Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ok, gun to my head its bollocks.
    Well, it's good to know death by headshot is the measurement of belief.
    I believe nothing! I genuinely dont know what is on the video. Push comes to shove though I bet its not aliens.

Regarding the farm, I remember now I heard it mentioned on TCH as well. There was a journalist on recently that spoke about it. 
    I brought up the baby farm thing specifically, cos this is meant to be tinfoil around your nutsack thread is it not? Can we not just ramble on about crazy things we have heard and put forth wild theories? 
    Considering the atmosphere in here, I feel it appropriate to use the following disclaimer: "Simply by listening to and mentioning the TCH podcast does not mean that I 100%(or even 1%) believe in all or any of the topics broached. Similarly, by not instantly dismissing any interesting case, does not mean that I think it was aliens"

It's still important to call out bullshit when you see it though.

The human mind is a pretty stupid thing. Here's a few reasons why just discussing crazy things, without a counter argument, can be dangerous;

When it comes to believing something of which you personally have no way of verifying:

• Multiple sources are more persuasive than a single source, especially if those sources contain different arguments that point to the same conclusion.
    • Receiving the same or similar message from multiple sources is more persuasive.
    • People assume that information from multiple sources is likely to be based on different perspectives and as such worth greater consideration.
    • Communications from groups to which the recipient belongs are more likely to be perceived as credible. The same applies when the source is perceived as similar to the recipient.

Now, let's talk about just talking about stuff:

• Repeated exposure to a statement has been shown to increase its acceptance as true.
    • The “illusory truth effect” is well documented, whereby people rate statements as more truthful, valid, and believable when they have encountered those statements previously than when they are new statements.
    • When people are less interested in a topic, they are more likely to accept familiarity brought about by repetition as an indicator that the information (repeated to the point of familiarity) is correct.
    • When processing information, people often save time and energy by using a frequency heuristic (favoring information they have heard more frequently).
    • Even with preposterous stories and urban legends, those who have heard them multiple times are more likely to believe that they are true.
    • If an individual is already familiar with an argument or claim (has seen it before, for example), they process it less carefully, often failing to discriminate weak arguments from strong arguments.

But we all know its bollocks right? It's just a bit of fun, no one really believes the crazy stuff, right? :

• In a phenomenon known as the “sleeper effect,” low- credibility sources manifest greater persuasive impact with the passage of time. While people make initial assessments of the credibility of a source, in remembering, information is often dissociated from its source. Thus, information from a questionable source may be remembered as true, with the source forgotten.
    • Information that is initially assumed valid but is later retracted or proven false can continue to shape people’s memory and influence their reasoning.
    • Even when people are aware that some sources have the potential to contain misinformation, they still show a poor ability to discriminate between information that is false and information that is correct.

Yeah, but we have evidence, and expert witnesses!" There's a reason why people who are trying to convince you of a conspiracy theory claim they have 'evidence' when they don't, and that people are 'experts' when thay aren't:

• The presence of evidence can override the effects of source credibility on perceived veracity of statements.
    • In courtroom simulations, witnesses who provide more details—even trivial details—are judged to be more credible.
    • Peripheral cues, such as the appearance of expertise or the format of information, lead people to accept—with little reflection—that the information comes from a credible source.
    • Expertise and trustworthiness are the two primary dimensions of credibility, and these qualities may be evaluated based on visual cues, such as format, appearance, or simple claims of expertise.

So, by all means keep discussing crazy things, but when you start talking about nonsense like baby farms in Brazil, don't take it personally when people shout it down as the nonsense it is, they are doing you a favour.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Opining and debunking should all be taken in good humor. No need for anyone to feel their parades are being pissed on. Or their chips. Or whatever.
  • I totally agree actual two-sided discussion is far healthier and desireable. I guess what ticks me off is the dismissal of stuff without a counter-argument. I think that is why tensions are brewing around the tic tac incident. Pieces of information have been presented to show something occurred yet there seems to be a pervasive attitude of "its just all bollocks innit".

I listen to the AstronomyCast from time to time, but Frasier's constant interrupting annoys me. But one of the more recent episodes was very interesting. Pamela Gay described the initial experiments done by the Viking craft to test for biosignatures on Mars. Of the four tests done 3 indicated microbial life and the 4th was flawed. Apparently the scientist responsible for the tests thinks there is a conspiracy theory to keep it quiet so that humans landing wont be prohibited.
    This seems very interesting!!! Discuss!!!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Of course "something" happened. What is bollocks is the idea that because it can't be easily explained then it must be aliens or Jesus, when clearly it's time travellers.
  • djchump wrote:
    Of course "something" happened. What is bollocks is the idea that because it can't be easily explained then it must be aliens or Jesus, when clearly it's time travellers.
    The fuck its time travellers. I didnt see a single Delorean anywhere in that video.
  • I totally agree actual two-sided discussion is far healthier and desireable. I guess what ticks me off is the dismissal of stuff without a counter-argument. I think that is why tensions are brewing around the tic tac incident. Pieces of information have been presented to show something occurred yet there seems to be a pervasive attitude of "its just all bollocks innit".

