Xbox Live Hits 10
  • First Achievement?
    Cluster Buster on Hexic HD for getting 25 combos on Christmas day 2006

Best individual moment online?
    As seems to be the case for several people, close fought games in BFBC2 are high on the list.

Worst
    Because I'd played Burnout 3 online on the oldbox I had some sort of out of date ea account which prevented me playing BF 1943 for approx the first 6 weeks after I'd bought it. EA seemed unconcerned that I'd paid for a game I couldn't play. A welsh guy on PGR3 told me the solution to the issue which oddly enough was to play the Lord of the rings online demo. After that it just worked!

How long have you been a member?
    Just looked and I joined in Feb 2004! Nearly nine years!
    Xbox/PS3/Wii U: Enragedwhale
  • First Achievement: Finishing Alpine Village terrorist hunt with only one other person on Rainbow Six 3, highest difficulty. I didn't need gamerpoints to validate that one.
    Best Moment: Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. Versus Mode. Vertigo Plaza. Extraction. Reached the drop off point with one second remaining after a mad rush to pick up the canister in a room patrolled by two angry mercs. 
    Worst Moment: People who I used to count as friends showing their true colours.
    How long: Since Feb 2004. Cancelled it earlier this year.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    How so?
  • Webbins wrote:
    Happy Birthday Live.

Thank you but you are 6 months and a day early and this is the wrong thread.
  • First Achievement: Something on COD4 or Oblivion as they were my first 2 games.

Best Moment: Maxing out Oblivion to hit the 100,000 gamerscore mark. Then (belatedly) realising what an utter waste of time my achievement hunting had been. Now don't bother looking at achievements, which has been liberating. Unless it's a game I love and want that old school completionist feel of doing everything in a game and maxing it out.
    Other best moments are the 30 days (!) I spent on COD4 MP, maxing Peggle out or playing Once Upon a Monster with my son.

Worst Moment: When my HD died about a week before the Cloud went live, meaning I lost my save data for loads of games, inc Fallout, Oblivion etc.

How long: 8 years. Gulp.
  • n0face wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    How so?

Wasn't anything on xbl, just their general attitude on forums. Harassment, sectarianism along console fanboy lines, exclusion of anyone not towing their official line. Was pretty much an insular Australian forum with a decade long history of trolling and hostility.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Due to geographical constraints I didn't have my box connected to the Internet for the most part of 2007-2009, and RROD meant I lost all my hard work fom that period (didn't realise I had to take the hdd out before sending back). So:

First achievement: probably something on forza 2. 

Best moment: getting SWOS and finally having an online game (anyone for SWOS?!). 

Worst:  RROD loss of save games (and Cheevos)

How long: rarely on gold tbh, bought 360 in 2007 I think.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Best moment
    Gears of war: Having run off to source Rizlas or something, I surprised to see the game had already started without me upon my return. I'm on that graveyard level, which was never one of my best, and evidently my team mates- whose identities are deservedly forgotten- had let me down. A quick press of the backup button reveals all had perished within the opening 2 or 3 minutes that I was absent. All I remember is that Gonzo and Destrier were part of the opposition, and that's all the motivation I needed. 

The headset is totally silent, and as soon as I've finished absorbing the enormity of the task that faced me, a member of the enemy team jumps around the corner. It's destrier. I know he can see my motionless character still standing at the spawn point. I know he thinks I'm not there. I know he thinks this is an easy kill. As he walks toward me, slowly firing off rounds provocatively into my torso, i hold my nerve. I wait. And then just as he's lining up a pointblank shotgun execution, on turns my chainsaw. 1 man down. 

