Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Very wise.

Whatever.

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/the-drake-equation/

edit - Not quite '50,000', not quite 'nonsense'...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It depends what you're using it for. If you're using it as mathamatical proof that They Are Out There... Then yes its nonsense.

If you're using it for it's intended purpose, which this gives a nice explanation of, then its absolutely fine.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    No one mentioned 'proof' at any time.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You just did.
  • I'm guessing you didn't click on the link then, as it might as well have been an answer to the question Unlikely asked.

This is what Unlikely asked:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something only the first three of those variables at the most can be defined, so that's complete nonsense.

Which you'll see is rather similar to the question below.

Dear Dr. SETI:
    I read about the Drake Equation, but I find it´s pure guesswork to predict anything specific about the number of existing technological civilizations in our neighbourhood. I guess it is rather a matter of belief, and one guess can be about as good as another even if they ar wildly different. Am I completely wrong about that?

Jan, Denmark

The Doctor Responds:
    Not at all, Jan! The importance of the Drake Equation is not in the solving, but rather in the contemplation. It was written not for purposes of quantification at all, but rather as the agenda for the world's first SETI meeting, in Green Bank WV in 1961. It was quite useful for its intended application, which was to summarize all the various factors which scientists must contemplate when considering the question of other life.

It is interesting that when the Equation was first written, the only factor which we had any basis to estimate with reasonable accuracy was the first, the rate of stellar formation. In the four decades since, we have learned something about extra-solar planets, so we can now estimate the second factor. We also have direct evidence as to the existence of two planets in their star's habitable zones, so (though the sample size is small) we can roughly estimate the third factor. At this rate, we should have three more factors nailed down by the middle of the next century! A value for the seventh will probably always elude us.

For the record, I consider the Drake Equation to be a marvelous tool for quantifying our ignorance. But in case you'd like to have a go at solving it, here's a downloadable spreadsheet which will let you plug in your own estimates for each of the seven factors, and see what results from your assumptions.
  • Dino presented it as evidence of the existence approximately 50,000 planets containing sentient life in our galaxy. 
    dino wrote:
    The Drake equation is a probabilistic argument used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy

Even with the lowest numbers it suggests in the milky way alone there are 50,000 sentient civilisations.

As such, it's clearly nonsense.  If the intent behind the equation is to act as a starting point for discussion about the possibility of sentient alien life then great, although since you need to make up numbers in order for it to generate an output you might as well just start the conversation without it, as far as I can tell.

Full dislosure - haven't read the links as working.  Just explaining "nonsense" perspective.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's the point. Dino never used the word proof.
    'Suggests' was the word he used...

Rather than being nonsense, it's turned out to be quite an interesting fucking adjunct to the current line of conversation, I'd say.

But again, whatever.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Just explaining "nonsense" perspective.

You see, what's pissing me off, is the fact that we all find ourselves having to do that all the fucking time, like it's a smart thing to do.
  • fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
    fi = 1 (100% of which will develop intelligent life)
    L = 1000 to 100,000,000 years (which will last somewhere between 1000 and 100,000,000 years)

Sorry, but who is happy with these figures?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    @andy - Duck.

And by that, I mean the justification bit. Not the insult bit.
    But then we often conflate the two (justifications and insults), which is why I find myself making a point of it, again.

