Games what "we" wrote
  • What is the link to your app LazyGun?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PourFoi.FlarbleBadnessGL2&hl=en

Thats the old game on Play, the GUI gets messed up on resolutions higher than the galaxy s2's whatever that is, i'm going to fix it permanently (i hope) after im done texturing the area of my current project

You can play it for free with a mouse here http://www.pourfoi.com/Demos/Marble/index.html
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    It's also got a very strong userbase and community to help you with even the smallest problem i've been using  3ds max since 2001, so thats why i'm well aquainted with it, and i cant say communities have been very useful, although video training has. max's poly/mesh editing tools are extremely easy to use, mind, and everything you need to start making basic shapes eitherway id recommend looking up video training on the internet, www.lynda.com, www.eat3d.com, www.digitaltutors.com and so on

I'd agree with all of that. All 3D packages take a bit of getting used to.
    Max is nice, certainly, though I haven't used it in a long time.

Wish I knew a bit about Maya... I've never tried that. :|
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hardly justification for a smiley.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    What is the link to your app LazyGun?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PourFoi.FlarbleBadnessGL2&hl=en Thats the old game on Play, the GUI gets messed up on resolutions higher than the galaxy s2's whatever that is, i'm going to fix it permanently (i hope) after im done texturing the area of my current project You can play it for free with a mouse here http://www.pourfoi.com/Demos/Marble/index.html
    nice indeed. you use unity for it?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yep, was Unity's doing
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    the GUI gets messed up on resolutions higher than the galaxy s2's whatever that is, i'm going to fix it permanently (i hope) after im done texturing the area of my current project

Let us know when you do, I can't even get the ball to roll around on my Nexus 7.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    the GUI gets messed up on resolutions higher than the galaxy s2's whatever that is, i'm going to fix it permanently (i hope) after im done texturing the area of my current project
    Let us know when you do, I can't even get the ball to roll around on my Nexus 7.

the prob mainly is on the left is an area you tap that starts a countdown, unfotunately goes wonky at some resolutions, so you dunno how to start the game

Also people seem to be not noticing the menubutton bottom right that lets you quit mid-game amongst other things, i really should add a tutorial too
  • Alright thats my mission for the night as i need a break from painting textures, i'll get ye old marbley game working sparklingly for once and for all
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    speaking of which, did you get much fame and fortune from Edge?  i can't remember did they give you a prize or just an honourable mention?

Mentioned in the mag, that's about it. No-ones played it in months! Still it's CV points, and I still may phonify it....

Speaking of which, what's a good android to get for developing on (ie middle of the road, matching lots of people's rather than being more powerful than most). All I know about is iPhones.  Maybe I should jump in the android thread I guess, but it scares me.
  • Mate of mine who basically gets whatever looks nice and he can get free on his contract has a Galaxy S2, so I'm going to guess that.

Do Google not have a thing where you can go and look at what number of people are using what devices?
  • Since the S3 is now the leader more or less im using an S2 for development, keeps a leash on things

If you want to be even more broad, a galaxy s or desire hd might be a good possibility
  • Looking at the installs for our apps, the S2 is the most popular single device for all three, at least doubling the number of installs for the device in second place.

For our most popular app, second place goes to the S3, for the next one it's the Nexus 7 and for the last it's the S.

Android 2.3 still has an annoyingly large percentage of users, it's like Internet Explorer all over again.
  • Interesting stuff!

If you guys are interested, i'd like to be able to make an .apk available of my marble game for you to test, if you can be arsed

I think i've fixed the UI issues, if anyones interested i'll post it, i'm just looking up possible online achivements/scoreboards for valueadd as 5 levels isnt a lot, even for 50p
  • I'd be happy to give it a go for you.

To my eyes, OpenFeint seems to be the most popular game network, don't know if they require anything particular from you to use them.
  • Openfeint are no more apparently, went through a brand change because they were found to be data mining their users, naughty boys, not sure if the new brand is worth chasing. Google are apparently making their own thang, so maybe worth waiting for

Right well you can get the fancypants version of the game here or if your phone is of a lesser species this might work for you, im assuming folk know how to install apks
  • Cool.  I'll give it a look once I've made my pre-bed coffee.
  • Oh, I see; there's a start button on the left! That's why I wasn't moving anywhere before.

