Games what "we" wrote
  • No refactor. No clean up. No engineering. YAGNI. Public all the things.
    Do small thing. Then do another. Then don’t stop.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well it's mainly me trying to work out and rationalise what the fuck my code is trying to do
  • I'm still working on the big project. I took some time off this month to make progress and there are playable bits finally.

Also though, I have an idea for something much smaller and simpler that I reckon could be a winner. If anyone fancies collaborating to get it up and running, I'd be keen to do it.
  • I was considering moving to Godot (from Unity) and was trying to think of a simple idea to try, I came up with an idea of rotating shields to protect a base from 'something'. Whilst I still didn't get on with Godot it was an idea I wanted to play with, so I implemented it quite quickly in Unity and it became a game whose aim was to get the highest score.

I created the basics fairly quickly (quickest game I've written), and have spent the last month adding a bit of polish, but mainly trying to get an approach to scoring that allows large scores, whilst also having a reasonable variability in scores, it had to reward both 'skill' and staying alive, I've been through two small pads of paper writing down scores at various points, whilst occasionally transcribing to a spreadsheet to create graphs to see how the scores progress across time. I now have something that I think works with score multipliers added when on a roll.

The game has yet to be released, but its getting close (will be for IOS - with a GameCenter leaderboard available). I haven't decided what to do for a manual/tutorial, or if one is even needed.

Some gameplay:
    https://youtu.be/wg2rf5cQVyQ
  • That looks pretty cool. No chance of an Android version?
  • Thanks, yes there is a chance of an Android version. I've always had more downloads on IOS than Android, hence the current focus. But know more people with Android phones. The game has been tested on Android (I have an Android phone and an iPad, so use both to test that things work ok on screens with different aspect ratios (along with PC based simulators)). I'll have a look at how the Google Play on-line leaderboard works later this week.
  • Looks good, very interesting concept.

Core gameplay looks good. If i was being critical for a release i think it could do with a little more on the audio visual side just to keep it engaging. I don't know how much more polish you have planned, but i had some ideas watching the vid that I'm happy to share if you want suggestions - and happy to keep thoughts to myself if you don't! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Hi Ram,
    Yes, all comments and suggestions are appreciated at the moment. Working on the audio was one thing to do this weekend, and following your comment I'll put a bit more thought/work into it. I'd made the explosions a bit more dynamic to reflect the score spree/multiplier aspect, but its so subtle I'm probably the only person that would notice it, so I'll be considering how to improve.
    Cheers.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oof I've had a potentially good game idea!  And it's pretty easy to prototype!  So unity is underway in anger, I've got the beginnings of it working, now to flesh it out and get some testing done.  You may be my guinea pigs...
  • Is it Femboy Golf VR?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No Fembois in the MVP, but that's now written so I have a functional gameplay loop with level progression and it's moderately fun to play - huzzah!  Though that's obviously subjective (!), and there's ofc currently a complete lack of tuning, and plenty of "fun" bits still to add.  

Quite pleased that I got the scoring system working - think that's the main algorithmic complexity, though the "fun" bits will shake it up a bit.  Want to get a few layers of complexity added (which might not fit in this opening weekend...) then I shall share.

Quite tempted to spoiler the premise, but think I'm keen to see if people can figure it out etc. without me having said much...
  • You punch trees.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Now getting annoyed by unity's idiosyncratic UI shite.  Need to fix z-ordering or some nonsense.  Oh well, enough for tonight, but close, clooose, to the basic extra bits working...
  • Good stuff ace.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Smoke me a kipper
  • Decided I need to make a thing, exploration of concrete megastructures with some Steam Audio sound design magic basically. Been going a ton of testing with the technology going back and forth between Unity and Unreal, think I've pretty much settled for Unity for now, the general UI experience is just much much better and it seems less CPU heavy. Obviously the recent BS with Unity has me a little concerned, but I guess it's probably not going to affect me either way in the short term and a good user experience is more important for a first project. I'd also like to try out Godot but the Steam Audio plugin isn't quite there AFAICT so that's eliminated for now. With Unity I still need to do some testing and a little 'vertical slice' to figure out the whole HDRP rendering thing and see how easy/a pain in the ass it's going to be to do what I want, but I'm hopeful that it won't be too difficult considering that what I want to make is relatively sparse in geometric detail and variation. Maybe Unreal would end up being easier to work with in terms of the visual side, but things like the apparent total lack of a proper audio mixer panel with metering means it can do one tbh. Steam Audio is fucking great, it saddens me that amazing spatial/acoustics tech like this doesn't get more attention. There's such little content made with/about it and it seems like only a handful of people are working on it, meanwhile visual tech like RT gets a tremendous amount of fanfare and money chucked at it. I also tried out Microsoft's Project Acoustics, which sounds very nice and is great for portalling but lacks a proper simulation of acoustic reflections which is something I'm really wanting. It also requires lengthy bake times which isn't great for rapid prototyping. I was almost able to integrate both Project Acoustics and Steam Audio into a demo, but I think PA kind of overrides the SA reflections' HRTF direction which is no good. Probably fixable but the coding required is beyond me for now. Anyway I highly recommend having a play with Steam Audio, it's shockingly easy to get it going on Unity even for a total newbie. When I tried it initially a few years ago I got good results implementing it in a sample project in a couple of hours. It's also not bad getting it going in Unreal though the UI makes it substantially more confusing and awkward to get your head around. If anyone happens to have a scene, like a room or hall or whatever that has some sounds playing in it and would like to hear what it's like when you simulate the acoustics in there maybe give Steam Audio a try. Or send a zip of it my way and I'll set it up, I'd be quite happy to experiment with spaces other than the empty boxy places I'm only able to make right now.
    Sounds interesting indeed. Few years back I was trying to do similar. Then I played Naissance(spelled incorrectly for sure) and  I kinda gave up after that. Stunning game, it was exploring a brutalist megastructure basically. Be interesrted to see what you come up with.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Right, back on it, a chunk more added. Two more aspects needed then I'm feeling that v0 complete ish. TBC of that'll be this weekend or next, but getting there getting there...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    OK, I have a v0!  Kinda mainline features only, but hopefully "playable" and should give a feel for what I'm after.  Pls DM and I'll ping yas a link - Windows only atm.

All feedback welcomed, including "it's shit", "I couldn't work out how to play", "it crashed immediately", "blah would make it better", "don't give up your day job", "ooh that was fun I can see the potential" etc. etc.  

Spoiler:
  • And, it's finally out (for IOS and Android).

Since I last posted, it had further tweaks to the scoring. Along with extra sounds and a number of small changes to graphical effects. The core gameplay and grahical feel stayed the same.

A version has also been created for Android. At one point Android was easier than iOS, but this seems to have flipped, with more set-up required for Android and a longer review process, it seems Google are trying to take quality and app safety a bit more seriously.

Video:

Link to iOS version:
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/shields-defend/id6474212048

Link to Android version:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bleatbleat.shielddefence

Thanks, for all comments and feedback, they were useful.
  • Beat muzzy, job done.

Re touch controls, its not immediately obvious how they work. I was trying to swipe in a circle to move initially.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My friend made a game..

https://rezcue.neonso.com

(Think that link is android only, search Rezcue on the iStore I guess?)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wrong Fred
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Not any more
  • Is this the 'Muzzy's related to royalty' thing again?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah they started to piss me off too tbf!
  • It's the 30 second ad when dying that ruined it for me. I don't mind the odd 5 second ad.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!