GOTY 2012 - The Walking Dead
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I've played about 8-12 hours of XCOM now and I wouldn't even be happy to pass cursory judgement on it.
    That's a pretty daft thing to say, Tempy.

No it isn't, I hadn't seen enough of the game. It's not a short campaign, it's only just started to get its hooks in me today as there is a fair amount of tactical depth.
  • Don't worry, X-Com cannot be GOTY material unless people are saying that the simplified spiritual successor to an 18 year old game was the best thing that happened in games this year.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Who gives a fuck how similar it is or not to such an old game? They're both good in their own right.
  • It totally can be.
  • That's bananas. 10 Hours is enough time to decide whether you think a game is decent or not.
  • Clearly, for me and XCOM it wasn't.

Unless you just think I said it for shits and giggles, instead of actually saying it because I played it and couldn't decide whether I liked it and it took a few games (5 in fact) before restarting on Normal without Ironman and getting a feel for the combat that I actually thought "hey I actually do quite like this instead of being undecided" 

But no I was just bulshitting for no reason, obviously.
  • If the X-Com remake was like comparing Mario 64 to Mario Bros, I would agree.

However the X-Com remake is actually like taking Mario 64 and 18 years later releasing Mario Bros.

The original is 3 quid on steam, seriously, if you have never played it, go and play it. X-Com is a good game, but to say it's GOTY is a pretty damning indictment on this years crop of games.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    If the X-Com remake was like comparing Mario 64 to Mario Bros, I would agree. However the X-Com remake is actually like taking Mario 64 and 18 years later releasing Mario Bros. The original is 3 quid on steam, seriously, if you have never played it, go and play it. X-Com is a good game, but to say it's GOTY is a pretty damning indictment on this years crop of games.

Or y'know, people might just really enjoy it.

Haha, imagine that? Choosing a game as your favourite because you enjoy it! What a load of horseshit!
  • Roujin wrote:
    If the X-Com remake was like comparing Mario 64 to Mario Bros, I would agree. However the X-Com remake is actually like taking Mario 64 and 18 years later releasing Mario Bros. The original is 3 quid on steam, seriously, if you have never played it, go and play it. X-Com is a good game, but to say it's GOTY is a pretty damning indictment on this years crop of games.

Crazy. How do comparisons to the old one have anyhing to do with how people rate XCOM against the rest of this year's releases.

You prefer the original.. play that then. Your liking it has no bearing on how good this new XCOM game is, which as far as I'm aware you haven't played.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'm sure XCOM is getting all those plaudits because it's a step-back developmentally.

Honestly.
  • Tempy, if you said that you wouldn't be comfortable reviewing it or putting it in a top 5, that's one thing.  However, your claim that you, "wouldn't even be happy to pass cursory judgement on it," is daft, there's no two ways about it.
  • No, because I just explained why above. Thanks!
  • Tempy, mate, I'm sorry but that doesn't wash.  I get the point you're trying to make, but stop.

Edited for repeating myself.
  • I'm talking about XCOM here, not any other game. You want to tell me what's going on in my head, be my guest. I'm sure you know better than me.
  • It takes a while to click adkm. I didn't get it for the first 5 tries. Bear in mind that every move you make affects overall progress which can be lost at any point. In a 20 hour campaign, you might have to restart 15 hours in. That's the nature of it. It's highly rewarding in the long run, but has many sticking points for the uninitiated, or those of us like me that havn't played an xcom game since I was 10, or whatever.

Sure, you can get an understanding of it thrashing around guessing at stuff, but till you contiously know the ramifications of the big decisions you have to make I can understand the right to reserve judgement.
  • Yes, you're talking about Xcom, which you raised in a discussion of gauging games on demos or brief plays.  But 1) the notion that somebody could not pass cursory judgement on anything after 8-12 hours is silly, and 2) you are passing judgement on it in this thread.  It was ridiculous hyperbole.  Unleashing Angry Tempy won't fix that.
  • I'm not angry, other than being a bit annoyed that I'm being told what I can and can't think. You're clearly focusing too deeply on my use of the word 'cursory' which I probably shouldn't have used in the context that I was quoting Oli with. If that word was removed would you be happy enough?

Edit: because I can see how using that in the most exact sense would be incorrect.
  • If you change or remove the key part of your point, I'll be happier, yes.
  • Well that does sort of define the whole thing you were talking about. Otherwise its just judgement which implies finality and the meaning is completely changed.
    Edit: Beaten to it.
  • Right. I'd be happy to say that XCOM was a sound looking strategy game 'on cursory review' but I wouldn't be happy to pass any sort of judgement on it until the time that I did, because before I got into it I found it annoying and a little obfuscating, now I am enjoying it, some considerable time into it and would be happy to give a more detailed opinion of it.

Fucking hell. fuck this joint for the day. 

Never again shall I fucking lazily is the first word that comes to me. Christ.
  • Throw a strop if you like, Tempy, but in a place where we discuss things with the written words alone, it's important to get them right.  You're not in the way of 'lazily' throwing in the first word that completely changes the point you're making.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Who really gives a shit?

'ridiculous hyperbole'? Why get so heffed up at merely a passing comment?

Oh, right, yeah I see.
  • I am when I'm on a bus with poor signal on my way to Uni. You could, after my explanation, have maybe understood where I was getting from instead of homing in on one ill used word, but you didn't.
  • Who really gives a shit?

This is vitally important man!
    Get the tape measure, think we might have another dick measuring competition on our hands.
  • Dick measuring?

*runs away*
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The forum is my GOTY
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Best plots/drama eva

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!