Seems to be working fine on a Nexus 7, looks damned slick actually; grats.

I proper suck at it, though.
  • Haha cheers, yeah it's a hard game, not really any bones about it

I do really need to get some sorta online leaderboard thing going on with it or incentive to play repeatedly is low, no idea how fast the levels can be completed
  • Probably pretty quickly, considering it's physics based; I almost jumped a fair chunk one time (by accident, obviously).
  • Ahh yeah, thats the thing though, every naughty shortcut you take is recorded and added to your 'impurity' score. A good time is fast with as little impurity as possible.

See, clever that
  • Ooh, that's nice; didn't notice it before.

Couple of comments, having played it a bit more:
    • the jump in when the starting counter gets to 0 feels a bit uncomfortable and distracting, a zoom during the countdown might be nicer
    • I got stuck between two rails (either a bug or collision boxes much bigger than display models, I'm afraid) but couldn't find any way to abort the run and go back to the menu
    • a sensitivity setting might be appreciated by some
  • Thanks for some decent constructive criticism for once! All nice points

The moving camera shouldn't be a problem, are the rails the initial set of rails on stage one?

There are some extensive controls for setting your tilt preferences, sensitivity might not be too hard but i did consider that it might make the game a little exploitable, especially if i was going for online scores and suchlike, unless i suppose i factor the sensitivity into the score. Not sure, i'll look into it, thanks again!

I don't want to get to bogged down by this game atm because of my new one but any criticism people can give i'll gratefuly recieve as i'm planning to actualy submit the marble game to review sites  when im happy with it and actually make something of it, so making it as perfect as possible is a priority
  • I can quite understand you want to concentrate on your new things, I'm exactly the same. Well, after a period of having to tweak every little thing in ways that nobody else notices, anyway.

The rails were at the beginning of stage one, yes. Right hand side of a block in the middle of the area.

I'm not sure what you mean about a sensitivity setting making the game exploitable; surely you can just keep the maximum speed achievable the same for all sensitivities? Or are you thinking there's some way to glitch the physics if you've got really precise control?
  • Maxing the velocity is doable but might seem very awkward and false feeling, the tilt calibration can be used to exploit the amount of force on the marble already (hold the phone in a position and tap the green button, it zeros the tilt to that position, you can get crazy speeds messing with that), changing sensitivity in terms of acceleration may not top the top speed but can decrease the time taken to reach top speed

If you feel the ball should be more responsive, its an easy fix in a physical system as i can just reduce the ball's mass, but i dont really want to make the game easier, the original was a bitch. Maybe difficulty modes might be an idea (Although i'm loathe to add yet more interface rubbish and level by level changes). Very much burnt out on this game, just want it in a state to try for a review or two (Possibly expecting negative things)
  • i suppose a pertinent question is - where do i go to get a review
  • Sorry, a max velocity was just a quick, throwaway suggestion; don't pay too much heed to that. Things move fine as they are, the mention of responsiveness was just in reference to being able to steer more easily at lower sensitivities.

What I'm getting at is that some people like to tilt their device a lot and others a little bit. It's just where you put your maximum tilt angle and the multiplication scale over that distance (i.e. it changes in contrast to the max angle). Imagine the device as a joystick and you're just changing the range of motion available.

Not sure I'm explaining things well here, let me come back to it tomorrow, I'm about to go to bed.
  • Ahh i definitely understand, and you're quite right it could just add a slight multiplier to the acceleration measured by the device, good call sir, i'll look into it tomorrow
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    Interesting stuff! If you guys are interested, i'd like to be able to make an .apk available of my marble game for you to test, if you can be arsed I think i've fixed the UI issues, if anyones interested i'll post it, i'm just looking up possible online achivements/scoreboards for valueadd as 5 levels isnt a lot, even for 50p
    Id give it a test also!
  • Ive released mine on play store, Linky linky
    I do hope to add more features.....
  • hopefully this will turn out to be more reliable than when i said i would test the earlier build for you, but i think i'll buy that for my 3 year old (and to show support), and i'll buy lazy's marblely thing for me just to be fair...though it would be on a nexus 7, so any idea how long before the updates are live?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!