Off I run to seek out the others. The best bit is that I'd swear I could hear the tone in Gonzo's voice. "Lockdown! Don't let that greasy Greek cunt anywhere near boomshot!". But it's too late, because I'm already at boomshot, and again I can feel the anxiety on the opposition airwaves as they enter the central choke point to see that glorious weapon absent. 1 more shot fired and two more deaths. All that remains is the team leader. But with nobody left to bark orders at, he makes the rational choice to flee. Both of us are forever taking the racing line. I can only ever get a brief glimpse of him as I round the corner before he's disappeared around the next one. 2, 3, maybe even 4 corners are navigated, and not a single shot is fired. But then a brief, fleeting moment of opportunity arises; a split second where the obstacles of the landscape and my line of sight align to offer a direct hit on Gonzo's next projected position. It's distant, and he hasn't even arrived there yet, but I can't wait until he does. I fire the shot in anticipation. The trajectory is perfect. The timing is perfect. The glorious impact leads to body parts flying everywhere. 

We return to the lobby and a wall of sound awaits. Screaming, cheering, cursing and hysterics ensue. It was only the first round, and I can't remember how the rest of the game played out, but it was a golden moment, and one I think I gloated about for the rest of the evening.
  • Haha, I don't play much online but I always enjoy stories on here about highlights.  G Man told one about a helicopter (or possibly tank) a couple of years ago that cracked me up.
  • How could I forget Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, and G's legendary commandment of a HGV that saw us flip on two wheels whilst caning it down a hill with the entire PLA after us. The slo-mo realisation that physics was against us as the truck crunched onto its side and the panicking cries of "Get the fuck out of here!", as G, Frantic, Voodoo and I pick ourselves up and continue the flee to the evac on foot, our hearts pounding as hard as the poor guys we were piloting. Classic moments in gaming.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    g should not be allowed to use, or even go near, anything with moving parts. That especially includes the little flip up bit on a grenade.
  • Me and Grem abandoning our team and running away for the win in L4D, grabbing the boat to get away in the big Edge GTAIV night and yes, running for the chopper in OF. Basically, I've nailed where modern FPS are going wrong, not enough running away bits.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    How could I forget Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, and G's legendary commandment of a HGV that saw us flip on two wheels whilst caning it down a hill with the entire PLA after us. The slo-mo realisation that physics was against us as the truck crunched onto its side and the panicking cries of "Get the fuck out of here!", as G, Frantic, Voodoo and I pick ourselves up and continue the flee to the evac on foot, our hearts pounding as hard as the poor guys we were piloting. Classic moments in gaming.

Best co-op ever.
  • NEVA 4GET.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • First achievement. Probably completing the first Halo 3 level on Heroic. 

Best Moment. Some point during Halo 3. The game I got my MLG 50 was a great solo moment. It was on Heretic, my favourite Halo map by far, and I knew I was close so the game was a bit nerve wracking. Really was satisfying to go from Brigadier Grade 3 to General. But any number of forum moments probably have to take it, I still remember jumping backwards over Shyam's head when I was no shields for an assassination. Must have teabagged, meleed and shot his dead body for about 20 seconds after that one :)

Worst Moment. Maybe when I realised that Halo Reach was awful and there was no way it would replicate the great times we all had on H3. Pretty certain I was playing Cage, which for those of you who recall playing Cage from Reach will remember as an abysmal map.
    GT: Knight640
  • I remember Mr Benjam killing me on Gears. That was definitely a low point. As was playing with randoms on just about anything. And seeing a penis on Uno. Are there any games where the randoms are on average tolerable?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Peggle.

And Trials Evo is generally ok.
  • I remember Mr Benjam killing me on Gears. That was definitely a low point. As was playing with randoms on just about anything. And seeing a penis on Uno. Are there any games where the randoms are on average tolerable?

Worms.
  • I don't mind randoms, I've 'met' some interesting people among the cunts.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • ODST Firefight Get Tiger Recon Mission.

Me, Nexx, Shyam, BlueSwirl. 3 hours of Halo goodness. BlueSwirl hid in a corner so the Covies couldn't find him and fucked off down the pub for almost the entire game. The rest of us took it in turns to have dinner while watching our team mates fight on to glory. 

Apart from Nexx. Shyam and I weren't the most solid of partnerships once the difficulty has skyrocketed and he had to keep putting down his food and come and save us. "Neeexx, help us!" we cried. And he came, the shining white Knight of Halol Power, to smite the Brute hordes and chastise us for ruining his egg and chips. I'm more important than egg and chips. Nexx understands this now.

