GOTY 2012 - The Walking Dead
  • Pretty sure Raiziel was just saying that Journey is obviously his GOTY. It could also end up being the unequivocal forum GOTY, as per thread intention.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Fez. Probably Fez. Nothing has felt like such a complete package this year. Although 2012 has probably been my quiet gaming year in a very long time. All I can remember playing was Fez, Mineraft, Trials and Borderlands. A bunch of other 10 hour affairs, but nothing has stood in my mind as much as Fez has.

In fact, I bloody reviewed the thing, which is something I never do.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Pretty sure Raiziel was just saying that Journey is obviously his GOTY. It could also end up being the unequivocal forum GOTY, as per thread intention.

Exactly.  I'm not interested in telling anyone else what the game of the year should be, but Journey for me is a no-brainer for my game of the year.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    XCOM, Minecraft, Trials Evolution and Witcher 2 are up there. Dishonoured and Halo should break in there too hopefully, meaning one of my original four will have to make way. 

There's still plenty of stuff I've not played yet though, like Sleeping Dogs and Spec Ops, and I probably won't play them until next year.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    As much as I loved Journey I don't think I could justify calling a 2 hour game that doesn't really have replay value GOTY. It seems like cheating. If we're picking game that I think everyone (gamer or not) should have played this year then Journey would be the clear winner.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Pretty sure Raiziel was just saying that Journey is obviously his GOTY. It could also end up being the unequivocal forum GOTY, as per thread intention.
    Exactly.  I'm not interested in telling anyone else what the game of the year should be, but Journey for me is a no-brainer for my game of the year.

I read it wrong then, that's just how I saw it. No bother!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Mwah!
    Get schwifty.
  • I have bought no 2012 games. None. !.

Okami HD could be G of the Y but it's not really new so it can't be. So.
  • 1. Trials Evolution

2. Fez
    3. Mark of the Ninja (admittedly I'm basing this opinion on an amazing demo, so it's a bit of a guess)
    4. Beat The Beat
    5. Journey

Halo 4 and Power of Illusion will hopefully make the final list.  Very retail games have done it for me this year, to the point where I'm struggling to think of any, other than Beat The Beat (and the opening few hours of Mass Effect 3), that I've played.  Honourable mention to Dust: An Elysian Tail, and NiGHTS HD would have been way up the list had I included remakes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That gap.

Moot, my man.
  • hylian_elf wrote:

All these years I've been thinking Rai was female.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • That gap. Moot, my man.

I was going to say 'head and shoulders' ahead of the rest, but that would be doing it a disservice.  It's head, shoulders, knees and the top half of the toes ahead of the rest.
  • I'd forgotten about Journey. It was fantastic.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    RasDam wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    All these years I've been thinking Rai was female.

Sorry to disappoint you, old boy!
    Get schwifty.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    What I 'played' of it Journey would probably be right at the bottom, not anywhere near the top.
  • Played cack-all that was out this year. List in entirety is Journey, JSR HD (which ain't new so bah), Tokyo Jungle, plus Super Hexagon and NSS if you're after iOS inclusion. Some list huh.
  • @Oli: that's what I thought. I promptly ejected the disc, chucked the album in the bin, and played the PS3 game instead. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My 2nd place for GOTY is probably Super Hexagon but that top space is reserved for NFS: MW. 
    Reckon Dishonoured and XCOM will be in with a shout when I get my hands on them.
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Quite impressive that a forum full of gamers are struggling to pick 5 decent games released this year.
  • I think that's an awesome list Kaz.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Quite impressive that a forum full of gamers are struggling to pick 5 decent games released this year.

Blands 2 would be the only other addition to my list, if not for my much documented issues with it.
  • Nick wrote:
    I think that's an awesome list Kaz.

It's mostly my own finances holding me back to be fair. Would dearly love to have tried Sleeping Dogs, Dishonoured, Blands 2 et al, but I'd also dearly love to be able to eat.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Quite impressive that a forum full of gamers are struggling to pick 5 decent games released this year.

By "impressive" you of course mean "utterly depressing".
    Noticed no one has said they can't make their list til the new COD is out. Is this the final nail in the coffin?
  • I'm sure it'll be a mechanically sound shooter and snap all the 7s that Resi 6 deserved.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It'll get an edge 8.
  • The launch weekend is double XP AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • GOTTA GET TO PRESTIGE SO I CAN LOSE ALL MY GUNS AND START OVER WITH A DIFFERENT BADGE OH YES
  • So far this year, my votes has to go like this:

5. FEZ
    A marvellous game that challenges you to think and see things in new ways. A superb puzzle game with some brilliant mechanics and visuals. Loved every bit of it to pieces.

4. FIFA 13
    My favourite sports game. Ever. Already managed to play 100+ games online, and I haven't gone tired yet. Nor do I see myself doing so. It's the best football game ever made, and pretty darn close to perfection if you ask me.

3. Borderlands 2
    Still haven't finished it (that would be FIFA's fault), but I started a new game this weekend, and played my new character up to 16 or so. Love everything about the game, from the loot, to the guns, to the humour and characters. And the co-op. Let's not forget the co-op.

2. Trials Evolution
    There are not many games this year where I have spent more than one day in real life in a game, but with this beauty I have. Came late to the party, and haven't looked back since. Played the hell out of the main game, and the DLC will probably get alot of playtime as well in the coming months.

1. Mass Effect 3
    I don't care what people say about the end. I love this game. Played through it twice, and even though the ending might not be up with the rest of the game, the journey to get to the end is nothing short of fan-fucking-tastic. The story, the choices, the gameplay, the universe... Pretty much everything in this game is top stuff. If there has been a [10] game this year, this is the only candidate.

P.S. I am saving at least one or two spots for Hitman: Absolution, Halo 4 or any other hidden gem in the holiday season.
  • Dragon's Dogma and Everybody's Golf Vita spring to mind.  Currently playing Borderlands 2 and I also want to try XCom.  Is Pinball Arcade this year?
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • My top three so far this year are:

Dragon's Dogma
    Crusader Kings 2
    Binary Domain

I see nothing on the release schedule which threatens to dislodge these three gems.

Edit: Unless Chun Soft decided to translate and release Shiren the Wanderer 2, 4 and 5 into English and release them in Europe...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!