Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Exercise names and the ordnance he has equipped are easy things to get right. What he saw is the kind of thing, though, where his brain will fill in detail over time, based on factors not available to him at the time.

I get the hindsight bias thing. So if you're aware of that, I suspect you're also aware of the somatic marker hypothesis (effectively the suspected physiological basis for PTSD... But I over simplify).

While photographic memories are rare, it is suspected that it is possible to remember things from a long time ago, in great detail, given the right conditions... Usually related to extreme stress or pleasure.

An event like that, (being a fighter pilot, encountering an object that far outclasses any weapon you've encountered), I guess, would definitely be a candidate for that level of subjective attention and subsequent recall.

I'm not dispelling your right to disbelief... I think this is interesting for the fact it's made the public domain, and that the military aren't covering this up... But I'd also like more cogent explanations for things I don't quite understand.

I'm just trying to say in reply to what you've wrote, that while your point about the psychology of long term memory is true to a large degree, it's definitely not a fact that can be relied on, one hundred percent.

It is a very interesting field of research though.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Andy, which part of Favor's account in do you think might be fabricated? He seem's almost downplaying the events.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • . 'Show me scientific evidence' is a legit comment, except these things can't be studied in a controlled environment because of their sporadic and elusive nature.
    ]

Neither can, I dunno, the sun, but yet we can say things about it.

Silly reduction of science to labcoats and Bunsen burners.

;)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I imagine that Andy has more experiance than any of us in asking people to recall long passed events where detail is important.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Memory is notoriously rubbish.
  • Mine definitely is
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    . 'Show me scientific evidence' is a legit comment, except these things can't be studied in a controlled environment because of their sporadic and elusive nature.
    ]

Neither can, I dunno, the sun, but yet we can say things about it.

Silly reduction of science to labcoats and Bunsen burners.

;)

Clumsy/silly phrasing aside, the sun isn't sporadic or elusive.
  • Are there still lots of “black triangle” ufos these days now that we all know about the F-117?
  • Ok, then pick something that's more elusive. The type of argument you're making there is identical to "you can't observe evolution because its in the past, ergo it's not science."

If I was being unkind, I'd nearly think you were setting up the claim to be unfalsifiable.

Quick way to never have to give up on an idea we like.
  • Andy, which part of Favor's account in do you think might be fabricated? He seem's almost downplaying the events.

I didn’t listen for very much longer, it was just my reaction to what you and superfly considered a very credible witness. While calmness, assuredness and certainty certainly tend to boost our confidence in someone’s reliability, I’d be very suspicious of someone claiming to recall so many specific details with such clarity, and maintaining chronological continuity, after 15 months, let alone fifteen years. He’s not recounting an event as he remembers it, he’s telling a well-rehearsed story, and I’d have grave doubts about how much is what he saw, and how much is blanks filled by hearing his colleagues accounts’ of the same event.

I’ve had a crowd tell me a man had a gun. An automatic rifle, specifically. What he actually had was a baseball bat.

I will always be sceptical of people describing something with which they are unfamiliar, especially when they’ve heard others’ accounts. Because of the way memory works, they won’t even know they are doing it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Face, no I'm saying if until one of these objects can be thoroughly examined we are left with a lot of questions about this event.
  • I was an eye witness to a stabbing and massive Brawl 4 years ago.

I was able to be on the phone to police while it was still happening.

I then did a statement at the police station 3 weeks later. I had access to what I'd said in the call to cross reference, and a map.

Even at the time, I'd only describe it as mostly accurate, and I couldn't identify any specific folks involved.

They've been faffing with trial for years, but I did get on the stand 2 years after.

Even then, I basically relied on my statement. (and there were details that I'd forgotten until I read them again.)

If I get called again it'll be a waste of time. Use my statement, because I doubt I'll recognise half of it now.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I imagine that Andy has more experiance than any of us in asking people to recall long passed events where detail is important.

I did actually want to bring that up. It's a fair point.

