Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • You should watch David Ikes talk on the nature of reality and the possibility we are living in a simulation. Mostly a bit matrixy however when he talks about how the physical properties of certain materials changed depending on circumstances blew my brain.
    PSN - minkymu
  • You should not watch that, no.

EDIT:  Unless you want to waste your brief and hopelessly inconsequential life watching stuff he makes I guess.  Then sure.
  • Lol im open to different opinions
    PSN - minkymu
  • As long as you take the fucking vaccine, you do you.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Ignore baseless claims yes, ignore things based on fact no

The most obnoxious thing about the current state of affairs, is the bluster. 'Don't listen to them, they're lying'. The only 'fact' you can count on right now, is that each side will try to accuse the other side of some transgression, and that many people on both 'sides' are profiting from the animosity.

Many politicians maintain their careers without scandal.

Look at someone as obnoxious as Gove, for example. Everyone hates him. But has he yet been the subject of an accusation of criminal behaviour? No. Same for Corbyn and his shadow cabinet. Obama. Senator McCain. Despite how the media construes the situation, honest politicians do exist.

Perhaps there's a case for handling allegations of a certain class against public officials differently. Until that day, I'd sleep a lot better if I felt that both Hunter Biden's laptop, and Trump's tax returns, were both taken seriously.

Given all I truly know about both, I'm sure Trump has a lot more to answer for than Biden, but why are we to think that we have to choose to punish only one crime, and pardon the other?

In the (fairly recent) past, people were forced out of office for much less.

Superfly raises an interesting point. For any reasonable observer, this is getting stupid.

No matter which side you see yourself on.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    You should watch David Ikes talk on the nature of reality and the possibility we are living in a simulation. Mostly a bit matrixy however when he talks about how the physical properties of certain materials changed depending on circumstances blew my brain.

I have listened to some of his lectures. Nothing all the way through as I start zoning out when he gets a bit crazy..

What makes him so interesting to me is I'm of an age when I remember him presenting sport on BBC - he was part of the mainstream furniture. He was a likeable, good broadcaster.

Then one day he turned up on Wogan in a purple tracksuit talking about the most way out and bizarre things in the same measured style he had as a TV presenter. I am fascinated by the journey someone can take like that. It's easy to say he just had some sort of episode that fucked his head up - and that may be  in fact is most likely, the case.

There is something to what he says - mentioned it earlier in this thread. I would certainly be open to the idea of power behind what we see as leaders. Given financial backing of political parties it's hardly a huge leap in thinking.

As to perception and whether we are seeing the world for what it is. Again I'm pretty much open to the idea that we don't perceive the world as it really is. Whether that's because of how our brains work to filter a lot of information out so we can perceive the world in order to survive and breed, or how social conditioning impresses upon us a particular view of the world, or that it's a combination of that and that it could be engineered isn't exactly a wild idea.

There are religions that talk about enlightenment. We have people on the autistic spectrum who perceive the world differently. It really isn't a new idea.

All of that interests me in a general sense. So I will listen and read about stuff like that from time to time.

Where Icke goes off piste is the engineering angle and that we are enslaved - and the scale of that enslavement. We may well be enslaved by other human beings that keep us as a herd of consumers to keep the capitalist system going but the whole world isn't in that system - though it may suffer from it due to the ludicrously poor distribution of resources. There's enough to be unhappy about there.

But Icke takes it further into this inter-dimensional realm that requires an enormous leap that for me places him in the loony category. Of course it's possible that we live in a simulation but it's his attempts at presenting evidence for this that falls down. My question to this sort of thing, as it is to any conspiracy theory is , to what purpose? Who benefits?

He's still an entertaining gig though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Matrix conspiracy is the mother of all conspiracies for me because it is one of the purest examples of why I think people latch onto them.

My opinion on the vast majority of conspiracies (chuck a fair amount of religion in here as well) that catch on is that they represent a notion of control.

