SteamBox aka Steamy Gabecube aka SteamOS
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    This walled garden thing is getting out of hand...

"Walled garden"?... 

Sheesh. ~.~

It's like no one's ever bothered to read Gonzo's thread...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • What thread.......~.~
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    What thread.......~.~

I'll go bump it, shall I? :}
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • What tool base are you talking about mod, you dont have to do anything special or super expensive to integrate your game into steam, certainly not if it's planned from the outset, and that is the only 'tool base'(!?!?!?) valve demand(?!?!)

It's also a weird day when we see people vehemently defending Microsoft over a consistently 'generous' software developer because they pointed out a likely trend and decided to do something about it. People are weird.

For the additional, if you think Steam only provides mainstream games you haven't actually looked at steam very hard, or at all
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Um, wot?

Tool base refers to Direct X or OpenGl. Oh, and btw, Mac only supports OpenGL up to 3.2 (August 09) Not the latest. i.e. nothing that OpenGl added to compete with Direct3D 11.

Which, to clarify, means anyone making OpenGL games either needs to produce two versions (Windows/Linux and Mac or alternatively universally target the older standard)

Please give me an example of Valve's generosity. I remember them giving Portal away to entice Mac users (Steam currently has around 3.2% Mac users, under half of the general Mac population....so how'd that work out?)

Your last point can just fuck off for being antagonistic, My number one and two GOTY were Steam Indies. As was the last game I bought on there. In fact...when I bought you Dead Island what game did I ask you to get me in return?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That's apple say it's not support AFAIK you can have the latest one but support isn't given by apple on it as it's not their tech. Hence only supports up to. 

Producing a Windows exe Linux dmg is moot. 

Carry on.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Mod the last point wasnt aimed at you, you were fine on that, it was pointed at Moto

Steambox taking off would be a wet dream to indies that the Ouya pales in comparison to

If the steambox is linux then the mac thing is irrelevant, as dynamite says the authoring tools are now catering to a multiplatform idea, games these days you literally just dial things down to suit weaker platforms, want it to run faster? lower the physics and post effects precision, change the lighting from pixel to vertex, take away the pom shaders or whatever, make the lod more aggressive or the draw distance tighter, it can usually accomodate, but yes, im not sure the mac thing is relevant

i think the orange box is one giant totem of valves generosity i suppose. but the ongoing steals you can get on steam, their benevolent attitude to gamer pleasing and coveted employee status all count for something. i have a friend who was stung by valves business model, or creative model or whatever you wanna call it, buying out an idie doing a project they are interested in, her bf got kinda shafted by the left 4 dead thing iirc, but championing microsoft over them is, frankly, ridiculous

and yeah i think i'll echo sentiments of ms going the way of the green fruit company, theyve nothing to lose to the unwashed masses and most wont even realise it happened, im all windows atm but i may have to, gosh, dual boot some day soon
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not championing Microsoft, I'm pointing out the massive folly in thinking Steam (not the games on it) supporting Linux or Valve pushing out a PC running it (oh thank God, it was literally impossible to get Linux running on a PC before now) moves the needle towards the platform one iota.
  • I think you'd be surprised, i mean, theres maybe no changing your mind at the moment, but you would be very surprised at how that could work out, speaking as an admittedly hobbyist developer who speaks to developers. I suppose time will tell, but i think i agree with dynamite, its very compelling
  • I believe! When can I buy one.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    I suppose time will tell, but i think i agree with dynamite, its very compelling

What's compelling about supporting another platform with a microscopic user base?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Steam for Linux now generally available

http://steamcommunity.com/linux
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I suppose time will tell, but i think i agree with dynamite, its very compelling
    What's compelling about supporting another platform with a microscopic user base?

It might change with the launch of a Linux console. And fast.
    Afterall, this is Valve we're talking about. They pioneered digital downloads when noone else would.

Steambox might become a nexus between pc type gaming and console gaming. 
    Download and buy games (discs)  for pc (linux) and console. Configurable graphics on a pc and fixed settings on console. One unified online service connecting pc and consoles. Free?

