Childs Play 2012 - Total raised £2,000. I love you all.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I think I just rang them. Sometimes the Wish List has a contact.
  • I'd probably just ring the switchboard and ask them - 0114 271 7000

That said it looks like the Childrens Hospital has its own charity arm as well, who might be able to help.  They're on 0114 271 7203, or email on [email protected]
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    How do I donate?
    The janitor.
  • PayPal to Dante.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Sorry I was tardy with the donation this year chaps - suitably rectified.

Looking like another good total - well done Dante.
  • Pretty close to a grand bow which would be a superb achievement.

We've now cracked it. I love you all. Will give the hospital a call this week and see if they have priorities on anything.
  • Wow!
    Well done everyone, that is a shit ton of money considering the amount of formites.

We've now cracked it. I love you all. Will give the hospital a call this week and see if they have priorities on anything.

They seem to want ten kinects so I suspect that is one!!!

• Just donated there, let me know if it goes through ok. Props to you Dante, and to everyone else on the forum who's given money for this.
  • They also want about 50 DS's!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have money in my UK bank account again so I've just made a donation.

This is, shamefully, and for a variety of reasons that really aren't good enough, the first time I have ever donated to an Edge/B&B charity thing. The stuff that some of you guys do for charity is truly amazing, and I apologise for never having supported any of your efforts in the past.

I shall try to be a better person from this moment on.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ho shit - over a grand and there only are about 8 of us on this forum.

Well done :)
  • Genuinely impressed with the lot of you.

If there's anyone who hasn't donated anything yet, can I make a polite plea to do so?  I know that barring a lucky few, most of us have very little cash this time round, but I promise you it's money well spent.

I used to work on a Children's Ward - and despite the efforts of families and staff, it's a scary place to be when you're a child.  It's also, truth be told, unbelievably boring as well.  On the ward I worked on there were pretty much two things in constant demand - DVDs, and videogames.  Games particularly are amazing for helping you escape from the realities of the world you're stuck in (as you all know very well).  They can also be surprisingly effective at distracting you from pain and discomfort.  It may seem trivial, but they're massively beneficial when it comes to making a hospital stay more bearable for sick kids.

So, I've sat and watched it at a comfortable distance as a paediatrician, and seen its benefit.  I also spent Christmas 2010 in a Children's Ward with my own (then 6 year old) daughter.  The distance was considerably less comfortable, but I was so much more grateful for the benefits.  Games helped distract her when they were putting needles in her arm, they helped keep her entertained when sitting in a room full of pale looking children was beginning to get tiresome, and if I'm honest, gave me some welcome respite as well.

For those who've donated already, from someone who knows exactly what you've given, thank you.
  • Due to me being an absolute curmudgeon I never donate to charity but you bastards have melted my heart. I've had two kids in hospital for short spells and this kind of stuff is a godsend so thanks tin for making it real and forcing me to break the seal on my dusty wallet and big thanks to Dante for organising.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    They can also be surprisingly effective at distracting you from pain and discomfort.  It may seem trivial, but they're massively beneficial when it comes to making a hospital stay more bearable for sick kids.

I had my eyelid bitten off by the family dog as a youngster (small potatoes compared to many kids, but my only hospital stay).  They had Trap Door on VHS and the kid in the bed next to me had a Game Gear with an AC adaptor and Shinobi.  Both made those few days far more bearable.
  • When is the cut off point for donations? I'm going to try and wait until I get paid (14th December) is possible, otherwise I can donate earlier...
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Iirc the 16th is the cutoff
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I loved being on a children's ward, but then I knew all the nurses by name and I could take my Mega Drive in and I got McDonalds whenever I wanted it. Helps spending pretty much what equates to a full year in total on 'em.
  • n0face wrote:
    Due to me being an absolute curmudgeon I never donate to charity but you bastards have melted my heart. I've had two kids in hospital for short spells and this kind of stuff is a godsend so thanks tin for making it real and forcing me to break the seal on my dusty wallet and big thanks to Dante for organising.

Good man!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    Due to me being an absolute curmudgeon I never donate to charity but you bastards have melted my heart. I've had two kids in hospital for short spells and this kind of stuff is a godsend so thanks tin for making it real and forcing me to break the seal on my dusty wallet and big thanks to Dante for organising.

Just to underline this. Having done it once I can tell you it's a rather large stress keeping a track of money coming in, who donated so they can be credited, getting panicky about having over £1000 on your PayPal balance. And that's before trying to work out what to buy. And I had much more free time than Dante does.

So yes, massive thanks to Dante and for any fence sitters, I don't want to badger (ho ho) or guilt anyone into donating, but Dante is going through a lot of arse to do this so if he can do that you can chip in a couple of quid.
  • OK, I'm off Wednesday, but it's a staff night out tomorrow, so it will probably be Wed afternoon that I'll give them a ring. I'll let you know what the outcome of that is.

The cutoff is the 16th, to give time for the funds to clear.

Cheers to the lads who just donated today, I recieved it fine.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I hope to sort mine out soon.
  • I will be a late donater, but I will donate.
  • @Dante Just a note. Be careful that all these money transfers do not 'limit' your account and lock it down (due to Money Laundering controls that paypal will have in place). I imagine it'll be a nightmare to unlock around Xmas time (and the hassle providing Evidence of Identity documentation is probably something you don't need).

The limit is £1,600 per year if you have not fully verified the account (if you haven't there will be a 'Lift Limits' link somewhere on the My Account page).
  • Dante - PS1 games sales contributions sent plus my personal token separately.

The following PS1 games are still up for grabs, whatever people deem a fair price.

Ace Combat 2
    Bomberman
    Bubble Bobble
    Bust-A-Move 2
    Colin McRae Rally 2.0
    Colony Wars Vengence
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Metal Gear Solid (Platinum version with Special Missions disc)
    MTV Snowboarding
    Quake II
    Soul Blade
    Spider-Man
    Star Wars - Demolition
    Syphon Filter
    Syphon Filter 2 (2 discs, disc 2 has a semi-circle blemish but looks light - no manual)
    Tomb Raider 3
    V-Rally 2
    Wipeout 2097
    Worms Armageddon (has some tape attached to the disc hole but looks fine)

Also have promo copies of Killzone and Jak 3 for the PS2, no manuals, come in a CD case.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Will donate something tomorrow, need to check first what's left after I've paid all the other things.

Might order the book from last year again, mine seemed to have vanished before I even had a chance to actually take a look. Is it possible to buy the print version now via amazon?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just sent some dosh over mate - nice one sorting this, glad to be involved for once having been an abject failure in previous years.
  • Donation sent today Dante.
  • @Dante Just a note. Be careful that all these money transfers do not 'limit' your account and lock it down (due to Money Laundering controls that paypal will have in place). I imagine it'll be a nightmare to unlock around Xmas time (and the hassle providing Evidence of Identity documentation is probably something you don't need). The limit is £1,600 per year if you have not fully verified the account (if you haven't there will be a 'Lift Limits' link somewhere on the My Account page).

My account is verified. I take it this means I'm not subject to any limits?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!