heating.

The blowers basically work by pulling hot air from the engine, so the hotter the engine the hotter the air can be. I can confirm after this evening that revving the engine does indeed make it very hot. Pro tip, if your car is ever overheating put the blower on max strength and heat then open the windows.

My bro's old 7 Series had a feature where you could preheat the car from the key fob but that used the heated seats and steering wheel to do it. Those run off elements like a kettle or bar heater.
  • Aye, revving a cold engine (especially in winter) isn't a great strategy.
  • Okey dokey I'll calm that shit down and put on some extra socks :)
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    poprock wrote:

Checked mine and no luck.
    Might be something to look into
    I'm with Nationwide on their base Flex account which gets you nothing. FlexPlus I think has recovery.

Halifax ultimate reward gives you AA breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance, home emergency cover and travel insurance (last one is abit moot at moment).
  • My car is still fucked btw.
    Checked everything regarding fuel but it all seemed good. Tried new coil packs with no luck.

Eventually got a BMW bloke with a computer to come out to diagnose.
    The long and short of it is the drive chain has skipped some teeth causing the variable timing jiggery to shit itself because it can't work out what is going on. This is why it was running erratically, not varying fuel but the car injecting varying amounts randomly.
    Odds are it is a tensioner or similar that has corroded and given way.
    Its gonna be £600 if it goes smoothly, if the tensioner has broken and plastic has got in the sump £800. Nearly all labour (fucking marxists). They are picking it up tomorrow.

The good news mind is that the 116 engine is designed to deal with this. A lot of engines would have just ended up with the engine destroying itself rapidly and dramatically.

Oh well. Cant do much about it but get it fixed. The car isnt worth too much more than that but I have just had a load of other long mileage stuff done.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nothing but bother those old age tensioners
  • Brilliant.
  • AA membership is excellent value
    The Forum Herald™
  • They wouldn't have fixed that mate.
    Unless they bring a lift and spend a week by the road.
  • Still much cheaper than getting towed - we got a flat tyre at centre parcs .. aa man got In, plugged it. then followed me to the tyre place got
    Me the right tyre made sure it was fitted then waved me a cheery bye bye. I paid for a tyre. I shudder how much a regular garage would have charged
    The Forum Herald™
  • Is ham wrap code for flat tyre?

Tbh I've been driving 15 years and this is my first tow at £70 so its worked out alright for me.

All situational though innit.
    If I had kids, drove long distances, lived on an island I would have breakdown cover for sure.

• A special little car. Made for homogenization reasons so toyota could take it rallying. Only 25,000 made worldwide. It only shares 3 parts with a normal yaris: front and rear lights and wing mirrors. Rest is newly designed and created for this car. Including Toyotas first 4 wheel drive system in 25 years. The all-wheel drive system allows for power to be shifted 100 per cent to either the front or rear wheels. However, the set modes in the car are Normal (60 per cent front), Sport (30 per cent front) and Track (50 per cent front).

Under the bonnet is an all-new 1.6-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engine making 257bhp and 265lb ft connected to all four wheels via a six-speed manual. That means the GR Yaris is capable of a 0-62mph sprint in just 5.5 seconds and a top speed limited to 143mph.

MacPherson strut front/double wishbone rear suspension setup. Grooved 356mm brakes with four-piston calipers are standard. Torsen limited-slip differential to each axle.

What a little pocketrocket. Matt Watson fell in love with the car during the review.
  • Bob wrote:
    Still much cheaper than getting towed - we got a flat tyre at centre parcs .. aa man got In, plugged it. then followed me to the tyre place got
    Me the right tyre made sure it was fitted then waved me a cheery bye bye. I paid for a tyre. I shudder how much a regular garage would have charged

Got AA membership via our halifax ultimate reward account. Well worth it. When missus car master clutch failed. AA came out, the car was on the 3rd floor of a old tight car park. AA got it out of the carpark somehow. Towed me to a nearby garage. Spoke to the garage about the exact work required. Checked we had means to get home. He was brilliant. Car was a few days labour job in the end but i was so glad i had AA breakdown cover via the bank. I've looked at doing it myself away from the ultimate reward account but its still cheaper going through ultimate reward.
  • I would love that GR Yaris. Sister got the new hybrid and it's a fab little car, love the styling. Cannot stand all these bland Audis and VWs proliferating our roads, give me something small, Japanese and perky anyday.

For reference I drive a Suzuki Swift Sport, with which I wish they did a truly hot version like Toyota do with the above.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    For reference I drive a Suzuki Swift Sport, with which I wish they did a truly hot version like Toyota do with the above.

The correct verb is to push, ie I push a shopping trolley, you don't drive a swift ;) ;)
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Where are those man-car vids?
  • Very large OOOF for this. Singer have built an off-roader. The ACS (All-terrain Competition Study). It’s almost the perfect car.

135904553_456288262036243_5074335634396239441_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=bUbkpD009MEAX9amKSV&tp=1&oh=69fc4fc8ee6204ed101c332eee0d3cf6&oe=601EEB11
    135308138_447231749646826_8148584022537745282_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=BK-jSi9F6_wAX9TOrEe&tp=1&oh=eb0663d4bb1aba7f1c9489f844803cfb&oe=601DC356
    135687283_450638569277397_2244672709573756828_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=vGhynfukRpwAX-WPMM3&tp=1&oh=7309c98ce63abaf7683a7d21bd64cf80&oe=601E2BDC

Hope this comes to Forza one day.
  • No messing around. Developed in partnership with Tuthill Porsche (top rally team) and Williams Advanced Engineering. It’s a beast.
  • Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!