Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • Yeah the way Derren Brown does that thing where he wins at RPS every time, even without looking, is great manipulation.
  • He even loses if the other person says lose, it's impressive.
  • I saw this a while ago, and I highly recommend it to all you tin foilers. I think you'll enjoy it, I did despite not getting too much from it other than 'maybe don't go out into the woods alone in America'. Basically it's about a number of cases where hunters have inexplicably gone missing without a trace, in various parts of the US - Missing 411: The Hunted

It has a bit in it that I found especially creepy and fascinating, particularly as I'm interested in audio. I'd watch it within the film first if you have interest, but yeah this would shit you right up if you heard this out in the woods -
    Spoiler:

Enjoyably creepy BS.

David Paulides work is well known to "tin foilers". If anyone wants some David Paulides podcasts i will put them up in the dropbox. Some genuinely creepy and wierd stories about people going missing and sometimes remains being found. Probably my favourite ones to listen to as they are so bizarre.
  • Yeah until I have such an experience it's hard for me to say definitively what I would think in such a scenario, but I think I would ascribe it to something not-yet-understood or my mind tricking me, based on what bits and pieces I've learnt so far about how our minds work.

My current rough understanding of our minds is that we recognise patterns and our brain basically continually predicts everything, which feels counter-intuitive when you first hear about it but I think it makes a lot of sense. Lisa Feldman Barret talks about this -

For instance, consider the fourth lesson, You Brain Predicts (Almost) Everything You Do. “Neuroscientists like to say that your day-today experience is a carefully controlled hallucination, constrained by the world and your body but ultimately constructed by your brain,” writes Dr. Barrett, who is a University Distinguished Professor at Northeastern and who has research appointments at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital. “It’s an everyday kind of hallucination that creates all of your experiences and guides all your actions. It’s the normal way that your brain gives meaning to the sensory inputs from your body and from the world (called “sense data”), and you’re almost always unaware that it’s happening.”

People tend to feel like we’re reacting to what’s actually happening in the world. But what’s really happening is that your brain is drawing on your deep backlog of experience and memory, constructing what it believes to be your reality, cross-referencing it with incoming sense data from your heart, lungs, metabolism, immune system, as well as the surrounding world, and adjusting as needed. In other words, in a process that even Dr. Barrett admits “defies common sense,” you’re almost always acting on the predictions that your brain is making about what’s going to happen next, not reacting to experience as it unfolds. (Michael Pollan details the same neurological process in his book How to Change Your Mind.)

“Predictions transform flashes of light into the objects you see. They turn changes in air pressure into recognisable sounds, and traces of chemicals into smells and tastes. Predictions let you read the squiggles on this page and understand them as letters and words and ideas,” Barrett writes. “They’re also the reason why it feels unsatisfying when a sentence is missing its final.”
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle/article/how-your-brain-works

I think this is relevant because when you have a predisposition to believe in the supernatural, it means that in situations where you are presented with a phenomena that doesn't fit into any current understanding, your mind will tend to rapidly build or predict an explanation for it. Like how we often see faces in things, we've built up an understanding and a pattern for what a thing looks like and when we see something that happens to match that pattern we can't help but see it as a face.

That was a good read. I really did enjoy neuropsychology at Uni, probably should have carried on studying and got qualified in that area. Its absolutely fascinating.

If I recall my Psychology stuff from uni, when children hit puberty the frequency of their brain changes to that of adults. Basically it stops transmitting in alpha waves frequency. Now anecdotally it has been said children can see "stuff" that adults cant. Just throwing it out there what if they can perceive other stuff because of the frequency that their brain is humming at (all our brains resonate all the time). Also what if some children's brains do not switch off the alpha waves at puberty and when they become adults and those that become mediums, can then sense stuff other adults cant? There as adults their brains can percieve this stuff and adults they can label it? All speculation i know but its fascinating anyway.
  • My late grandmother used to visit a spiritualist church and swore to receiving convincing messages from her husband. I went with her once out of curiosity and while she didn't get any messages herself that night the whole thing was quite unnerving. Especially when the medium said the spirit of a child was stroking her mother's face, who happened to be sitting in the row in front of us.

