Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Here we have confirmed military video and and expert multiple eye witnessing of an actual event that has magical capabilities and yet most of the world believes there's an invisible man in the sky and some badgers are calling others fucking stupid to postulate these are things are not from round here.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Religious people are also stupid if that helps.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Mistaken might be a less adversarial word.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Look, it’s a simple balance of probabilities. What’s more likely, that various militaries around the world have advanced tech that they have kept secret or there are aliens from other galaxies visiting the earth?

It seems like a no brainer to me.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yoss, something that impossible could be just as likely to be a more advanced unmanned probes like our voyager.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Except it’s not “that impossible”. It’s a scientific breakthrough or two beyond what we currently have. Those breakthroughs could have happened without our knowledge.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I have an image of clangers chatting, 'You say you saw a rocket come from that blue planet? Whistle, toot haha, more like the soup dragon is up to something.'
  • Mistaken might be a less adversarial word.

Twas a joke.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    'You say you saw a rocket come from that blue planet which has been slowly filling up with unexplained lights over the past 100 years or so? That may just be starting to add up to something’.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Drake equation is it's not an equation but a biased guestimate based on Earth stuff, which is exactly the opposite stuff it's trying to guess about. It can, in no way, be used to estimate anything, even probalistically. The observable universe is so big it makes more statistical sense to consider it infinite in size (and it may well be) but finite in age. 1% of infinity is still infinity and Drake doesn't even attempt to answer this.

That's the treatment it deserved. 

What Professor Seager tried to do with the idea was drop some of the cruft (the probability of a civilisation regenerating (wtf), the assumption of the use of radio), and re-purpose it as a tool for estimating how many planets, with life, could be out there. Mostly to provide a starting point for how and where you'd possibly begin to look.

I don't think that's nonsense.

That's how many of the great ideas start out (like, what did everyone do before Planck's constant?).

I guess the difference here is that there's no discernible clue for a 'pattern' or even a precise goal to a search for life beyond Earth right now. So it's easy to fuck with anyone with any kind of conviction.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    'You say you saw a rocket come from that blue planet which has been slowly filling up with unexplained lights over the past 100 years or so? That may just be starting to add up to something’.

The Clangers had lights!

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So they probably recognised the appearance of them elsewhere as a sign of an advanced civilisation.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    But interplanetary travel?
  • Some of you are on another fucking planet. How'd you get there?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    My point was a Clanger saw something impossible to them and they didn't believe the eye witness and blamed the smarter soup dragon with no evidence.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nobody’s disbelieving the eyewitness, we’re just pointing out that there are more plausible explanations than the one that you’ve jumped to.
  • The question that never seems to be asked is, if we were able to track something on radar, how did we miss it's approach to the planet, descent through the atmosphere, and subsequent ascent to space and leaving earth?
  • Planet Yoss, dullest planet in the Ennui system. Inhabitants benefit from an equal distribution of misery. Atmosphere predominantly vape.
  • The question that never seems to be asked is, if we were able to track something on radar, how did we miss it's approach to the planet, descent through the atmosphere, and subsequent ascent to space and leaving earth?

The account described here is in the Pacific Ocean which is slightly large compared to possible radar coverage and temporal satellite resolution. That is, if something was there at all.

I don't believe the people are lying, but nor do I believe aliens have visited here. The universe is big and there are bound to be other forms of life and civilisations we might be able to recognise if we ever met. But the idea that is more attractive to me is that we are too far separated in time and space to ever meet one outside of a beacon of a long extinct one.

The argument the universe is large is obviously true, but time is deep. Single cell life emerged on Earth relatively quickly (about a billion years after the planet), but it still took another 3.5bn years for multicellular life to emerge, and another 0.65 billion years for us to emerge as a species. If evolutionary pressures work throughout the universe on essentially similar principles, this naturally makes it possible to statistacally argue that whilst life may be common, intelligent life will likely be very distant from other intelligent life on other planets.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That's only based on our evolution. Presumably life started by chance and could easily have happened 10,097 years early making us likely to have managed interstellar travel. Just imagine if the middle ages hadn't held us back.
  • The dark ages didn't hold anything up.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The nearest sun to us has 'Goldilock' planets around it and that's just forty years travel based on our best propulsion. If some tech can warp space, that's four years to our current understanding. How long had Voyager been sending data back us before the little fella left our solar system?
  • Although statistically you wouldnt expect an even (and consistently enormous) separation in space between life-supporting planets. Given similar starting conditions (progenitor supernovae ejecta, stable star forming region, dense molecular clouds of protein building blocks, CO, OH, etc) it is reasonable to assume there will be clusters of solar systems in relative proximity with the right ingredients for life.

Of course that then requires rocky and water planets forming in benign environments, and all sorts of beneficial chance events. The same way we look at Mars for possible life should also hold for nearby stars - we shouldn't be surprised to find similar chemical mixes around the region of stars that formed near the sun (although these will all likely be dispersed through a larger volume in the galaxy, so it wont necessarily be our nearest stars we would find these conditions).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    The dark ages didn't hold anything up.
    I wasn't there but didn't revelation replace investigation really until the scientific method in 17th century?

Neil thinks so.
  • Why the fuck would it be aliens when it’s clearly time travellers?! Jesus.
    (Who was probably also a time traveller)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Off for a dip in the pool.
  • Should look up a def of Dark Ages buddy
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Should look up a def of Dark Ages buddy
    Meant Middle back to Dark but NDT explains above. Like I said I wasn't there nor was he so...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!