Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You should know me by now Yoss.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Paranoia intensifies
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm totally open to there being aliens out there somewhere (I did start the thread, after all), but Lazar doesn't have a shred of evidence. I'm not sure he's outright lying but he's possibly deluded. He can't clearly remember when he got his Master's - like you'd forget. He has no published works or papers, no thesis, zero. He did an electronics course and not at MIT. When asked for a name of a professor at MIT he named a guy who worked at the other place, a guy who even remembered Lazar. Who forgets everything about a Master's course? There's no record of it and he can't remember it.
  • Surely it's unlikely that there aren't any aliens out there, if you keep going far enough? Doubt there'd ever be any meeting of different aliens (us - them) but if space is infinite (is it?) then eventually there will be some, no?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would hazard a guess that probability wise it's an almost certainty.
  • Given the size of the universe etc... It's more unlikely that there isn't.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Given the size of Unlikely etc... It's more the universe that there isn't.

• Eventually we'll find a bunch of aliens typing Shakespeare, or something.
  • You haven't heard Shakespeare until you've heard it in the original Klingon.
  • Are you calling Klingons monkeys?
    Racist.
  • I've watched that Joe Rogan cast and watched the Netflix documentary.
    I'm now convinced Bob Lazar did it, he killed Kennedy.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • What is Lazar is Kennedy?
  • nick_md wrote:
    Surely it's unlikely that there aren't any aliens out there, if you keep going far enough? Doubt there'd ever be any meeting of different aliens (us - them) but if space is infinite (is it?) then eventually there will be some, no?

Well, there are a finite number of planets, aren’t there? A fraction of which could sustain life. But still, given the sheer numbers, it seems likely that there will be life somewhere at some point. Intelligent life? Possibly. But you’re right that it’s unlikely that there will ever be any interaction. On this particular planet, the life which has been capable of achieving space flight has existed for about 1 fifteen-thousandth of the planet’s lifespan, and has only been able to do so for 1 seventy-eight-millionth of the planet’s existence. The odds of other life forms achieving the same thing in the same window, and surpassing that achievement and travelling across and between galaxies (considering we’ve only made it as far as our moon) and finding us... nah.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Check out Mr Superiority Complex over here
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a sheer numbers game that makes life elsewhere a distinct possibility.

As to its level of sophistication that's another matter. 

The numbers drop again to those that have some method of traversing vast distances and have a way of detecting advanced life at at least a galaxy level whilst having not either blown themselves up or consumed or poisoned themselves out of existence.

That's what makes finding alien craft unlikely in my estimation.

Would need some figures.

For example - how old is our solar system and how long did it take our civilisation to appear?

Take those numbers and apply them to the age of our galaxy and the number of systems there are to give an estimate of how many civilisations at our level might exist in our galaxy.

Then guess how long it would take us to develop interstellar drive and galaxy wide monitoring and extrapolate a guess at how many civilisations could theoretically visit us.

I imagine the numbers aren't good.

If inter galactic travel is possible that might help of course.

But if you believe the universe is infinite then not only has a visit happened , but a huge if not infinite number of them have. So I guess that rules that concept out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Or we could be the thickos.
  • Unless I'm missing something only the first three of those variables at the most can be defined, so that's complete nonsense.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Which then leads us neatly onto the Fermi paradox:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Edit: outathaway, Unlikely.
  • Kow wrote:
    He may have worked in some place around there but I doubt it was as any kind of scientist. And I'd say the government love him - free disinformation. They've spent decades encouraging all this stuff to obfuscate real political and military manoeuvring.

Hot take - Lazaar still works for the government, his job is punting believable stories to continue to obscure the work of the top secret death machines du jour.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I doubt it’s Lazar but I find it absolutely believable that some governments (I’m looking squarely at the US here) would have people employed purely to misdirect and keep conspiracy nuts busy and harmless.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Except Bob Lazar didn't say fuck all for 25 years or so.

