The Car thread
  • I think one of the most interesting parts of the announcement is that Singer are saying there will be more competition studies from them in future – which means Singer Porsches designed around different types of racing.
  • Interesting but where could they go next? I can only think Group C / LMP1.

Imagine that they were not tied to Porsche! A Singer branded Lancia Stratos, Audi Quatro, Renault Alpine could be lovely.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Some more pics, because … well, why not?

Eq-46wxW8AIthyN?format=jpg&name=large
    Eq-46xFWMAEZ2Az?format=jpg&name=medium
  • Awesome.
    It looks like a RC car.
  • Because like almost all things Porsche it's butt ugly?

EDIT: @Pop
  • Eric wrote:
    Interesting but where could they go next? I can only think Group C / LMP1. Imagine that they were not tied to Porsche! A Singer branded Lancia Stratos, Audi Quatro, Renault Alpine could be lovely.

A lot of folks are thinking that this is the future of the classic car industry. Professionally built small-run ‘restomods’ for enthusiasts. When you can’t buy a new petrol-engined car any more, you can still buy a redeveloped and updated classic. Brands like Singer, Eagle and Rocketeer are going to grow. Major manufacturers might even get in on the action, reviving and restoring their own past models for big money.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Because like almost all things Porsche it's butt ugly?

EDIT: @Pop

• Unlikely wrote:
    Because like almost all things Porsche it's butt ugly? EDIT: @Pop

not-sure-if-ricer-or-just-stupid
  • I liked the Cayenne if that's any help.  And I suppose the 80's me thought the 944 was pretty cool.  Otherwise they can go in the bin.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    the 944 was pretty cool.

This is correct. Carry on.
  • I was gravely mistaken.
  • I just Googled my old one to post a picture and prove how cool it still is, and someone has it up for sale at £13,000.

I sold it for £2,300.

*cry emoji*
  • I remembered you used to own one hence the lifeline I threw. Perhaps that wasn't a kindness.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    When did you sell it pop?
  • 2012 I think. Maybe 2013. I held on as long as possible after getting divorced, but eventually couldn’t afford to keep it. Tax, insurance and MOT all due at once and I had nowhere to keep it off-street so I couldn’t even SORN it. I’d had it up for sale for about six months with no luck, and in the end gave it to a friend for as much cash as he could raise before my bills we due. Then watched it pass from trader to trader online, getting more expensive the further south it went. Within a year it was sold for £12.5k, so sitting at £13k now is not really a big deal.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I bet if you had kept it for the last 7 years it would have cost you more than 10 grand.
  • I sold my 944 around the same sort of time.
    It definitely would have cost me a fair amount to keep it going. Everything about it was so expensive. Great car though.
  • I bet if you had kept it for the last 7 years it would have cost you more than 10 grand.

Yeah, but now I can afford it. Then I couldn’t. C’est la vie.

I always look at it as ‘Fucking hell, I actually had my dream car for five or six years’ rather than getting sad about giving it up.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    When you can’t buy a new petrol-engined car any more, you can still buy a redeveloped and updated classic.

This is gonna be the next Bitcoin, where the hodl risk's tied to the availability of petrol. Every rich person'll be able to buy a fleet of desirable late-model petrol cars and garage them pristinely for however many years.

I'd buy bikes if I could, because the loss of gears and a clutch is a handicap for most forms of competitive riding. Plus they're smaller for storage, and typically last a lot longer. My Honda's 30 now.

I'd buy some dirtbikes, but mostly sportsbikes, because with enough rarity there'll always be a lot of riders willing to pay over the odds for their noise.
  • poprock wrote:
    I bet if you had kept it for the last 7 years it would have cost you more than 10 grand.

Yeah, but now I can afford it. Then I couldn’t. C’est la vie.

I always look at it as ‘Fucking hell, I actually had my dream car for five or six years’ rather than getting sad about giving it up.

I have wondered about this from time to time. For example i play "Best of the Best" competition where you have a chance to win a dream car. I often go for the Audi RS4. Now thats because its a dream car for my situation. If i didnt have a kid a coupe like a M2 Competition or C63S coupe would be more up my street. Anyway i digress.

So say i won my dream car the RS4 via BOTB. Now they pay the car tax, fuel and insurance for the first year as well give you £20,000 cash for a ticket that costs you £2.85 or something. Btw if you dont want the car you can have 80% of the cars value as cash instead. I spend alittle of the 20k on options for the car. As its a new car you decide to get paint protection/film to protect the paint/bodywork.

Then theres the worry about a car like that being stolen so you spend somemore of your 20k on fitting ghost immobiliser and a tracker. Its like having a pet or a child, its high maintenance.

Anyway, after that first year you got to pay the fuel,car tax and insurance yourself. Also the servicing, then eventually tyres and brake pads and discs. Also keep it washed and looking nice. That 20k pot keeps dwindling down (apparently on average a RS4 costs 2k a year to run). When do you get to the point when you think, this is a money pit. Let me sell it and get a normal car?

I think if i won i would take the car for the first year and then sell it. Have a cracking time that first year then buy something more sensible (who really needs 450bhp on tap?). New it would be circa 65k without any options selected unless you bought a preconfigured showroom model. After a year you'd still get circa 55k for that car. Use 10-15k for a nice used car and still have 40k left. Thats not including the 20k cash you also won. So a year of hooning around in a RS4, not having to pay for fuel, car tax, insurance and then selling it and still having circa 70k in cash would be a lovely place to be in.

I have thought about this in detail waaay too much.
  • One of my pals won a car from them a few years back. Of course, he’s rich as fuck anyway and already has a bloody stable of supercars etc. But still. He won the Caterham Academy Race Package – so he got a brand new Caterham, driver training, his racing license, and his first year’s race series paid for.
  • 56inch wrap around oled screen for new top range mercs (optional of course) lovely design.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Looks great and I love MBUX, but I hope they keep all the physical controls. Hardly use the touch screen.
  • I wouldn't have that shite in my car if it was free.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just stick a Kinect in there and be done with it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Satnav. Give me directions for Dundee...

*launches 4OD*
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    "do you know how fast you were going sir?"

"no, the damn screens had this spinning wheel on it for ten minutes and it's been stuck on 56% updating for ages!"
  • Anybody curious to see Sony’s first car? They’ve got it out testing on public roads in Austria.

It’s a solid piece of work. They’re using the same contract manufacturer/designer who do the Toyota Supra, Merc G-Class and Jaguar I-Pace.

Sony say there will be ‘integrated PlayStation tech’ but don’t explain wtf they mean by that.
  • Not sure I'd want a car that makes a noise like a jet engine, and is prone to crashing...
  • *runs away*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!