Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I did like what I played of it fella, but I'm not putting something in a GotY thread that I've barely scratched the surface of. I've just finished Costume Quest and the DLC (2011?) and am just moving onto Stacking. I think Fez will probably be after that.

Mark of the Ninja is 1,200 and I'm steering clear of titles that expensive at the moment. You only need to read the preceding paragraph to see why.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Whereas this hasn't been a classic year yet again there are some good games making even picking a Top 3 a difficult decision.

I've got a feeling that there are still games to be released that could make my final 3...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yesterday on the bus to and from Glasgow I played a game I completely forgot about that I think HAS TO BE on my list. HAS TO.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I still don't think it's fair I do mine till the other big releases this year are out. But Xcom will probably be top regardless.

This has been quite a great year for games.
  • I've played not a single title from Plornt's list.
  • I don't think anyone is admonishing for lack of time or money of folks who can't get around to new games, more that acknowledging a lack of sufficient experience to deem this year objectively shit, as there have been a fair amount of rather good games. You can't judge a game's worth on a demo, any more than you judge a film on one scene or a book on a chapter. To think so, I feel, is fairly demented. RE6 had a terrible demo but is probably my favourite game this year, even though Mass Effect 3 was about as good as it gets for me as it regards story, sci-fi and beautiful worlds to explore. Max Payne I also really enjoyed as an older feeling more challenging combat bit. Dishonoured hasn't fully gotten there for me but it probably will. If we're going by default of what we have played and enjoyed more than we haven't, well that's an easy list. If we're attempting to reach a legitimate overview then playing more than five games is required, but if we're just trying to please ourselves - which is really the only sensible way to approach ought - then I figure it's been a good year.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Judging whether or not you like a game based on playing it? Demented.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Judging whether or not you like a game based on playing it? Demented.
    Not as demented as it would first appear from what has been levelled at me in the past.
  • Sleeping Dogs for me.  Superb game.

Although I am yet to try Dishonoured - will check it out when I've finished SD.
  • Judging whether or not you like a game based on playing it? Demented.
    Feeling you can judge a whole from a small part is a bit strange. Why bother finish anything if that's the case?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You're talking out of your cake hole Chet. What do you think a demo is for? 

Are you saying that you buy the games of every demo you play, even if you dislike what you've played, just to complete it and know for sure that you didn't like it? That's demented.
  • No, I'm saying if you want to judge its worth as a game, playing a very small section is not adequate. If this were not the case, then good demos would equal good games, good trailers would equal good movies, good excerpts would equal good novels. Which is plainly not the case. If you want to judge something as a whole or how it stands objectively or as close as possible to other games of the year then the game should be played through, not the demo. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

Would you be happy with reading a review that was based solely on the demo?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I really liked the demo of Limbo, it turns out that it was the best bit of the game. On the flipside it has been suggested that the demo of Resi 6 (and Forza to some extent) isn't a true representation of the finished article by any means.

I'd rather listen to you lot than trust any demo or review though!

With regard to GotY though I do agree with Chet, surely only those that have played the complete game can really cast an educated vote.

Case in point for me would be Far Cry, a brilliant game completely ruined by the arrival (and a fair way into the game at that) of the monsters.
  • Crytek repeatedly that bollocks with Crysis. Great game ruined by some fucking stupid alien bullshit with crap levels at the end. Not gonna stop me going back and checking out Far Cry, though. At least I know roughly what to expect.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Also, Uncharted have done this. Unneccisary supernatural plot twist. I know the Indiana Jones movies have that element to them and Uncharted uses them as templates, but the games didn't need it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Also, Uncharted have done this. Unneccisary supernatural plot twist. I know the Indiana Jones movies have that element to them and Uncharted uses them as templates, but the games didn't need it.
    At least they were based on some form of reality this time, trippin' your tits off, but I'm with you. They were the worst part of the game...

