Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    BASTARDS! Ban everyone except me, including Petey.
  • ...also, blame Kow.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Don't ban Tempy! He's great!

But you're fine with me being thrown into a volcano? Fuck you, Frosty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Right, it's a battle of the zimmer frames. Have at you!
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Don't ban Tempy! He's great!
    But you're fine with me being thrown into a volcano? Fuck you, Frosty.

I'd be sad about it.
  • If we're airing grievances then here is mine:

This all feels really weird. We've all been some extremely troubling times. Divorces, babies, sick children, sick parents, deaths, mental health issues, etc. 

This is the first time this stuff has genuinely turned into an issue with the members of this forum. What's different?
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Really nice post g.man :) This is why I will always love you guys...sometimes.
  • We're on our own.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    google wrote:
    If we're airing grievances then here is mine: This all feels really weird. We've all been some extremely troubling times. Divorces, babies, sick children, sick parents, deaths, mental health issues, etc.  This is the first time this stuff has genuinely turned into an issue with the members of this forum. What's different?

I actually also wondered this.
  • Anyhoo, tomorrow is another day.
    Who knows what wonders it will bring.

goodnight all

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FYI folks - there IS actually a forum rule: "don't be a dick".
    I don't comply sometimes, but when I act out (IMHO) it's with/directed at someone who's been around the block a while and who I reckon can shrug it off.

Suggest a spawn-protection period for n00bs - few weeks maybe - so you can get a feel for their personality once they've settled in a bit and chatted for a while before we start with the fucking stupid arguments about pointless bullshit to the point of hurling personal abuse; save that for the old guard, the connoisseurs who can appreciate a vintage flaming, not the n00bs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    She was dropping some pretty heavy shit in the Mental health thread, plus newbie roasting, plus ex to put the other side of the newbie roasting to us.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    google wrote:
    This is the first time this stuff has genuinely turned into an issue with the members of this forum. What's different?

First real drama the B&B has seen? The fact that previous events have tended to occur with reasonably well-known members with established personalities/expectations within the community? The degree to which things escalated (I can't recall full-blown suicide talk being thrown about on the maroon-room).

Not really sure. At the end of the day, it is what it is.
    The janitor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    FYI folks - there IS actually a forum rule: "don't be a dick". I don't comply sometimes, but when I act out (IMHO) it's with/directed at someone who's been around the block a while and who I reckon can shrug it off. Suggest a spawn-protection period for n00bs - few weeks maybe - so you can get a feel for their personality once they've settled in a bit and chatted for a while before we started getting into fucking stupid arguments about pointless bullshit to the point of hurling personal abuse; save that for the old guard, the connoisseurs who can appreciate a vintage flaming, not the n00bs.

I suggest that we stop the sun from rising tomorrow.
  • I suggest you get fucked. 

;-)
  • djchump wrote:
    FYI folks - there IS actually a forum rule: "don't be a dick". I don't comply sometimes, but when I act out (IMHO) it's with/directed at someone who's been around the block a while and who I reckon can shrug it off. Suggest a spawn-protection period for n00bs - few weeks maybe - so you can get a feel for their personality once they've settled in a bit and chatted for a while before we start with the fucking stupid arguments about pointless bullshit to the point of hurling personal abuse; save that for the old guard, the connoisseurs who can appreciate a vintage flaming, not the n00bs.

Good point, well made.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've been getting lots of that today. I reckon it's time for some sleep. 'Night all.
  • adored wrote:
    FYI folks - there IS actually a forum rule: "don't be a dick". I don't comply sometimes, but when I act out (IMHO) it's with/directed at someone who's been around the block a while and who I reckon can shrug it off. Suggest a spawn-protection period for n00bs - few weeks maybe - so you can get a feel for their personality once they've settled in a bit and chatted for a while before we start with the fucking stupid arguments about pointless bullshit to the point of hurling personal abuse; save that for the old guard, the connoisseurs who can appreciate a vintage flaming, not the n00bs.
    Good point, well made.
    Let's get on board this crazy train.

More tho: perhaps that it was a result of a long history of verbal bits + peg take downs is not a plus, but maybe that we should look at reducing those verbal assaults as a whole, rather than blaming the one stranger who walked into the fire?
  • There were verbal assaults? It seemed to me that 90% of the community were doing everything they could to be welcoming to Ellie.
  • good read but if the "dont be a dick" rule was being followed i'm not sure any of this would've started. Read into that what you will.

Is it not weird everyone talking about Ellie like she's not here?