If this is all a simulation then somebody or entity can choose to press a button and make everything OK. Really it is not any different to creationism, a link the movies played with of course. New World Order conspiracies are the same.
    If God or the simulation coder or the grand wizard can flick a switch then we don't have to worry about climate change, corona virus, or anything else.

Humans and particularly the male of the species have a desire to control things.

The reality is genuine cause and effect that forever changes the landscape to a point where it is always impossible to go back or reset, then there is uncontrollable chaos which created us and will destroy us.

That is scary. I dont think people can handle that so turn to religion, conspiracy or whatever else because it is warm and safe.

The sad thing is that much of this just causes more frustration, more grief, more stress.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I used to imagine I was in a simulator when I was kid. I sometimes imagined I was in a cylindrical machine that projected a reality for me. Its radius was such that I couldn't touch it and it moved as I did. And for some reason my family was outside it controlling me. I would have been pretty young when I dreamt this up - certainly primary school age.  I didn't believe it but I remember wondering about it.

I don't think I'm anything special - it's quite possibly a common fantasy or idea.

The Matrix film really resonated with me and I suspect that's why it did with a lot of people. Maybe deep down we know we are perceiving the world and not seeing it and it bubbles up from our subconscious.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Lol im open to different opinions

I think the statistical chances of this not being a simulation are slim, not that it matters.

What I do find irritating is people saying they're open to different opinions when those opinions have no scientific foundation at all. That's just being a fool.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • @davy
    I think its quite a common theme people think of.
    The Truman Show is really the same thing done different and that resonated with people.

I saw a "shower thought" the other day that went along the lines of "we think of our skeleton being inside us but it is the opposite because our brains are inside our skeleton"

Its that kind of self aware consciousness humans have. What actually are we?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To dream of some system of control is comforting to many I suppose. It's more likely that the world is just a series of fuck-ups and a Douglas Adams universe is the reality.

The more we look at something the more fucked up it becomes. Quantum effects for example.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I read one of Icke's early books. It was quite entertaining. He basically cherry picks conspiracies that fit his narrative and squashes them all together (leading other nutters to complain that he's stealing their conspiracy theories - how can you steal the truth?). He also takes historical and literary works at absolute face value, with no regard for fable or metaphor.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that it was an experience with ayuhuasca in South America that set him off. Some people just shouldn't take drugs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • davyK wrote:
    To dream of some system of control is comforting to many I suppose. It's more likely that the world is just a series of fuck-ups and a Douglas Adams universe is the reality.

There's clearly nobody in control but there are rules, and those rules are set in stone from the beginning. It's figuring out those rules, no matter what universe you live in, that's the smart bit.

We live in a universe that has learnt to discover some of it's own laws naturally, through time and evolution. Humans are a bit of that universe and are figuring out the universe they are part of. It's quite a thing when a universe can learn about itself.
  • davyK wrote:

There's clearly nobody in control but there are rules, and those rules are set in stone from the beginning. It's figuring out those rules, no matter what universe you live in, that's the smart bit.

We live in a universe that has learnt to discover some of it's own laws naturally, through time and evolution. Humans are a bit of that universe and are figuring out the universe they are part of. It's quite a thing when a universe can learn about itself.

See now you are getting into destiny type arguments.
    Are we changing anything or is our ability to change things and what we do change part of the inevitable chain reaction of events.
  • It's not inevitable. It's probability rather than Newtonian, and that probability is enough to ensure things are not inevitable ever. This applies to any interaction that any particle has with any other and not human dependent.
  • I should point out that does not mean the rules change - the probability is always the same. The rule is that probabilty chance. The result can never be known.

Edit: until it happens, then the result is known but it can only be predicted according to the probability beforehand.
  • I remember Ike riffing on the Matrix films not long after they were released (a canny move considering how they captured the popular consciousness) - those films borrowed a great deal from Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, who was himself inspired by the writings of the Marquis De Sade, and gnosticism.