How many in here have watched the 2018 admittedly over stylised documentary on all this? I'd rather not believe him because if what he's saying is true, and the US crack this tech, you think Uncle Sam is a bad relation now? Jesus, fuck.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something only the first three of those variables at the most can be defined, so that's complete nonsense.

It's a way of giving you probabilities, so everything after 3 is indeed a guess. It wasn't intended as a factual equation, just the start of a discussion point.

There is considerable disagreement on the values of these parameters, but the 'educated guesses' used by Drake and his colleagues in 1961 were:[17][18]

R∗ = 1 yr−1 (1 star formed per year, on the average over the life of the galaxy; this was regarded as conservative)
    fp = 0.2 to 0.5 (one fifth to one half of all stars formed will have planets)
    ne = 1 to 5 (stars with planets will have between 1 and 5 planets capable of developing life)
    fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
    fi = 1 (100% of which will develop intelligent life)
    fc = 0.1 to 0.2 (10–20% of which will be able to communicate)
    L = 1000 to 100,000,000 years (which will last somewhere between 1000 and 100,000,000 years)
    Inserting the above minimum numbers into the equation gives a minimum N of 20 (see: Range of results). Inserting the maximum numbers gives a maximum of 50,000,000. Drake states that given the uncertainties, the original meeting concluded that N ≈ L, and there were probably between 1000 and 100,000,000 civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Which then leads us neatly onto the Fermi paradox: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox Edit: outathaway, Unlikely.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something only the first three of those variables at the most can be defined, so that's complete nonsense.

Yeah... Seti has more of an open minded take on it - https://www.seti.org/drake-equation-index

But it's cool to be a dick, I guess.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Unlikely wrote:

It's a way of giving you probabilities, so everything after 3 is indeed a guess. It wasn't intended as a factual equation, just the start of a discussion point.

There is considerable disagreement on the values of these parameters, but the 'educated guesses' used by Drake and his colleagues in 1961 were:[17][18]

R∗ = 1 yr−1 (1 star formed per year, on the average over the life of the galaxy; this was regarded as conservative)
    fp = 0.2 to 0.5 (one fifth to one half of all stars formed will have planets)
    ne = 1 to 5 (stars with planets will have between 1 and 5 planets capable of developing life)
    fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
    fi = 1 (100% of which will develop intelligent life)
    fc = 0.1 to 0.2 (10–20% of which will be able to communicate)
    L = 1000 to 100,000,000 years (which will last somewhere between 1000 and 100,000,000 years)
    Inserting the above minimum numbers into the equation gives a minimum N of 20 (see: Range of results). Inserting the maximum numbers gives a maximum of 50,000,000. Drake states that given the uncertainties, the original meeting concluded that N ≈ L, and there were probably between 1000 and 100,000,000 civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.

So it's complete nonsense then, got it.

EDIT: Still banging that drum, Dyna?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Just wanted to point out that after a very quick search, it looks like there are a number of people who don't think the idea is nonsense.

I'm not going to 'beat that drum' too hard though.

It's not my favourite subject.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Except Bob Lazar didn't say fuck all for 25 years or so.

How many in here have watched the 2018 admittedly over stylised documentary on all this? I'd rather not believe him because if what he's saying is true, and the US crack this tech, you think Uncle Sam is a bad relation now? Jesus, fuck.

I watched it. I get the impression that the young Bob Lazar is a liar. I don't know his motivation but really who knows what motivates people? It could be lots of things outside the obvious money and fame. Maybe he couldn't even articulate it himself. He sounds confident and sure because he's been telling more or less exactly the same story for 30 years. He has it down to pat, including all possible questions.

The alien tech thing has been a conspiracy since the 50s. Funny how it starts just as the cold war starts. If they've been looking at this tech since Roswell in the 50s then where is all our space stuff? There's nothing we have that doesn't have a clear history of scientific research. There's no magic tech appearing out of nowhere.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!