The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last Jedi was bad, I have no desire to watch it again. It felt really contrived - the script was a mess.

But. Rogue 1 was better than I remember. But then I thought it was OK the first time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I need to watch Rogue One again. I was disappointed when I first watched it. Apart from the robot and Tarkin scene. The Darth scene was the most terrible attempt at adding tension, it was comical. The director definitely needs to watch some Spielberg.
  • I watched it again the other night as well.
    The thing that bothered me most was the instance on putting the Force in there. Or perhaps a weakness to do a film without it.

Thank god for Favreau.
  • Did anyone see the BBC4 documentary last night on the making of a ANH? It focused on the creation of the props, everything from the Cantina being made out of old aeroplane parts to Luke's light saber created from camera junk.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I can't quite bring myself to watch all of Rogue One again. I was disappointed first watch, and agree that putting the force in was wrong, and think they tried to link it to ANH too much.
    I've tried watching it again but it just bores me. Plus it feels like the whole thing is basically grey.

you can see the turmoil in the process of making it, and by bringing in new people to finish it differently, it's neither one thing or the other.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Cheers, will dig it out, because Peterson et al's model-/prop-making is proper legendary. Love hearing about the kitbashing and greeblies - e.g:

• Ive not seen R1 since launch. Might try again soon. Making Chirrut force sensitive was fine but having him constantly do that stupid mantra made me want him dead.And quickly.

There were some lovely visuals but the stand out for me was the desert planet place with the huge jedi statues. Thought that looked so cool.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • The fight with the Red Guards was good too.
  • I really liked Rogue 1. The whole force thing seemed appropriate - like the evolution of a religion after the fall of the Jedi.

Don't know what to think about ep9, though. All of my favourite series - books, movies, whatever - have a strong narrative thread. Basically, if the writer doesn't know where they're going from day one, then I have trouble with it because I like a bigger picture.

It's why GoT felt like a meandering mess to me - it was fun, but it was all being done off the hoof. Lucas got it right with eps 1 to 6 but without a roadmap, the last 3 just feel pointless. JJ throwing random ideas and mixing in nostalgia just mens that we've got a product that can't tell if it's a sequel or a reboot.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • i view 7 and 8 as very clearly remakes, but disguised as sequels. i suspect this last one is going to be a big messy do-over, almost a new trilogy squished into one and mostly ignoring 7 and 8 except for the characters they left us with. it might still be a fun film in the end in isolation, but i don't see how it will nicely wrap up the narrative of this trilogy or indeed the whole 9 eps.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    7 felt very New Hope and was OK.

8 I suppose was to be like ESB but it was a bit of a mess. Too much stuff thrown in for no good reason.
  • Harrison Ford knew exactly what he was doing.

One movie only, his character must die, % of gross.
  • For me in order of likenessness, it's the original trilogy then R1, followed by 7 & 8.

1-3 don't exist, I don't know what you are talking about.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Right there with you Panty, but 7-9 could probably do one too.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I didn't mind Solo.
  • I was amazed at hearing the JJ set the story up in 7 and then it was up to my old buddy Rian Johnson to run with it. Batshit! bad as they were, at least 1-3 had an overall arc. My usual TLJ bashing aside, that movie did nothing but undo the plot points and characters sets up in 7. Instead of adding to the star wars universe it took from it.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I preferred 7 to R1.

4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 3 > R1 > 2 > 1 with question marks at the tail end of that cos o daren't rewatch, and no solo cos I've not seen it yet
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Revenge of the Sith better than Rogue One. Blimey.

Episode 3 in a bite sized five minutes
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Harrison Ford knew exactly what he was doing. One movie only, his character must die, % of gross.
    No-one's ever really gone...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    On this darkest of days friends, let us at least rejoice that The Nerd Crew are back to sooth our ire.

Finally got round to watching this last night. Every episode they get more and more accurate at skewering shitty fan/shill podcasts.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @rouj i too only got around to watching nerd crew yesterday, but it was good fun.

i find it hard trying to compare and rank the prequels with the newer films. the newer ones are all generally better 'made', but also more frustrating - i think cos they're trying to be all things to all people, there are some good moments or ideas but then an awful lot of 'i wish they didn't do that there/did something else there'. The prequels are just grandiose shite but at least it's sort of a consistent experience all the way through. I know others seem to think they improved with each ep but for me they just dug further down into the mire...Ep 1 is the only i can say i got an enjoyment from, even if only fuelled by hype for the launch at the time.
    For my ranking....
    4>5>6>7>1...then ignore 2,3 and 8. i sort of partition R1 and Solo separately - they're not as bad or 'upsetting' as 2 3 or 8, but neither do i think they're good enough to include in the mainline.
  • Any time someone mentions star war at least one other person has to list their order.

For example:

4>8>5>7>6>2>3>1

I think the direct correlation for is broadly leias contribution to those films.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I do wish the prequels didn't exist.

One prequel would have been enough summing up eps1 - 3 showing the downfall. Two at a stretch. Clone Wars pt1 and pt2 maybe?

Eps. 7 onward have been worse. - Completely redundant.

Much of Eps 1-3 content is redundant but the story arc isn't.

Bringing the emperor back in 9 completely undoes the whole damn thing - taking away the whole point of Anakin Skywalker's redemption storyline.
  • Uh this seems to be struggling to reach even fresh on rotten tomatoes (ie less than sixty percent think its a 3/5 film)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'll do my usual and wait to the crowds die down and buy my ticket. But I'm finished with this mess.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Uh this seems to be struggling to reach even fresh on rotten tomatoes (ie less than sixty percent think its a 3/5 film)

Rotten tomatoes rating for a film franchise with such rabid fans is pretty pointless.

• Predicto, it's a hot mess. I will laugh my tits off if the predicted macguffin is indeed in the film.

I will also go see it at the cinema so I guess jokes on me to some degree, but I also want to support my local picturehouse so looks like Mickey has me by the balls.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Uh this seems to be struggling to reach even fresh on rotten tomatoes (ie less than sixty percent think its a 3/5 film)

Rotten tomatoes rating for a film franchise with such rabid fans is pretty pointless.

But they’d be critics who get on first.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ah right, I'm surprised they bothered with press screenings.
  • I'll no doubt end up going to see the film just out of curiosity, i don't think i'll be able to wait until the home release to see how it all pans out regardless of the positive/negative reception, plus my daughter kind of wants to see it. However will wait until after chrimbo - petty as it is i don't really want to contribute towards a 'hugely successful opening week' (again) for a series of films I'm disappointed in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!