Gotta be careful here.

Its important to know the history of the specific claim. The history of the type of claim and the history of both who's making the claim and who's responding to it.

I'll use climate change as an example here, as I've spent a year, off and on, arguing with my brother in law on the subject.

Let's say lord monkton makes a new video or does a new talk this week claiming cc isn't happening. He has info and graphs and jargon, it goes for an hour.

A climate scientist sees it on twitter and says #bollocksinnit.

I can tell you precisely why they did it and why they're right to not engage seriously.

There is a point where it's clear it's a waste of time engaging.

(should mention I don't think bad hair is lord monkton level nuff nuff at all, so analogy isn't direct.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Who is an expert on this though? Who is the climate scientist equivalent here? Giorgio Tsoukalos thats who. :D
    I take your point as read tbh, I presume most people would.

If someone links a story wherein some lunatic claims they were abducted by aliens. There is zero evidence but the person's word. In that case #bollocksinnit fits perfectly.

But in the tic tac case there is more. Which is why I get irritated when its instantly shot down(hohohohoho). If one is dismissing the tic tac as not being worthy of engaging with then please enlighten the rest of us as to why.

What Im saying is I want someone to supply evidence or opinions or theories as to why its a bad idea to put stock in what Luis Elizondo/the pilot man are saying. The fact that Tom Delonge is involved is almost evidence enough IMO.....
  • Modern Rogue guys again, I think this is really relevant to the general conversations on false memories etc.
    You can also play along, have a pen and paper ready.

The last test says a lot about our politics.
  • If one is dismissing the tic tac as not being worthy of engaging with then please enlighten the rest of us as to why.

What Im saying is I want someone to supply evidence or opinions or theories as to why its a bad idea to put stock in what Luis Elizondo/the pilot man are saying. The fact that Tom Delonge is involved is almost evidence enough IMO.....

I give up.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    This is your job ninj

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • My job is to read all the stuff you guys post :D Like fuck Im doing any ACTUAL research! 
    All jest aside I reread some of my posts. The tone I meant to impart was much lighter than how it reads.

But Im still genuinely intrigued by the experiments regarding microbial Mars life that I mentioned earlier!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A delicacy in Korea. What isn't?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So according to the new episode of Mysterious Universe, the US Navy has filled some (public) patents that seem eerily similar to the stories recounted by Luis Elizondo etc. Possibly some long misinformation game?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Harry blanking Johnson on down the page.  Heh....
  • Hey @Superflyninja i have a new podcast of coast 2 coast am that maybe of interest. Skinwalker Ranch in utah has been sold by bigalow aerospace to a private individual who wants to build on the research BAASS did there. Also in the 2nd half of the podcast they have Robbie Williams on the show (yep ex take that singer). Apparently hes big into the unknown and managed to get to visit skinwalker ranch. Also he talks about the paranormal experiences he has had occur through his life.

If you want let me know.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Williams is a fucking loony tune.
  • Im about to have a listen to his segment.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm afraid Skinwalker ranch is a con job. There's an interesting book about it which bigs up the paranormal aspects but it's all been debunked. Pity, it was a good story. I believe there's a Monster Talk podcast about it, which is interesting. Here.
  • The robbie williams hour was an interesting listen. Went down to skinwalker ranch with george knapp who wrote the book "hunt for the skinwalker" when he accompanied the NIDS scientists during their research.

So Robbie Williams said he experienced nothing at the ranch. However his personal security guard (ex-army etc), saw something that scared the crap out of him and he got robbie williams out of there asap. Entertaining story.

@kow, i will have a listen to the podcast. I disagree that its a con job, as the Ute legends for the area go back hundreds of years. Bigalow areospace under the auspice of NIDS and BAASS spend millions on researching the ranch. But its not worth getting into a back and forth. I will listen to the podcast at the link you provided.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most of the Skinwalker stuff is lights in the sky, ufos and cattle mutilations - classic ufo things. Very little has anything to do with actual Skinwalker legends. I read the book and it turned out to be far less interesting than I had hoped.
  • So what’s at the ranch then? *please say it’s aliens*  Is it just cows and machinery? *please say it’s aliens* Big eared boys and massive sheds hiding massive chickens that can’t understand why they’re so big?  *please say its aliens* Chip fed swans?
    It’s aliens, isn’t it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's definitely aliens.
  • Kow i listened to the postcast you linked. It was abit all over the shop. Annoying they'd throw in a line on something not expand on it and move on. I dont personally think they debunked anything but im seeing things from a different vantage point. I will listen to something else they have done to see if it is more structured. The subject matter in this didnt lead itself towards a constructive narrative.

Were you refering to George Knapps book? I liked it though it would have been better if it had more about the ute legends and folklaw in regards to the uinta basin and the skinwalker folk tales.
  • why am i so big!?
  • I like how there is always an ex-military person.

My mum is ex-military and she will shout at you for putting new shoes on the table.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I can't wait.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Tempy wrote:
    why am i so big!?

The chips make them float better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!