Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • Here is a picture of a couple of different lens bokeh.
    iris_shape_f5-6.jpg

They look familiar right?
    Now imagine a camera trying to auto adjust on a tiny light while flailing around, it would appear to pulse as its changing rapidly because most cameras couldnt handle that.
  • Oof that’s a harsh debunking.
  • Rare Earth theory is very dated. There’s been hundreds of Earth like planets found since then. We’re not even the only planet in our system with plate tectonics, and it’s not clear that these are necessary. Gravitational pull of Jupiter probably increases likelihood of impacts etc etc. Most of the things they suggest are essential have either been found to be common or there’s a huge question whether they are essential.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Honestly, the thing that got me to start thinking about it in the first place was the effect of the seasons on the possible evolution of life, and that does seem to be pretty rare, at least when combined with the magnetosphere. Those are the two things that particularly stand out to me, and even finding those in combination likely isn’t that common.

Of course, it may well be that these aren’t essential, but it makes some sort of intuitive sense to me.
  • I saw a good couple of diagrams once that show the gateways civilisations have to pass through in order to achieve interstellar travel, while dodging all the civilisation ending disasters, naturally occurring and artificial and another good diagram that showed the relative likely sphere of influence around systems that contain earth like planets without achieving faster than light travel, and now I can't find them. 

But the result was that even if you have lots of earth like planets that can sustain life, by the time a civilisation runs the gauntlet and becomes capable of exploring space, the next nearest civilisation on par with them, may just be too far away to ever encounter as we currently understand the limits of how fast we can currently travel.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh, btw don't confuse that with rare earth theory. Loads of planets out there that can create and sustain life the more we learn about our own solar system. It's just hurdles two advanced civilisations would have to go jump in order to be in the same place at the same time that make our chances of crossing paths slimmer than you would first imagine.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Here is a picture of a couple of different lens bokeh.
    iris_shape_f5-6.jpg

They look familiar right?
    Now imagine a camera trying to auto adjust on a tiny light while flailing around, it would appear to pulse as its changing rapidly because most cameras couldnt handle that.
    monkey wrote:
    Oof that’s a harsh debunking.

Agree the ‘pulsating’ could be lens bokeh, if the flight crew were all looking at the object through the phone. Were they though? Can’t say, but seems focusing on this aspect of the light is peripheral.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Which brings us back to Fermi.

@Rouj
  • @badhairday

I'm focusing on the evidence provided with a pretty water tight explanation.

Not really interested in anything else.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Did you read the report?
  • Not interested in reports. Give me evidence.
  • Liquid water was a big boon. Freezing, becoming less dense, and sitting top is quite handy over the long term.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Oh, btw don't confuse that with rare earth theory. Loads of planets out there that can create and sustain life the more we learn about our own solar system. It's just hurdles two advanced civilisations would have to go jump in order to be in the same place at the same time that make our chances of crossing paths slimmer than you would first imagine.

As much as I accept that RE may well be bunk, it does seem to me that there is a big difference between creating and sustaining life and creating and sustaining complex life. I’m fairly convinced we’ll find evidence of life of some description elsewhere in our own solar system.
  • It’s a good way of showing just how many things needed to come together to get life to this present moment. And so a good challenge for the sort of vague assumption that other alien civilisations are inevitable.
  • As Boris said, we return to our friend, Fermi.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Not interested in reports. Give me evidence.
    But did you read it? Because the details leading up to the video seem relevant.

https://www.narcap.org/blog/narcaptr20
  • No because its not evidence so I'm not interested in it.
    We have been over the failings of man a million times itt in not doing it again.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ‘Testimony is a form of evidence that is obtained from a witness who makes a statement or declaration of fact.’

Left out the oath bit because not a court of law.
  • How can the testimony of these pilots be taken as fact when there is no corroborating evidence from any other sources?
  • Roujin wrote:
    How can the testimony of these pilots be taken as fact when there is no corroborating evidence from any other sources?

NNL1wmYh.jpg
  • This has been done and some.
    I distinctly remember Andy giving his view as an experienced Police officer that even when people believe what they are saying they can be wrong.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd rather see "evidence" of UAP's come from a serious website other than the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena, who may just have a vested interest in keeping these stories going.

Also buying a .org to a level of respectability is a common trope for fringe sites.

Looking at their about us there is no named information, no address and this statement in the confidentiality section is telling:

"Often, though not always, reporters are concerned about their confidentiality. We are not associated with the FAA or other government agencies, or the airlines."

There are no terms of use and a site that values confidentiality seems to not give a shit about cookies, as there isn't a policy. Smacks of a couple of amateurs posing as an Org.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Liv, was that Andy’s testimony?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    How can the testimony of these pilots be taken as fact when there is no corroborating evidence from any other sources?
    NNL1wmYh.jpg

Top work!
  • Liv, was that Andy’s testimony?

Go back and look for yourself.
    I've debunked your shit video I'm done.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I'd rather see "evidence" of UAP's come from a serious website other than the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena, who may just have a vested interest in keeping these stories going.

Also buying a .org to a level of respectability is a common trope for fringe sites.

Looking at their about us there is no named information, no address and this statement in the confidentiality section is telling:

"Often, though not always, reporters are concerned about their confidentiality. We are not associated with the FAA or other government agencies, or the airlines."

There are no terms of use and a site that values confidentiality seems to not give a shit about cookies, as there isn't a policy. Smacks of a couple of amateurs posing as an Org.

Seeing as the FAA don’t want to investigate, what ‘serious’ organisation would be interested in contacting the air crew and documenting this?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why are you taking Narcap’s word for anything when in their about page they state:

“The US Government and the Federal Aviation Administration are adamant that there are no unidentified aerial phenomena and do not study them in spite of the many observations and incidents that have been reported by pilots and aviation professionals around the world.”

Yet in this very thread you have posted links to things from the US government talking about UAPs and referencing investigations into them?

I think that the idea that the FAA have no interest in investigating these things is bollocks, quite frankly.
  • I mean, these guys who basically look after licensing and regulations don't seem like the sort of agency who are interested in investigating UAPs in the first place. 

https://www.faa.gov/

Edit: It'd be like asking the DVLA or Highways Agency to confirm what that weird taped up looking McLaren was you saw driving around Weybridge near the factory one night.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    “The US Government and the Federal Aviation Administration are adamant that there are no unidentified aerial phenomena and do not study them in spite of the many observations and incidents that have been reported by pilots and aviation professionals around the world.”

Would have been the case when that was written, but definitely should amend that in light of recent admissions from the Pentagon.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It wasn’t the case when it was written. “Do not study them” was, at best, baseless conjecture, at worst completely brainless. Does anyone seriously believe that the US government wouldn’t investigate reports of unidentified aircraft in their airspace?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!