All of these theories have their roots in the philosophy that we're all enslaved either by society or class or by religion and we've been philosophising about these things for centuries. But these days it's so mixed up with contemporary sci-fi that it's all become very post modern but without any apparent self awareness. Suddenly people are taking enslavement by the alien lizard-men (disguised as the royal family) as literally as an 17th century peasant who believed in a literal god and angels and demons.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • @Space
    Yeah to be fair I was gonna add that depends on perception, if you are looking from the start or end points.
  • People like Ike believe in all the mad things always. It's a career move to believe in as many things as possible as you get a larger audience.
  • Living in a simulation is a common thought experiment for scientists and philosophers, some think it could be plausible, but I think most think it's either vanishingly unlikely or basically pointless to even worry about. It's definitely a fun thing to think about though -

• Glad someone's already posted the Shapiro thing from Cody. He has a damn series on Ben alone.

Ben is a fucking idiot.

Tim pool is total grift and swimming with the alt-right/nazi sharks hard.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Tim_Pool

The regular wiki entry is more "even" maybe. But damn, if you go from Bernie to trump and your talking points are all duck like, then you a fucking duck.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ninja, before you go there, don't ask about the Eric and Brett Weinstein.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Living in a simulation is a common thought experiment for scientists and philosophers, some think it could be plausible, but I think most think it's either vanishingly unlikely or basically pointless to even worry about. It's definitely a fun thing to think about though -

Thing is, the computer sim theory only came into existence because we invented computers. Prior to this, the universe was either a construct of god, a giant tree, a dead celestial being in an ocean... the list goes on, but it all comes down to us feeling angst that there's more to it than this.

Fuck only knows what our cultural lense will project next, though arguably it'll mean essentially the same thing.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • The simulation theory isn't new though. But it does adapt to our current technology. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi_(book)#.22The_Butterfly_Dream.22
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_demon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat

I can't watch that hardware vid above at the moment but if the universe is a simulation it's probably not running on Intel chipsets. Unless I'm the only one who is conscious are you're all illusions. In which case, the computational demands are much lower and could probably be done on conventional hardware. Not sure why someone would go that amount of trouble to trap me in a simulation where I wander around my house in my pants, spending a load of time chatting shit on a simulated website. My life is computationally inexpensive though. Especially 2020. 

A simulation might not be technically a computer simulation in the way we think of them. The hardware underpinning it might be so far advanced that our current computers are closer to steam engines than they are to whatever might be powering it. 

I don't think the simulation idea is inherently more ridiculous than our current model. There was a big explosion and now here we are. I appreciate the big bang is evidence based but there's some fairly enormous holes in it from the POV of humans trying to wrap their heads around it. What was before? What's outside the limits of the universe? What caused the explosion? These are millennia-spanning scientific projects and we're short-lived idiots that need semantic meaning while that's being solved. The brain-in-a-vat problem is unsolveable and can't be disproved, therefore not science, just theory, and will always be theory. Unless someone cracks the matrix and gets to communicate with the 'real world' or whatever.
    All of which is just a convoluted way of agreeing with this.
    Living in a simulation is a common thought experiment for scientists and philosophers, some think it could be plausible, but I think most think it's either vanishingly unlikely or basically pointless to even worry about. It's definitely a fun thing to think about though -
    Thing is, the computer sim theory only came into existence because we invented computers. Prior to this, the universe was either a construct of god, a giant tree, a dead celestial being in an ocean... the list goes on, but it all comes down to us feeling angst that there's more to it than this. Fuck only knows what our cultural lense will project next, though arguably it'll mean essentially the same thing.
  • For any reasonable observer, this is getting stupid. No matter which side you see yourself on.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, in my sleep-deprived state I'm finding it tough stringing cogent sentences together. 
    These days things are incredibly murky, its tough to find a middle ground or a semi trustworthy source. As a (recent) casual observer, Im clueless about any of this. Take Glenn Greenwald for example. An apparently respected journalist by all accounts? But now with his Biden laptop article, he is shite and the article is nonsense? Did he drop the ball on this? Or is he being unduly censored?
    Are Shapiro and Poole lying when they say the FBI etc have confirmed the authenticity of the laptop and its contents? Are the MM right to ignore it because its a fabrication? 
    Whatever way the coin lands it sounds dodgy. At this point where would I go to find out the answers? Short of doing an investigation myself! 