I certainly wasn't convinced but I was baffled as to what the hustle was as there was no money involved.
  • That illusion seems to work better if it's smaller actually - kIyW5n8.png?1
    Spoiler:

What am I looking at here?  I don’t get it?
  • Tile A and B are the same colour, your brain will tell you they aren't no matter how much you try to "see" it. In the spoiler image the line is drawn between the times to show they are the same but even then your brain is still messing with what you see and the line still kinda looks a bit like it becomes discoloured as though it's affected by the shade from the cylinder as well.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • You're looking at an optical illusion.

EDIT: Fuck off, Dr. Interrupt.
  • Type faster then, you only had 6 words to write.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
    ...huh?
  • I'm saying how was your sentence interrupted by a whole paragraph?
  • I'll post some more ... that indicate time passing before I do the picard facepalm dot gif.
  • For the people wanting to hear what other scientists thought about Avi Loeb's claims on Oumuamua there are some choice quotes in here:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/01/25/have-we-already-been-visited-by-aliens/amp

Spoiler alert: They aren't good.
  • Not really Rouj. A disgruntled Ohio state prof, that's all.

What's the equivalent of the New Yorker in the UK, is it Esquire?
  • At least the New Yorker article actually references the wider opinions of other scientists, unlike almost every other article out there atm that's just letting Loeb chat absolute shit for free, without even mentioning that the rest of the scientific community have basically already debunked his theories.

What's your take on Oumuamua then? Tell us please what are the credible theories that haven't been explained? Or do you need to wait and buy Avi Loeb's fucking book first?

I know it sucks getting excited for aliens in late 2020/early 2021 because a Harvard professor said we should have an open mind about things and then finding out that his theories already had gotten btfo in 2019, but ask yourself this: If Avi Loeb's counter arguments to the rebuttal of his theories are so good, why is he putting them in a book that you have to buy instead of just publishing them normally, and then hoovering up the insane plaudits and awards for being the first scientist to offer credible proof that an object of alien origin had visited the solar system?
  • Well, I for one am quite egalitarian. With an absence of conclusive proof, I treat all hypotheses equally.
  • I don't see how eventually there won't be people living in a simulation. When tech gets to a point where VR is indistinguishable from reality (look how far we've come in the last 30yrs), and/or AI is so far advanced as to create entire life memories, some AI bots will be living in a virtual world that they think is the real one. Who's to say that's not us now?
  • I don't think we're in a simulation either, but theoretically it will happen at some point. I enjoy the mindfuck of it. If it will happen at some point, we could be it.
  • There were those two AI that were made to communicate with each other but had to be switched off when they started talking to each other in a language humans couldn't understand. Scary!
  • I've always said, let's make sure there's a mechanical off switch somewhere, not tied to any computers!
  • Ai singularity makes for interesting/scary reading.
  • Quod erat demonstrandum.
  • A barely observable, never before seen, interstellar object, that’s gone for good. We’ll never know what it was. It could easily be a ship disguised to look like a natural object to primitive observers. Or it could well be just a weirdo natural object that the universe might be full of. The fact is, the scientific explanation is conjecture too. There’s not much that could be observed in the short-time it was here. So they’ve taken scant data and tried to fit it into current understanding. It could well be natural but that doesn’t mean the explanations about its origins are correct.

It’s aliens if you ask me, an idiot. Mainly because I think the ‘deniers’ (aka scientists) are grasping at solutions to explain its non-gravitational acceleration. And because I want it to be aliens.

A probe. Some kind of seed vessel skirting through systems with Goldilocks zones, trying to find the right place to start new life.
  • Dude, it's a Titan's discarded sweet wrapper.
  • My main issue with Loeb is that he doesn't seem to be particuarly forthcoming or honest about what he thinks the chances are that it's an alien object. Like if he just came out and said "I think there's X likelihood that this is alien in origin, based on the limited data" then I would be more willing to take it seriously.
  • I'm always confused when people talk about planets that may have environment for life or whatever, like who are we to say there isn't a 5D lifeform that breathes spectrums that we don't know about with 7 ears and multiple genders. I get that we can only base our research on our knowledge and that makes sense, but surely we need to account for the unknown unknowns? Whenever I hear 'not suitable for life' or similar I just think yeah m8, not suitable for life as we know it.
  • This is why we should be focussing on a thorough survey of our solar system, to at least give us a baseline for understanding how widespread life might be.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!