Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • djchump wrote:
    Ability to change an opinion, even if it's a deeply held one, when shown counter-evidence is the measure of an open mind.

I'll never forget the moment when yung Rouj in the Apollo 11 mission was staged so the US could win the cold war era found out that NASA left a mirror on the surface of the moon during that mission and that is what scientists use to measure the distance to the moon to this day.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Come on Rouj, think about it, if you fired a laser at it you'd blow up the moon. This is just science.
  • djchump wrote:
    Ability to change an opinion, even if it's a deeply held one, when shown counter-evidence is the measure of an open mind.
    lghP8wl.gif
  • That's no moon. It's a space station.

[edit] Damnit, out the way, Gurt.
  • It’s too big to be a space station.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    "Open-minded" is a stretch, given the response to debunking videos is dismissal with "lol at the keyboard warrior examining the evidence with some simple maths!" - just believing any old tosh that a fighter pilot or other "authority figures" with outlandish claims simply because "well, they *must* know what they're talking about! Why would they lie (on the TV program that is paying them to appear on it)?!" is not the measure of an open mind. Ability to change an opinion, even if it's a deeply held one, when shown counter-evidence is the measure of an open mind.

So basically, the new reason to reject an alternative source of information, is because of the likelihood of it being co-opted by commercial forces?
    I mean, that's pretty fucking meta, right?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Not aware of Fravor making shitloads. Far as I can tell he's interested in homeland security.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Which is more likely:  Aliens are here on Earth, or some people like being the centre of attention and will say any old shit to get to be on TV?
  • There's an unlikely pun here somewhere, but I can't think of one.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What if you’re a narcissist who discovers an alien?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Actually more of an exhibitionist?
  • ... So basically, the new reason to reject an alternative source of information, is because of the likelihood of it being co-opted by commercial forces? I mean, that's pretty fucking meta, right?

Not exactly anything new though, is it. Swiftly following up (or even driving) most conspiracy theories is the merch wagon selling books, pamphlets, limited-space conference tickets, snake oil, nutrient supplements, protective clothing or tech (the new wave "anti-5G USB dongles, utilising the latest quantum bioinformatics shielding" are nestled right next to the classic tin foil hats).

Even way back with the spiritualists and mediums, it's always been about the grift, and selecting out those most vulnerable to it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Which is more likely:  Aliens are here on Earth, or some people like being the centre of attention and will say any old shit to get to be on TV?
    b0r1s wrote:
    What if you’re a narcissist who discovers an alien?

Edit - For Chump, too.

To directly reply to your specific point? How probable was the emergence of Ed Snowden, and do you think his media work has covered the cost of his rather conspicuous resignation? He's quite likely made enough to retire, though he lives in the precarious hope of a Presidential pardon. It may yet come.

Why aren't other intelligence officials rushing forward to claim a book deal?

I suppose though, what you would need to do to properly 'balance' this argument, is find a whistleblower, prior to Snowden, making similar claims, and explore why they weren't believed.

I'm sure that's quite possible.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yes unlikely, why. You pompous moron, you think you're so goddamn smart don't you.
  • They probably don't want to have to live in Russia.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    John Bolton is about to get fucked for discussing classified information in his book.

Snowden is hiding in Russia because he will spend years in prison in America for leaking classified information if he ever leaves.

No one, as far as I am aware, has been locked up for talking about aliens - probably because the US government don't give a shit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s what they want you to think.

I got a guided tour to Area 51 and the guide who drove us there had an uncle who worked at the base back in the day. Unfortunately he couldn’t tell us details, but most of it is true he said. So I’ll believe him over stupid science any day.

Was a weird coincidence he ended up doing alien highway tours though.

*thinking*
  • Yes unlikely, why. You pompous moron, you think you're so goddamn smart don't you.

Not smart enough to figure out that apparently Edward Snowdon is an alien with a book deal or something.  I'm struggling to follow Dina's post tbh.
  • @goobs

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure there are credible sources that say all this alien talk is part of a deliberate disinformation campaign... I can't remember why, but there are two hypotheses that I believe:

1. Outlandish conspiracy theories are useful because they help foster the image and marginalisation of the "conspiracy theorist". Thus in the 90s and 00s both the English lizard guy (David Icke?) and Noam Chomsky could be lumbered together. I remember listening to Icke on some PsP radio app, think on that crazy's infowars internet radio channel. What he was saying was 80% Chomsky (ie orthodox marxist-realist premises) and then the conclusion would go Vinderberg or whatever and then lizards.

2. Conspiracy theories that aggrandise either or both the security services and the army are useful to both, because they help to elevate mystique /respect/fear of them, and they hide how chaotic, incompetent and just plain human-error ridden these institutions are.

That's not even to touch upon why people believe in conspiracy theories, so to speak (I hate that term, see 1 above)... Which is probably to do with a yearning for the world to make sense, and for the causes of events to have human agency, even if we are nothing to do with that agency - someone has a plan. It's better than "fucking random world out there mate, good luck buddy you'll need it.
  • TLDR - ozno has a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories.

Go on Gman, bring out the gif.
  • :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s wrote:
    That’s what they want you to think.

I got a guided tour to Area 51 and the guide who drove us there had an uncle who worked at the base back in the day. Unfortunately he couldn’t tell us details, but most of it is true he said. So I’ll believe him over stupid science any day.

Was a weird coincidence he ended up doing alien highway tours though.

*thinking*

Chiselhurst Caves > Area 51.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Screen grab.
    ex3BKVo.jpg

What prompted this meeting is open to interpretation, and aware posting a fake video doesn't help the credibility of one's view. Always check your sources (:
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • That would be roundabout while Voyager was being developed, and I’d assume plenty of people were being employed to think about what sort of message should be on board. And there’s no qualification of what Americans and Russians. Politicians? Scientists? Amateur enthusiasts?
  • Yep, settled on pictorial, languages, scripts etc. That was what that was about - it's a theoretical question. If you do make contact with aliens, how do you communicate? It's about critical thinking.
  • Those were the days went the mentals protested at the use of naked people on the plaque.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Math is the only universal language. It’s like none of you have watched Contact!
  • And physics. The hyperfine transition of hydrogen pic was the first thing agreed upon iirc.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!