Things are more clear cut in the realm of UFOs and interdimensional paedo lizards I think.

I guess what I was trying to get at in my original post is wondering why the democrats and the media have been going so unusually crazy trying to get Trump out? Are there conspiracy theorys out there?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • oops
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • For any reasonable observer, this is getting stupid. No matter which side you see yourself on.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, in my sleep-deprived state I'm finding it tough stringing cogent sentences together. 
    These days things are incredibly murky, its tough to find a middle ground or a semi trustworthy source. 
    I guess what I was trying to get at in my original post is wondering why the democrats and the media have been going so unusually crazy trying to get Trump out? Are there conspiracy theorys out there? 

As a (recent) casual observer, Im clueless about any of this. Take Glenn Greenwald for example. An apparently respected journalist by all accounts? But now with his Biden laptop article, he is shite and the article is nonsense? Did he drop the ball on this? Or is he being unduly censored?
    Are Shapiro and Poole lying when they say the FBI etc have confirmed the authenticity of the laptop and its contents? Are the MM right to ignore it because its a fabrication? 
    Whatever way the coin lands it sounds dodgy. At this point where would I go to find out the answers? Short of doing an investigation myself! 

Things are more clear cut in the realm of UFOs and interdimensional paedo lizards I think.

Greenwald remains a respected journalist. The editorial board at the Intercept ousted him, or decided to accept the risk of his going, because (my guess) for them the ends justify the means. They want trumpo out and do not want to play an active role in a long-planned Trump October surprise. Greenwald is studiously principled - for him the ends do not justify the means. His proposed solution (of an editorial rebuttal against his piece) would not have assuaged Klein and co's concerns. It would not have been linked by trump and his bots - they would have linked "snowden guy says laptop proves Biden is Bent" - even though Greenwald's piece did not say that.

What you need to do, if I may, is watch your own brain and what it does with all this.

Shapiro and Poole do not link to Greenwald's other takes, on gay rights, on BLM, or crucially on the coup against Lula's successor Roussef by their darling ally Bolsonaro.
    ; And more importantly the conspiracy to nail Lula which put him in jail for years.

They are only using this story to their own ends. Instead of saying "the left-leaning media is very partisan in this election" they are saying "all the media is partisan and ergo Plato hint hint something deep and malign is going on, also it means the counts are wrong"

You should use your brain by being careful about it, it's deficiencies, and how easy it is to manipulate when all the information you have is limited by what (I assume) YouTube algorithms are throwing at you.

Trust me, I know, YT is constantly spamming Jimmy Dore at me. I only make an effort because I'm a dork.

I say this with all love in the world, as someone who used to shoot things with you online- surely the most intimate thing men can do together. Beware of Shapiro and beware especially of Tim Pool. He is an absolute, shameless, cynical shill.

• Are Shapiro and Poole lying when they say the FBI etc have confirmed the authenticity of the laptop and its contents?

Yes. The FBI have the laptop, but haven't said anything about it beyond advising that Russian disinformation does not form part of the investigation.
  • Allow me to say; the world's not black and white. What Dante says is true. It's also very probably true that Biden Jr didn't get hired by massive corps for his academic and professional achievements..just like Trump's children didn't get to where they are now off of merit.

Biden's a player, always has been. We've known this a while. So why did the laptop turn up just a couple of weeks before the election?

Whether it's russian or not is irrelevant. The laptop thing is no evidence of a conspiracy to manipulate the election, save insofar that man always manipulates elections by mediating the message that goes to the masses. Nothing new here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!