...again.
  • I'm not convinced I've actually bought a game this year...and yet I feel like I've missed nothing.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    I wouldnt say you missed nothing g.man but if ever there was a year to take a break from new releases and dig into your back catalogue this was it.
    Saying that the late arrivals of Dishonored, X-com and Miami Hotline are making this a far better year than expected.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Also, Uncharted have done this. Unneccisary supernatural plot twist. I know the Indiana Jones movies have that element to them and Uncharted uses them as templates, but the games didn't need it.
    At least they were based on some form of reality this time, trippin' your tits off, but I'm with you. They were the worst part of the game... ...again.

At least in UC2 they half poke fun at proceedings by having fake yetis.

Yes the guys wearing the costumes were giant, purple skinned immortals but shut up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'm not convinced I've actually bought a game this year...and yet I feel like I've missed nothing.

regards

g.man

While you may not have missed true... Innovation or wotevs, you did miss devs iterating on current templates to refine them masterfully.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Chet
    I'm not using a demo to write a review, so I don't see your point. I'm using it to decide whether the full game is worth my time and money, which is the intended use for demos, trailers, the blurb on the back of a book, the snippets of songs on iTunes etc. 

I don't think there are any in here daft enough to put a game in their top five of the year based on a demo, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. 

I'm also confused as to how you think I'd be unable to judge a games worth to me based on the demo and what I already know about my particular taste in games. How much of a shit sandwich would you have to eat before you realised it was disgusting?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Leave the crust though, it makes your hair curly...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    If you want to judge something as a whole or how it stands objectively or as close as possible to other games of the year then the game should be played through, not the demo. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

It is obvious, and unless I've missed it I haven't seen anyone say "I only played the demo of X but it's my game of the year"
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Crytek repeatedly that bollocks with Crysis. Great game ruined by some fucking stupid alien bullshit with crap levels at the end. Not gonna stop me going back and checking out Far Cry, though. At least I know roughly what to expect.
    It was a fantastic game, for me it was the first true taste of what was to come on the consoles. Fantastic multiplayer riding the back of a brilliant (up to a point) campaign.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    If you want to judge something as a whole or how it stands objectively or as close as possible to other games of the year then the game should be played through, not the demo. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

It is obvious, and unless I've missed it I haven't seen anyone say "I only played the demo of X but it's my game of the year"

But plenty of people have done the opposite, and no one finds it odd in the slightest.

I can't imagine judging my purchase of a game on its demo, they're nearly always too short or poorly represent the full content. I nearly always enjoy them because I'm playing something, but if I'd played the XCOM demo blind to anything on here, i'd not have thought 'oh god this is amazing/awful' it was barely an entity to critique.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I saw plornt say that B2 was one of his GotY's despite only reaching a low level. I know you can tell if a game's going to be good pretty early on, but less than a quarter of the way into it?
  • I've played about 8-12 hours of XCOM now and I wouldn't even be happy to pass cursory judgement on it.
  • I think some people here need to credit others with a bit more intelligence.  I doubt there's anybody here that would play a demo and not know, from various factors, whether or not they'll like the game, and not just based on an over-simplified good demo = good game equation.  I've played demos of games that I've really enjoyed but known that the demo has given me my fill, and the full game would be a waste of pennies.  Equally I've played demos that have frustrated but I've seen something in it that I know will intrigue me in the full title.  We aren't dribbling idiots who can only judge a demo in and of itself.  We know our own tastes, and that covers a wide range of factors.  Games have an advantage over books and movies in that its easier to enjoy one even if other factors fall short.  A movie with a shit script or shit acting is hard to enjoy no matter how good the explosions are, but a game with a great mechanic can fall short in those areas.

So, try to understand that your fellow forumites can think for themselves and don't need you to tell them whether or not they can judge how much they'll enjoy something.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I've played about 8-12 hours of XCOM now and I wouldn't even be happy to pass cursory judgement on it.
    That's a pretty daft thing to say, Tempy.
  • I never bother with demos. 1-2 gb takes far to bloody long to download over live. if I like the look of a game and there's been good chat about it then I'll tend to buy it or put on the list for "games to get when super cheap"

need to think of my list now I think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!