Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • couldn't resist xoxoxoxox
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I am all for equal opportunities
  • ...as long at there are different starting lines
  • No such things exist.
  • Joe Rogan has a podcast out with Avi Loeb (the Harvard prof with the book coming out about Oumouamua). Bit of a frustrating episode. Joe did a shit interview basically. He kept trying to pull Avi back to the Nimitz incident etc. And he spent almost no time discussing why the scientific community at large insists Oumouamua could not be alien tech. Though at one point Avi says the main reason is "the answer is never aliens". 
    Avi came across really well though and jives with my POV quite a bit, he is very open minded and (at least insists he isnt) not ego driven. 
    Again he boils down his argument to the facts that he has in front of him about Oumouamua. In these scenarios Id love a debate podcast. Avi VS an opponent of his theory.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Interestingly in that podcast interview with him that I watched the other day, he was asked what he thought about the recent signals that have been heard, and the various UFO sightings. He was pretty unimpressed with those and thought that they didn't really indicate much at all, I think he said that the signal that was picked up 'was probably just some guy's cellphone nearby the dish'.

But HIS mad alien visitation theory is the real deal! ;)  Tbf there's more likelyhood of Oumuamua being aliens than the the signal or sightings, but it's still a pretty low chance based on the slim amount of data we have. Other hypotheses seem more likely - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%BBOumuamua#Hydrogen_ice_theory

I'm not sure if he genuinely thinks that some kind of alien craft is the best fit for the data and the most likely explanation, or if he actually doesn't think it's likely but is happy to be a proponent for that theory while also selling his book about it and hunting for funding for the Breakthrough Starshot project that he a chairs the advisory committee for.

I'm all for deploying tech to check out anomalies and to keep an eye out for stuff, but I think people should be honest about the chances of such things being fruitful. In terms of discovering alien life what we really should be focussing money and effort on is searching our local system for signs of life, the worth of doing that is huge, because whether or not anything is discovered it will give us incredibly valuable data on the chances of us being alone in the galaxy. If we found evidence of any kind of life on a planet or moon that would allow us to revise the Drake equation and get a much better idea of the likelyhood of intelligent life being out there somewhere.
  • Pretty sure they will find life under the ice of Europa and Enceledus. There are quite a few candidates in our solar system (various moons) that have bodies of water under their surface.

Also Oumuamua was just a unusual shaped asteroid. Who knows what gravitation forces shaped it into a sausage shaoe. Probably loads like that in the Oort cloud.
  • In terms of space travel I really think Europa/Enceledus should be top priority, learning that we are not alone will be a humbling experience, as would finding that we probably are alone, but we won't know unless we look.
  • We really need to start talking about colonizing Venus.
  • Aye, maybe they’ve seen us and would welcome us all.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m already entirely sure that we’ll find microbes on other planets with water. Actually doing so wouldn’t make a huge difference to me.
  • Loeb said that Oumaumau was stationary and that our solar system went through the area it occupied. So it is some sort of interstellar bollard.
  • Cut to alien labourer, "THOSE FUCKING HOOLIGAN APES, I'M GONNA HAVE TO PUT THAT BACK"
  • Humans, send out tiny, semi autonomous probes to distant celestial objects we wish to study. 

Advanced alien civilisations send out 1km long cigar ships that just hang around and do nothing forever.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Apparently it is more like a flattened out, giant Quality Street wrapper.
  • I look forward to us thawing out planetary ice cubes to find skin rotting bacteria that will be bought back to Earth in Richard Branson's beard.

"Its just like ecsma and we've lived with that for years" they will say "bunch of snowflakes wearing hazmat suits to Morrisons" say others.

"Remember if you are showing signs of your skin peeling off or volcanic legions you must stay at home unless your office job requires you to come in."
  • Oh right, the solar sail thing. I was just talking about the people who were at least on the page with it being a cylinder or pancake style disc or something.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Apparently the shape that fits best, assuming uniform shine, is an object less than 1mm thick.
  • A nutter you mean?
    Ill fookin nut you. Right in the balls.

@GurtTractor In the Joe Rogan interview, Avi dismissed the hydrogen ice theory. I cant remember what he said though.

Its pretty clear that there isnt enough information to form a definitive answer on Oumouamoua(or however the fuck its spelled). Im not sure that he is 100% convinced its aliens, but is just saying that based on the limited facts we have that its not an impossibility. (if he is insisting its aliens though thats batshit).  He also mentioned a new telescope coming online in the near future that will drastically improve the detection of such objects.
  • Interestingly in that podcast interview with him that I watched the other day, he was asked what he thought about the recent signals that have been heard, and the various UFO sightings. He was pretty unimpressed with those and thought that they didn't really indicate much at all, I think he said that the signal that was picked up 'was probably just some guy's cellphone nearby the dish'. But HIS mad alien visitation theory is the real deal! ;) 
    Do you have a link to that podcast plz?
  • Oh sorry I didn't realise the link were broke, here you are -

• A nutter you mean?
    Ill fookin nut you. Right in the balls.

• LivDiv wrote:
    I look forward to us thawing out planetary ice cubes to find skin rotting bacteria that will be bought back to Earth in Richard Branson's beard.

The really scary stuff is in the permafrost right here on Earth. Haven’t you watched Fortitude?

*shudder*
  • Caltech seem pretty confident since 2019 Oumuamua is not a alien. For anyone interested in what the actual scientists have said about it as well as the people grifting because they got podcast sponsors they need to attract and books to sell. 

https://authors.library.caltech.edu/97422/2/1907.01910.pdf
  • In terms of space travel I really think Europa/Enceledus should be top priority, learning that we are not alone will be a humbling experience, as would finding that we probably are alone, but we won't know unless we look.

Clipper_Europa is scheduled for 2025 i think. Though its a high orbit mission and not landing a probe to drill through the ice.

Personally i am hoping that NASAs Planetary Science Decadal Survey, which reports in 2022 will green light a visit to Uranus and Neptune. Theres a tight window in the early 2030s to visit both. Would be great to have new pictures of both of those.

"...The rare celestial alignment, between Neptune, Uranus and Jupiter, occurs next in the early 2030s, and would allow a spacecraft to slingshot around Jupiter on its way to the planets. This would reduce the travel time, and allow the craft to arrive well within the lifetimes of its instruments and power systems — usually around 15 years. It would also cut fuel mass, enabling the craft to carry a full suite of scientific instruments. To take advantage of the alignment, a mission to Neptune would need to launch by around 2031 and one to Uranus by the mid-2030s..."
  • poprock wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I look forward to us thawing out planetary ice cubes to find skin rotting bacteria that will be bought back to Earth in Richard Branson's beard.
    The really scary stuff is in the permafrost right here on Earth. Haven’t you watched Fortitude? *shudder*

No, but I've seen The Thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!