To the same two people, in a different thread, over a different subject.
  • Please highlight where I have insulted anyone in this discussion. To make this easier, I've quoted every post I've made in this discussion below.
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something only the first three of those variables at the most can be defined, so that's complete nonsense.
    It's a way of giving you probabilities, so everything after 3 is indeed a guess. It wasn't intended as a factual equation, just the start of a discussion point.
    There is considerable disagreement on the values of these parameters, but the 'educated guesses' used by Drake and his colleagues in 1961 were:[17][18] R∗ = 1 yr−1 (1 star formed per year, on the average over the life of the galaxy; this was regarded as conservative) fp = 0.2 to 0.5 (one fifth to one half of all stars formed will have planets) ne = 1 to 5 (stars with planets will have between 1 and 5 planets capable of developing life) fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life) fi = 1 (100% of which will develop intelligent life) fc = 0.1 to 0.2 (10–20% of which will be able to communicate) L = 1000 to 100,000,000 years (which will last somewhere between 1000 and 100,000,000 years) Inserting the above minimum numbers into the equation gives a minimum N of 20 (see: Range of results). Inserting the maximum numbers gives a maximum of 50,000,000. Drake states that given the uncertainties, the original meeting concluded that N ≈ L, and there were probably between 1000 and 100,000,000 civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.
    Yossarian wrote:
    Which then leads us neatly onto the Fermi paradox: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox Edit: outathaway, Unlikely.
    It depends what you're using it for. If you're using it as mathamatical proof that They Are Out There... Then yes its nonsense. If you're using it for it's intended purpose, which this gives a nice explanation of, then its absolutely fine.
    I'm guessing you didn't click on the link then, as it might as well have been an answer to the question Unlikely asked. This is what Unlikely asked:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Which you'll see is rather similar to the question below.
    Dear Dr. SETI: I read about the Drake Equation, but I find it´s pure guesswork to predict anything specific about the number of existing technological civilizations in our neighbourhood. I guess it is rather a matter of belief, and one guess can be about as good as another even if they ar wildly different. Am I completely wrong about that? Jan, Denmark The Doctor Responds: Not at all, Jan! The importance of the Drake Equation is not in the solving, but rather in the contemplation. It was written not for purposes of quantification at all, but rather as the agenda for the world's first SETI meeting, in Green Bank WV in 1961. It was quite useful for its intended application, which was to summarize all the various factors which scientists must contemplate when considering the question of other life. It is interesting that when the Equation was first written, the only factor which we had any basis to estimate with reasonable accuracy was the first, the rate of stellar formation. In the four decades since, we have learned something about extra-solar planets, so we can now estimate the second factor. We also have direct evidence as to the existence of two planets in their star's habitable zones, so (though the sample size is small) we can roughly estimate the third factor. At this rate, we should have three more factors nailed down by the middle of the next century! A value for the seventh will probably always elude us. For the record, I consider the Drake Equation to be a marvelous tool for quantifying our ignorance. But in case you'd like to have a go at solving it, here's a downloadable spreadsheet which will let you plug in your own estimates for each of the seven factors, and see what results from your assumptions.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Kow wrote:

The alien tech thing has been a conspiracy since the 50s. Funny how it starts just as the cold war starts. If they've been looking at this tech since Roswell in the 50s then where is all our space stuff? There's nothing we have that doesn't have a clear history of scientific research. There's no magic tech appearing out of nowhere.

How much tech would cavemen get from a space shuttle?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Pardon?

Sorry.

Simply put, Unlikely especially, claims to take exception to topics of conversation that are poorly researched, yet here, he's dismissed a pretty interesting contribution to a topic of conversation out of hand, with scant investigation.

It actually does appear to be an area of active research (look up professor Sara Seager), and has direct relevance to our current line of conversation.

So why are we dismissing the contribution as "nonsense"?

Well... Getting into that wouldn't be directly relevant to the fucking topic, frankly.

Just as it would waste time to highlight where Dante's insulted anyone, because fucks alive, I never said he did. But I am calling him out for defending Unlikely's position.

Again, not directly relevant.

Professor Seager though probably is.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I enjoyed those Fermi Paradox videos.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:

The alien tech thing has been a conspiracy since the 50s. Funny how it starts just as the cold war starts. If they've been looking at this tech since Roswell in the 50s then where is all our space stuff? There's nothing we have that doesn't have a clear history of scientific research. There's no magic tech appearing out of nowhere.

We aren’t cavemen and 60+ years is a long time.
  • I've misunderstood this then, because it read like you were to me.
    @andy - Duck. And by that, I mean the justification bit. Not the insult bit. But then we often conflate the two (justifications and insults), which is why I find myself making a point of it, again. To the same two people, in a different thread, over a different subject.

If it doesn't mean that, I don't really know what you're accusing me of.
  • Sorry.

No need to apologise, I didn’t realise that you were saying, ‘duck’ as in ‘this is not aimed at you’, so I was a bit confused.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Used as a comparison bud. Watch the doc or Rogan cast and it would make more sense.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I get that it’s a comparison, but it’s a bad one. Cavemen wouldn’t have had any conception that a space shuttle is a thing that could be understood, and they wouldn’t have had the scientific method with which to try and understand it.
  • I enjoyed those Fermi Paradox videos.

Kurgesagt (however you spell it) are generally pretty good
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yoss, OK it was clumsy comparison, more for dramatic effect than anything.

How about taking a portable nuclear reactor back to the 17th century?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Used as a comparison bud. Watch the doc or Rogan cast and it would make more sense.

Or ability to research and learn has increased exponentially. It's not a valid comparison. (I've seen both the doc and the podcast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How about taking a portable nuclear reactor back to the 17th century?

Wot Kow sed.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Back in 1989 Bob Lazar said their tech was still so beyond our comprehension that it was his understanding the programs were shut down on eight year cycles as our incremental science would have advanced enough to perhaps provide a better analysis.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    We get better at making our own stuff gents.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So they actively stopped researching alien tech? Right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We get better at understanding the world around us.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    So they actively stopped researching alien tech? Right.

Ramped it down not stopped as literally getting nowhere.

Think corporations are involved with the military nowadays so things have changed.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Need to get ready for dinner, but have more to say on the subject :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!