Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    There may have been some foul play?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ZINGER.
  • Djornson wrote:
    I can’t believe this Mandela effect is even a thing tbh. Isn’t it a few people mis-remembering and then others looking for positive correlation to make their ‘theory’? Fucking bananas.
    I don't know if that's a fair description. People find out that a memory they hold is incorrect, for example, a line in a film they've watched many times, they discover other people that misremember in the same way, they find that weird and interesting. That's literally all the Mandella Effect is, a commonly held false memory. I think what you are describing is the few who invent a theory about the reason it happened, go around looking for other examples, and attack anybody who dares to question their completely unscientific theory. I guess they either fear the idea that memory is fallible and/or that there is something they don't understand. Quite a few examples are very American centric but there are lots of potential factors to that. For example, there are a lot of Americans. There's a lot of Europeans too but our languages, products and media are more different.
    Sorry it was that bit i was getting at but also who the fuck thinks NM dies in the fucking 90's?  Morans, that's who.

Lol. I did :) briefly, until i googled it. I think thats the point, most people aren't willing to admit they are Morons/have a false memory, so they must be some other (crazy) explanation.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Another USS Nimitz crew member account. Don't know if anyone here is watching these videos I'm posting, but the accounts are compelling.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The thing is we've being seeing more or less the same thing for 70 years and nothing has changed. Improvements in technology have brought nothing more. These aliens seem to be running over the same old ground. Or if there's a conspiracy then it's the best and longest cover up ever.
  • Djornson wrote:
    People find out that a memory they hold is incorrect, for example, a line in a film they've watched many times, they discover other people that misremember in the same way, they find that weird and interesting. That's literally all the Mandella Effect is, a commonly held false memory.

Let’s take a quoted example. “Luke, I am your father,” versus, “No, I am your father.” The difference is pretty insignificant, it certainly doesn’t affect the meaning of the line. The first word isn’t the bit that has impact, it’s what follows. The first one is more likely to stick in the mind if one hears it recounted that way, because it is another marker that helps identify the reference. I honestly think that it’s totally misplaced to suggest that people remember the wrong line from watching the film. They remember the wrong line from hearing the wrong line. It’s not a shared false memory, it’s just shared misinformation.

If there was a shared false memory like, say, a bunch of people remembering that there was a scene in Empire Strikes Back where Chewbacca died his fur purple, that would be interesting.

The closest example I’ve read is that a bunch of people thought they remembered a film called Shazam where Sinbad played a genie. No such film exists. However, it then transpires that Sinbad was in an advert or episode of a TV show where he was dressed in an outfit very similar to a genie, and there is a film called Kazam, where Shaqil O’Neill played a genie. Here’s the thing; I don’t for one minute believe that lots of people imagined for themselves that they saw a film called Shazam where Sinbad played a genie. What I do believe is that, when asked if they remembered a film called Shazam where Sinbad played a genie, their brains conflated two very hazy memories. Again, it’s not a shared false memory, it’s misinformation.

If I read a genuine example of a false memory that a significant number of people have formed independent of each other, I’ll sit up and listen. Until then, I just don’t recognise it as a thing, let alone an interesting or weird thing.
  • One prominent example is a 2010 study which examined people familiar with the clock at Bologna Centrale railway station, which was damaged in the Bologna massacre bombing in August 1980. In the study, 92% of respondents falsely remembered the clock had remained stopped since the bombing, when in fact, the clock was repaired shortly after the attack. Years later the clock was again stopped and set to the time of the bombing in observation and commemoration of the bombing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But how old were the respondents?
  • Again, though, I don’t find that a significant false memory. The clock was stopped in a bombing. That’s not an invented memory. Today, it constantly shows the time of the bombing. How many of those people know it worked for a while? Even if they did, it’s not a falsely created memory, they’ve just forgotten that it worked for a bit. That’s not remarkable.
  • *shrug* fair enough.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    The thing is we've being seeing more or less the same thing for 70 years and nothing has changed. Improvements in technology have brought nothing more. These aliens seem to be running over the same old ground. Or if there's a conspiracy then it's the best and longest cover up ever.

Who knows what these, let's say plausible encounters are. Seems that the US brass are in the same boat, so what can they do but hope they stay benign?

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    let's say plausible

I don’t find them plausible.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    By your own admission you've not watched any of the Nimitz interviews so how did you reach that conclusion?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Because the alternative suggestions of faulty equipment sexed up by alien fans immediately strikes me as by far the most likely explanation. No eyewitness accounts will shift that.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The more generally worrying thing about this so called 'Mandela Effect', is how we humans are so fucking scared of just putting our hands up, and saying, "I'm not sure".

I think that goes for both sides of this of this UFO debate. For example, questioning the credibility of the people who took the vids, when clearly, the navy itself, as an organisation concedes that it's stumped here. Not the individuals themselves.