Bestcase scenario: It will be everything ms failed to do with xbox/pc/live. MS failed to capitalize on a Live synergy between xbox and the pc platform. Valve sees that as an oppurtunity to fill the void and publishers follow because porting, with the right middleware, is easy and cheap. Everybody adores Gabe and throw rosepetals at his feet.
    Worstcase scenario: It flops because everyone has already invested into the Live and PSN ecosystems. The market isn't big enough for 3 players and Steambox crashes and burns despite being launched with HalfLife3 and Portal3 and receiving rave reviews. The dwindling economy doesn't help either. Publishers perceive a third platform too risky and support falters in time. Everybody hates Gabe calling him a big fat cunt.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:

You mean a platform should have a huge userbase before it exists?
  • I think the PC/console crossover could be one of the problems. The people that are enthusiastic about this seem to already have Steam accounts and would love to have a second gaming machine, this one under the TV, where they could play all the Steam games they have on their PC. Sounds great, but it's no use at all to third parties. They don't get extra sales that way.

This needs to sell to console gamers, but we don't know enough yet about price and specification to guess if it's even remotely appealing. It could be amazing, but it could also be a small form, low spec gaming PC for £500.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    You mean a platform should have a huge userbase before it exists?

Linux has existed for 20+ years.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I think the PC/console crossover could be one of the problems. The people that are enthusiastic about this seem to already have Steam accounts and would love to have a second gaming machine, this one under the TV, where they could play all the Steam games they have on their PC. Sounds great, but it's no use at all to third parties. They don't get extra sales that way. This needs to sell to console gamers, but we don't know enough yet about price and specification to guess if it's even remotely appealing. It could be amazing, but it could also be a small form, low spec gaming PC for £500.

You've hit the nail on the head, and the only real question (which may have come up, but I' don't think it has) is:

"who is this for?"

ATM it seems like it's for Gabe.
  • I_R wrote:
    I think the PC/console crossover could be one of the problems. The people that are enthusiastic about this seem to already have Steam accounts and would love to have a second gaming machine, this one under the TV, where they could play all the Steam games they have on their PC. Sounds great, but it's no use at all to third parties. They don't get extra sales that way. This needs to sell to console gamers, but we don't know enough yet about price and specification to guess if it's even remotely appealing. It could be amazing, but it could also be a small form, low spec gaming PC for £500.

Is the pc market as is really that enticing and that big a piece of the pie?
    Also there's the small problem of piracy plagueing current pc releases.
    Registration through Steam might remedy that bit a lot. 
    Very attractive to developers i can imagine.
  • What does linux's current userbase have anything to do with it?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What does a platform userbase have to do with the decisions to develop for it?

Are you honestly asking that question?
  • Have you ignored everything said in the thread so far about developing for it? Do a lot of people use whatever the ps3's OS is on their home computers a lot? It's windows surely.
  • What's the userbase for the NextXbox? 0
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Current topic is hitting the fan like shit. Stop The modloop. It makes no difference.

Steambox has currently 0 userbase. Fuck off.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • What's the userbase for the NextXbox? 0

No because the Nextbox will be using Windows 8, it'll have mspaint and everything
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hahahlols.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What's the userbase for the NextXbox? 0

What will it be 6 months after launch, and 12 months, and 18 months. Very clever people are paid lots of money to make predictions for these figures and then other people decide how much resource to allocate, because resources aren't infinite.

You think Bobby Kotick is banging his fist on the table demanding to know why his studios are developing for the NextBox because he's just looked at the Amazon sales chart and the NextBox isn't even in the top 100?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    What will it be 6 months after launch, and 12 months, and 18 months. Very clever people are paid lots of money to make predictions for these figures and then other people decide how much resource to allocate, because resources aren't infinite. You think Bobby Kotick is banging his fist on the table demanding to know why his studios are developing for the NextBox because he's just looked at the Amazon sales chart and the NextBox isn't even in the top 100?

Whilst Gabe and Valve are just taking an uneducated punt? I don't think so.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Have you ignored everything said in the thread so far about developing for it?

I haven't ignored eveything said, and I haven't seen a single convincing reason studios will rush to support Linux other than 'Valve magic'. I'll say again, this is supposedly a console competitor, so I'm talking about console games. Not the kind of indie stuff engines like Unity fart out.

Anyone could shove some mid range components in a small box, shove Linux on it and call it a console. Have one good guess as to why they don't or if they do no one is interested.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What will it be 6 months after launch, and 12 months, and 18 months. Very clever people are paid lots of money to make predictions for these figures and then other people decide how much resource to allocate, because resources aren't infinite. You think Bobby Kotick is banging his fist on the table demanding to know why his studios are developing for the NextBox because he's just looked at the Amazon sales chart and the NextBox isn't even in the top 100?
    Whilst Gabe and Valve are just taking an uneducated punt? I don't think so.

Ruh?

Gabe and Valve have already made their punt. You can get Valve games on Steam Linux already. Their support for the platform isn't even remotely in question.

EDIT: You can get a Valve game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!