SteamBox aka Steamy Gabecube aka SteamOS
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    All of this new control stuff sounds as appealing as a pint of cold sick.

It could turn out to be total shit... And it's just a rumour, but...

...heard that some of these devices - maybe the controller itself - could be (or include) biometric sensors. These could measure heart beat (via a bracelet), skin galvanic response (sweaty hands) and feed that information back into the game. Sources intimated to The Verge that the technology was so good, "You won't ever look back.”

From Eurogamer... 
    So I'm intrigued, and think it's worth discussing.

Also relevant, though possibly tenous - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It's amazing to remember how important Japan was.
  • I want games consoles to shout things at me in faux American accents recorded by middle aged Japanese men.

Can't see valve delivering.

I'm out.
  • Tempy wrote:
    S'funny as I was told to drink a pint of sick as part of a dare and I said, and I shit you not, "This sounds about as appealing as wishy washy control methods involving brain waves and the like" and we all agreed so poured the sick on a vagrant who had a tin whistle.

True story - I was on a stag do when a complete stranger ended up drinking half a pint of the stag's sick. I wish I could unsee.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Did money change hands? Also did he/she puke up the puke?

Pukeception.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • The only money that changed hands was the random stumping up the money to pay for drinks, which my mate duly threw back up into a half pint glass, which he, you know...

He kept it down though. His only comment was 'it was chewier than I expected'. I'd wager it wasn't the first time he'd done it.

A few minutes later we saw him kissing his missus. She mouthed 'is that them?' then started waving at us...god only knows what he told her.

I'm trying to think of a link back to Valve/Steam but drawing a blank.
  • That man would love this console.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    pabloamigo wrote:
    The only money that changed hands was the random stumping up the money to pay for drinks, which my mate duly threw back up into a half pint glass, which he, you know... He kept it down though. His only comment was 'it was chewier than I expected'. I'd wager it wasn't the first time he'd done it. A few minutes later we saw him kissing his missus. She mouthed 'is that them?' then started waving at us...god only knows what he told her. I'm trying to think of a link back to Valve/Steam but drawing a blank.

Christ..... I mean... 
    Nope; Christ is all I've got.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Can't see valve delivering. I'm out.

Meh.

Fuck it.

I see them delivering. And with bells on. The underground noises sound so trill...
    They've done some amazing R+D... 

Amazing.

It might still fold, but who cares. Someone will build on their tech.
  • I meant on the shouty japanese man, they will deliver Valve games for sure.

Don't like valve games much though, other than Portal.

They aren't arty enough for my liking, very little flair.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    They aren't arty enough for my liking, very little flair.

Art is only a part of what Valve have locked onto. If the rumours ring true.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Here's the bit where I point out the only original game Valve have made is Half Life.
  • Half Life isn't arty, it looked good at the time, still looks pretty good but it isn't arty, it doesn't have flair. The only franchise they have deved with a stand out styling is Team Fortress.

They make very good games, just don't excel in their visual styling. It's all very PC gaming.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
  • Oh, duh. Silly me.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Left4Dead?

Have you heard about what they've done with Left 4 Dead? 
    It's the reason why they're releasing new hardware...
  • Linky?

Genuinely interested on that one, L4D was always one that caught my imagination but the world was a bit meh for me.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:

Good work. 

Valve do that alot.

Haven't you noticed?

It's why I'm in this thread.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Left4Dead?

Have you heard about what they've done with Left 4 Dead? 
    It's the reason why they're releasing new hardware...

No and I'll never afford their new console or have time to get properly into L4D2 again so I struggle to muster enthusiasm.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Valve do that alot. Haven't you noticed? It's why I'm in this thread.

I'm not sure I follow. Anyhoo, SteamBox isn't an original idea either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_(game_system)#The_Phantom_console

lalala
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Left4Dead?
    Have you heard about what they've done with Left 4 Dead?  It's the reason why they're releasing new hardware...
    No and I'll never afford their new console or have time to get properly into L4D2 again so I struggle to muster enthusiasm.

Bet there isn't even no Cat hats either 

cat hat fro lyf
  • The biggest problem is every time anything is design for PC gamers it looks like a big ton of ass.

Based on history alone it is highly likely steambox will be in the shaped of a dragon tribal tattoo, will be the size of a Vectra and will constantly pulse neon blue.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Left4Dead?
    Have you heard about what they've done with Left 4 Dead?  It's the reason why they're releasing new hardware...

This is how I've seen games recently... 

But as a lifelong enthusiast (yeah... I'll admit it), their research sounds very intriguing, and they've they've certainly been forerunners in the industry. So I'm keen to see if they deliver.
  • I'd be more interested if they'd ever managed to deliver on Half Life.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I'd be more interested if they'd ever managed to deliver on Half Life.

Ha! I remember going through the extras on Orange Box...
    Gabe himself talked about reading as many fan letters as possible...

Only the best do that.

We'll see an episode three. Even if it's wodged into HL3*...

*What's more, do I care?
    The biggest problem is every time anything is design for PC gamers it looks like a big ton of ass. Based on history alone it is highly likely steambox will be in the shaped of a dragon tribal tattoo, will be the size of a Vectra and will constantly pulse neon blue.

This will be the first thing they'll take care of. The box itself will look good enough, I'm sure.
  • I hope you are right dynamite.
  • Seems like most people here are already vested in the MS Live ecosystem.
    This will be Steambox' biggest hurdle to overcome. If based on Linux, they'll have to start from scratch with their Steambox library. Like any regular newcomer they won't be able to fall back on Backwards compatiility with older Steam titles.
    Still they have the muscle to pull it off, they have a decent relationship with most devs and publishers. Most important of all, if the price is right this just might take off. 

But yeah, differences between consoles are getting harder to spot. 
    What will be the big differentiator between Sony, MS and Valve next gen?
    Online service could be one, Live vs. Steam vs. PSN should be interesting espescially the prices of hardware, software and subs.

Hardware wise, they probably won't differ all that much. Not substantially anyways.
    With software and subs, if they can keep their prices inline with what they are offering now, they definitely have an advantage. Cheaper games + free online gaming? Yes please. 
    Although I don't think that will happen (the free online i.e.)
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:

&
    Valve do that alot. Haven't you noticed? It's why I'm in this thread.

&

Mod74 wrote:
    I'm not sure I follow... 

I was referring to the smart, surprising and economical acquisitions they often make before working on large commercial projects. That's how they made Portal... They bought the small team ("Nuclear Monkey Software") who developed the original concept (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop) and built the game out from there...

I didn't know Left 4 Dead was built in the same way... I thought that was all in house.

And now they're doing it again...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/14/report-valve-acquires-star-filled-studios-opening-office-in-sa/

A very prestigious pair of developers in that new acquisition too, and fuck knows what their game will be, but Valve do have a good record on building games in this way... As Nintendo once did.

Again, fuck knows how the box will turn out, but them dudes is clever... 

Their first real announcement should be interesting...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!