And I got the Recon Armour, and looked the fucking tits. I salute you, TGTR. A monument to all the awesome.
  • Mod, I think that only works if the first game you got an achievement on is also the game it's been the longest it's been since you played.  You can find it in True Achievements, though, because they list achievements by date.  But not time.  Anyway...

First Achievement:
    990832.jpg
    First online achievement was apparently in Dead Rising, called "Portraiture", and it was for taking a photograph of at least ten survivors.  My first actual achievement was in Crackdown, and is called "Take Me To Your Supply Point" for, you've guessed it, getting your first pulpy point.  Nice image, though:
    387kr.jpg

Best Moment:  Not sure.  Playing Gears of War 2 in co-op with Ellie, seeing the underground lake for the first time.  Or Left 4 Dead with forum folk (sorry, I forget who) the dash to the pier waiting for the boat, pausing to go back for a fallen comrade, the screams of protest as the others yelled, "Forget him, he's gone!"

Worst Moment:  Coming back from the loo between rounds of Left 4 Dead to hear two team-mates discussing ditching me wasn't very nice.  Deleting my entire friends list wasn't great, as I've never really gotten anyone back, and as a result have barely played online multiplayer since, but that was my own fault.

How long:  Four years and three weeks, apparently.
  • Left 4 Dead is a good call for greatest gaming moments ever.
  • Shite, I had completely forgotten about L4D! It's not even like it deserves to be overlooked!

Co-op against CPU or Vs. was always a riot with a group of forumites. The last stand section on the hospital roof of No Mercy in L4D1 is probably the standout moment for me. Closely followed by the cornfield last stand from L4D1 and the run from the mansion to the boat in L4D2.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Ahhh, the Halo 3 Demo game. That was a cracker that one.

I do hope Ruffian are working on a Crackdown 3 for nextbox.
  • Dumbest moment, bearing in mind that I knew nothing of gamer score or microsoft points, was when my gamer score reached 400 and I went to the store to spend these 'points' on Track and Field. Fuckwit.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Worst Moment:  Coming back from the loo between rounds of Left 4 Dead to hear two team-mates discussing ditching me wasn't very nice.  Deleting my entire friends list wasn't great, as I've never really gotten anyone back, and as a result have barely played online multiplayer since, but that was my own fault.

How long:  Four years and three weeks, apparently.

How did you manage to delete everyone?

I can't find out my first achievement as it was on my sadly defunct account. Fairly sure it would be something on dead rising or more insanely, table toptennis!

Best moment? The creation of team:awesum has to go down as a watershed moment in the whole of gaming, let alone Live. Sooo many great nights from halo, gears, talking to peeps here and generally, well, being awesum!
  • Skondo wrote:
    Dumbest moment, bearing in mind that I knew nothing of gamer score or microsoft points, was when my gamer score reached 400 and I went to the store to spend these 'points' on Track and Field. Fuckwit.

Before I bought a 360 I assumed the same. When I was told what Gamerscore was, my first reaction was "What the fuck's the point in that?"

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Skondo, that is hilarous!
  • First Achievement?
    990511.jpg
    Cluster Buster on Hexic HD for getting 25 combos, 30 April 2006

Best individual moment online?
    Can't remember too many, to be honest, although I'm sure there have been plenty. Mainly Halo and Street Fighter over the years.
    One of the most memorable, though, and not entirely for gaming reasons, is playing Super Street Fighter 4 very late at night, my lovely newborn baby on one arm, pad on the free (left) hand. I was working towards the 'C to Shining C' achievement (rank all characters to level C online ranked matches) and managed to perfect someone using Honda. PERFECT! WITH ONE HAND!!! Fucking noob, lol.

Worst
    Has to be the messages I occasionally got after matches on Street Fighter. And fucking bastards who rage quit. How annoying.

How long have you been a member?
    Since April 2006
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • L4D, how it went from hottest ticket to bad AIDS just like that still escapes me. Surely it wasn't solely the doing of the too soon sequel? Split fanbase, netcode, exploits?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!