Im currently thinking about the idea that there are people here with mental health issues. Some people know about them (from reading the thread) and those who dont. I'm not bringing him up for because he's been absent for a while but purely because of his posting style - but if Unlikely started posting against someone like Ellie or someone else with mental health issues where do we draw the line if he or anyone doesn't understand the wider implications?

what i'm trying to say is, personally i post as i post. I can't rely on knowing other people's backgrounds or situations. Others will also do this and to be frank this is the internet, one of the most anonymous places on earth for some, i can only imagine its the people at risk who are the ones who should consider the situation more.

- i'm not defending andy, others are saying they feel he just posted as he does. Therefore should he change his posting on the offshoot that someone with mental health issues takes umbridge?

not looking for answers to any of those questions, more just posting whats on my mind after reading this and other stuff.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Good point Maria
  • I thought the single comment about Nu-Ellie flashing her tits to her Oxford friend was a bit much and a bit out of sequence with the rest of the discussion/argument. It seemed like a nasty little dig to me. Also, I don't think people would have reacted any differently had it been Unlikely, Gonzo, or anyone else.

I think the biggest difference in all this is that, as has been mentioned, usually people have been members for some time before they unload anything *heavy* here. We know each other, to varying degrees, but Truth is still an unknown quantity to most.

Hopefully she's ok.
  • google wrote:
    There were verbal assaults? It seemed to me that 90% of the community were doing everything they could to be welcoming to Ellie.
    If a completely innocuous topic or slightly awkward stumbling can end up quick sharp with personal insults, that's a problem, as is the assumption that everyone who gets entangled in one will shrug it off or not be overly bothered. Reducing hurt feelings from bullshit arguments is probably a good idea overall, regardless if the person is new or not.

If we make these genuinely petty snipes our way of doing things, then when someone comes around who is genuinely upset or confused, it is not an excuse to say "But we always act like assholes!"
  • The cynical part of me is thinking this thread is not helping anything and really shouldn't exist in public form.
  • I do lean that way too, Google.

Can see why Fenton felt a need though, for sure.
  • I thought the single comment about Nu-Ellie flashing her tits to her Oxford friend was a bit much and a bit out of sequence .
    Now I did catch it when Ellie posted a a cleavage shot in another thread, to which I assumed this comment was referring too. So the 'not reading every thread' thing can go either way.

The lesson there is if you are going to argue then keep it on topic and relevant to the subject at hand rather than resorting to cheap digs. Unfortunately referfences to things posted elsewhere, on Twitter or even said on Xbox live, days, weeks or years ago that are totally irrelevant happen far too often.

• Ellie is reading the thread, for anyone else who feels understandably weird. She's writing a reply as we speak.

I can't rely on knowing other people's backgrounds or situations.

It's hard when a newcomer joins us because we enjoy and most of us see no harm in calling people faggots and cunts but, that's banter and totally not appropriate in most other situations.

Equally, you go down the pub and you're having a chat and you use the term "I was having a fit" and the newcomer of the group says to you, politely of course "mate, that's not on, I have epilepsy and it's inappropriate terminology." You would respect that.

I'm not saying Ellie was right to play that particular card as another salvo in an internet argument, but just generally, as a long-form version of the forum rule, it's good to just keep in mind that sometimes you can't possibly be expected to know everyone's circumstances, but as long as everyone keeps it ultimately civil and doesn't automatically think the worst of people, nothing bad can happen.

• If we make these genuinely petty snipes our way of doing things, then when someone comes around who is genuinely upset or confused, it is not an excuse to say "But we always act like assholes!"

Bullshit. This is one of the friendliest, healthiest and most heart warming forums I've ever run into. From the childsplay thread to the various assistance many of us have received publicly or privately with all manner of personal topics. The fact that we're able to have a topic like this without it developing into a massive ego spat speaks volumes.

There will be times when we step over the line. We may have a bad day and take It out on the forum. We may just not like someone. But very rarely do we see any real nastiness.

If we're bringing real life into this, let's remember Andy is a policeman. He's no doubt been involved in assaults, potential threats on his life and other nastiness in service to his community. Do we suddenly forget that because he may or may not have said something inappropriate on a Thursday evening with his mates?

My point is, this whole subject is not cool. Andy is a good bloke with a good heart. This forum had form for overly critical behaviour in the past so if someone stepped over the line today it's something we all need to take responsibility for.
  • g.man wrote:
    Difficult times.

This was great. Thanks, mate.
  • We do not call people niggers regularly. I guess that's the only one that is missed. More jocular nigger play please!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!