As for this thread, both sides are accusing the other of clutching at straws, when better judges than ourselves have already admitted that they don't have a Scooby...

It's a UFO by definition, after all...

Given that we're in new territory with these revelations, I'd probably listen more to those who'd believed in this UFO shit from the start, because there's half a chance that they'll be proven right about other shit too.

As a case in point, I've been reading about Edward Snowden recently...
    Think about all the rumours and folk stories about NSA capability before Snowden... Mostly terrifying and unbelievable stuff...

Post Snowden? Much of that shit was proven true, some of it was dispelled, yet some of it, was actually far more terrifying than anyone would have guessed too.

There's something to those vids. Whether they're aliens, that's another thing... I mean, it could also be a demonstration of hallucinatory drugs, cloaking tech... Fuck knows.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Clearly, the navy itself, as an organisation concedes that it's stumped here. Not the individuals themselves.

Is there an official statement from the navy saying this (preferably not one sourced from RT)?
    It's a UFO by definition, after all...

Not if it’s a technology glitch it’s not, then it’s not even an O, let alone F.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Navy spokesperson Joe Gradisher confirmed to CNN the following:

'The objects seen in three clips of declassified military footage are "unidentified aerial phenomena,"

'The UAPs are just a fraction of the incursions Navy training ranges see.'

'For many years, our aviators didn't report these incursions because of the stigma attached to previous terminology and theories about what may or may not be in those videos," he said.

The only way to find out what those UAP are, he said, is to encourage trainees to report them when they see them.'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/20/us/ufo-sightings-history-scn-trnd/index.html

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That statement could be read as the navy not wanting to reveal what these are rather than them not knowing what they are.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    If you watch the interviews I've posted and then read the Navy statement you might reach a different conclusion.

Here's yet another witness from the events in Nov 2004

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I started watching that one, but it seems he’s a witness to watching a video?

If I’m going to watch one of these, which should it be?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Edit: Oops should have linked part one ):

Posted this one in July. I got interested in this story after CNN et all covered it a few months ago.

Full encounter description starts 7 minutes in

Take it away Cmdr Fravor (Retired)

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    To support the incident, Kevin Day, the radar operative in contact with Cmdr Fravor goes into great detail in this interview. Their state of the art equipment was working fine.

Edit: Shenanigans with optical voice com recordings and the Air Force confiscating the 'Hawkeye' radar plane HDD's...

Part 2

• Cmdr Fravor is on the latest Joe Rogan podcast. Id forgotten that the tic tac was visible with the naked eye. Only half an hour in or so but he seems pretty credible.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Very.

When I've discussed this account, a few people just dismiss it out of hand which is incredibly short sighted. 'Show me scientific evidence' is a legit comment, except these things can't be studied in a controlled environment because of their sporadic and elusive nature.
    That, and it scares them - a reasonable response to tech that is far beyond known limits flying around with impunity.

Anyway, judge for yourselves

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ok, so that doesn't sound like a normal drone, or even a somewhat plausible, funky ramjet / thrust vectoring drone... 

But this podcast does sound a bit like a fringe fortean broadcast at times.

Never heard of Element 115 before though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    That's showbiz! (Jazz hands)

No sonic boom so that's fucky for starters.
  • Only half an hour in or so but he seems pretty credible.
    Very.

I’m twelve minutes in, and he’s talking in far too much detail for an incident that happened 15 years ago.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Interestingly, at 1:34:00 in, dude himself actually mentions thrust vectoring as being a way to do some unconventional shit, but he is quite convincing to listen to.

The guy with the beard though? He really does sound like he needs a new tinfoil hat at times.
    But this is a really a question of whether you believe Favors. Which I think I do.

And he's suggesting this is all a regular part of Naval culture, and that there are other stories out there. The way he frames it too, is interesting.

Like, yes, the navy logs this, there are some freaked out soldiers out there, and yes, some of this is in the public domain.

That's quite apart from the years of absolute denials we've had.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Only half an hour in or so but he seems pretty credible.
    Very.
    I’m twelve minutes in, and he’s talking in far too much detail for an incident that happened 15 years ago.

Well... He has official videos to support his story, so that would be quite an effective mnemonic. Science would agree with that. 

He suggests that there are other stories to corroborate the story though, Andy. So if we wanted to refute his claim, that would be a place to start.

To begin with, he referenced a very particular military exercise, with specific equipment names, and exercise details. So if you don't believe him, that would be a place to start.

And for me, until anyone he cites shuts him down with a direct challenge, then I'm keeping an open mind for now.

Edit - @Andy, ignore the above, unless you're listening to the Rogan thing.
  • Exercise names and the ordnance he has equipped are easy things to get right. What he saw is the kind of thing, though, where his brain will fill in detail over time, based on factors not available to him at the time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!