@Face - In the case of this pilot, not only is the memory particularly prominent, it sounds like he's been recalling the event repeatedly, for many years now, in some cases, daily.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Andy, seems to me that remembering details could be a consequence of his training and should think sounds rehearsed if it's been recounted regularly as he has stated.

Edit: Snap :)
  • @Face - In the case of this pilot, not only is the memory particularly prominent, it sounds like he's been recalling the event repeatedly, for many years now, in some cases, daily.

That doesn’t help its accuracy. Stories develop. One day he introduces a description of something he knows from other flights, and before we know it, it’s something he specifically remembers happening that day.
  • Quite.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I'm just asking which details you think are inaccurate?

Edited.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    @Face - In the case of this pilot, not only is the memory particularly prominent, it sounds like he's been recalling the event repeatedly, for many years now, in some cases, daily.

That doesn’t help its accuracy. Stories develop. One day he introduces a description of something he knows from other flights, and before we know it, it’s something he specifically remembers happening that day.

Well, he mentions debriefing sessions with high ranking officials that must have also used the resources that aren't in the public domain for additional information. Including recordings that he may or may not have access too, which would surely be even more helpful to recalling the story...

Are you saying you outright don't believe this guy? He's also claimed that at least 2 others have seen what he's seen in those vids, and references a good number of other witnesses who all sound similarly credible...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy, seems to me that remembering details could be a consequence of his training and should think sounds rehearsed if it's been recounted regularly as he has stated.

Are military personnel trained in memory techniques? I can’t particularly see why they would be.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Didn't think it a stretch to have a good memory if your in command of training fighter pilots is all.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    An interesting take on Fravor's account here...

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2018/05/navy_pilots_2004_ufo_a_comedy_of_errors/

I'm keeping an open mind.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Are military personnel trained in memory techniques? I can’t particularly see why they would be.

They are not.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Didn't think it a stretch to have a good memory if your in command of training fighter pilots is all.

Having a good memory is by no means a requirement for training people, especially in situations where there are going to be a large number of people recording huge amounts of data for you and everything is going to be recorded anyway.
  • An interesting take on Fravor's account here...

Thank christ. I'll take Joe nickel over rogan and this pilot thanks.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Me? I'm not taking sides. I don't have enough info yet...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Funny how all these fast flying things seem to be flying around military planes and ships and near military bases. Just coincidence I guess. They're smart enough to avoid being caught or properly filmed, 'pre-empting' manoeuvres, but they don't make any attempt to make contact. And they've been doing it for 70 years. Hmm.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    An interesting take on Fravor's account here...

Thank christ. I'll take Joe nickel over rogan and this pilot thanks.

So Joe dismisses the whole incident (except the carrier radar accounts, reroute of the training jets, the second reconnaissance etc etc) because of a height discrepancy of the object and adds his own suppositions?

Fravor goes into explicit detail of what's happening on the video in question.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Looks guys, the interviews and videos are available to all, take from them what you will.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Funny how all these fast flying things seem to be flying around military planes and ships and near military bases. Just coincidence I guess. They're smart enough to avoid being caught or properly filmed, 'pre-empting' manoeuvres, but they don't make any attempt to make contact. And they've been doing it for 70 years. Hmm.

I always put that shit in the 'against' column... Why do only drunk people, and fighter pilots see these things?
    Unless those drunk people generally find these things near military bases... Then that could establish a pattern...

Thinking of Fravor specifically, he doesn't come across at all as kooky, but you could argue that attending to the UFO circuit can provide an amusing and somewhat assured post military career...

But it did sound like he saw something that's not easily explained, and however much one tries to raise effect of a cognitive fallacy (mnemonic fallacy... whatever), he does appear to offer uncommon information that many experts appear to uphold, rather than just outright refute...

Plus, "I wanna' believe.". And possibly pork Scully...
  • Looks guys, the interviews and videos are available to all, take from them what you will.

Sorry, I have zero time for rogan. Prick interviews nazis goes both sides soft ball on everything. Least interesting famous person in a while.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!