Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I read it. I disagree with it.

Yeah you need to back that up.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • So if we all exist in a simulation, then there is a God.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just not that one, or the other one, or them.
  • My ears were burning.
  • @SpaceGazelle

Whats this business with the universe being finite/infinite s unknown?

Last I heard the thinking was it was open + flat and infinite. But going back to that Poincare sphere topic there's a suggestion that it might not be infinite. I'm not informed on the terminology of topology (bounded?)  but what is your understanding of what it would take to determine if the universe is infinite or not?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I read it. I disagree with it.

Yeah you need to back that up.

I just don't think it's a logically sound argument.
    Isn't he saying that "in order to simulate infinity you would need infinite resources" which isn't possible. Therefore any simulated universe cannot actually be infinite.

So if you can prove your universe is infinite you prove it cannot be a simulation.

In particular, saying "if X is infinite then Y has to be infinite but Y must be finite so that's impossible QED" rests on the assumption that, well, Y must be finite. Which, particularly in a hypothesis where you've allowed X to be infinite, seems unreasonable.

As per other bits I chucked in: so we think time is continuous? If so, doesn't that mean it's infinitely decomposable? Isn't that an infinity?

I also thought your changed to simulation meaning starting state + rules. I don't understand what we're leaving resources of, in that description.

Basically you're defining a great if stuff, claiming inferences, and then expecting me to shoot it down. Needs rather more rigor for me to take it seriously. So I cba for now really, as interesting as it might be as an idea. Tho ofc I might backtrack on that :p
  • The simulation hypothesis is fairly partridgeshrug for me.

Wolfram has done physics -

visual-summary-darkmode-4k.jpg
    There, sorted.

There's this white paper which is cool as fuck to look at if nothing else (probably will lag to death if viewed on a mobile device, many graphics).

Was skipping through this livestream he did and happened to land on the bit where he has a reckon for the clockspeed of the universe / smallest unit of elementary time -

(3:20:50)
  • Also, him and his son, Christopher Wolfram did the alien language for Arrival.

bQ2shtEvnCkKVQawiNKs3d-650-80.jpg

Very cool.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Does an infinite universe not throw up problems about there being an infinite number of ourselves with an infinite amount of time to meet?

I guess that isnt a mathematical problem...just seems to be ludicrous.

Where it does matter is it breaking entropy. If something is unlikely (eg atoms assembling into something like a lampshade at random)...then surely in an infinite universe its happening all the time?

Dealing with infinity in maths isnt a problem. Its quite a practical thing for limits. There are lots of examples of it being encapsulated in simple stuff like there being an infinite number of values between 1 and 2.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Is there anywhere to watch those videos without them being hidden in American news programmes?

Edit: there are gifs further down the post, they will do.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    have at it hair

Comfortably numb at the mo, but the Pentagon don't know what they are, which is all we need to know.

Edit: The 2017 New York Times article here

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/unidentified-flying-object-navy.html
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    One of the many questions, why there's not a single photo of a 40ft tick tac shaped craft in any of the world's military inventories 16 years later?
  • Because they are all in the space force and not the air force.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yes. Inner or outer is another question.
  • One of the many questions, why there's not a single photo of a 40ft tick tac shaped craft in any of the world's military inventories 16 years later?

It could be a very very black programme, that goes back along time ie 60-70 years etc.

This first link is long but a good read

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a30916275/government-secret-ufo-program-investigation/

The second link discusses the 38 really out there scientific topics that were written up as papers by BAASS for ATTIP. By really out there i mean really out there. I like the title for paper 36: "aneutronic fusion propulsion". What the feck is that?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26056/heres-the-list-of-studies-the-militarys-secretive-ufo-program-funded-some-were-junk

Anyway both Popular Mechanics and TheDrive think there is some very very very very black programme going on. Hence why 40ft tic tac craft arent in any worlds military inventories. But there are anecdotal stories of people high up being shown these craft behind closed doors in displays not open to the public. If i can find the link I will post. Its a good story regardless of if you believe the guy or not.
  • Wouldn’t 40ft tic tacs be very good at showing up on enemy radar? Especially if they were gay?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • How many calories in a 40ft tic-tac?
  • How many hours of freshness?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message

yo6FWWk.gif

A forty foot tick-tac is a hard thing to swallow, but that's quite an article published by Popular Mechanics and bit of an eye opener to US government involvement in UFO organisations and their studies. Cheers for the links Dino.

Though it's not going to change anyone's mind if it's closed to this topic.

As the saying went 'The truth is out there' - well it is now.

K1P8NUo.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Did anyone else read that article Dino posted a few days ago, about a year long investigation in 'Popular Mechanics'?
  • I'm in week eight of the lockdown, but I'm not that bored yet. *winkysmiley*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I gave it a go but like most of these things it just bangs on about different wings of gov for too long. I always feel like they are trying to bamboozle me with acronyms so I think it has legitimacy.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Once you have a mental shorthand for them it's easier.
    We're used to RSPCA and NSPCC because of familiarity.

Edit: I'd just like to add, I'm not THAT familiar with those examples.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Was going to post this last summer but there was enough meat on the 2004 Nimitz encounter.

This Lieutenant was part of another exercise shown in two of the videos the Pentagon recently confirmed were not fake.

• Was going to post this last summer but there was enough meat on the 2004 Nimitz encounter.

This Lieutenant was part of another exercise shown in two of the videos the Pentagon recently confirmed were not fake.

Nice post. Not seen that video before. The fighter pilot being a aeronautics engineer as well add some credibility to him. Especially when he says the gimbal video object isnt how conventional aircraft work.

The cube shape object that flew between two fighter jets will provike borg jokes I'm sure.

Interesting as the popular mechanics article said the navy are normally the most secretive of the three armes forces but they seem to allowing fighter pilots to go on record over these strange encounters. Maybe its as simple as they want increased funding or they have an angle for promoting the current narrative.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    The fighter pilot being a aeronautics engineer as well add some credibility to him. Especially when he says the gimbal video object isn't how conventional aircraft work

It's how Bob Lazar describes the craft he allegedly was helping reverse engineer. Weird he says how it could fly in 1989 and the 'Gimble' US Navy footage was 2015.

Fast forward to 15:31

• Dinostar77 wrote:
    The fighter pilot being a aeronautics engineer as well add some credibility to him. Especially when he says the gimbal video object isn't how conventional aircraft work

It's how Bob Lazar describes the craft he allegedly was helping reverse engineer. Weird he says how it could fly in 1989 and the 'Gimble' US Navy footage was 2015.

Fast forward to 15:31

Yes, its bizarre that the delta configuration he mentioned is what the uap in the gimbal is doing. That could suggest its some secret usa black project shit. Who knows. Interesting though.

Going away from gimbal video and postulating that not all uap stuff can be nailed down to the mast of one theory, Luiz Elizondo who ran AATIP said something intetesting. He thinks the answer to the phenomena may lie " in the nexus between consciousness and quantum mechanics".

If you discount the uap stuff that is usa made secret planes/drones or back engineered whatever etc. Then most of the people who spend their time looking at this stuff for a living seem to come to the same conclusion, consciousness is somehow involved in the phenomena but no-one is sure how or why.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!