SteamBox aka Steamy Gabecube aka SteamOS
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Unity supports Mac, an OS with a market share 400% bigger than Linux. Have you looked at what games get released for Mac on Steam (launched 2 and a half years ago)? Remember when Steam supporting Mac meant it was going to be a proper gaming platform?

OSX is Linux. With restrictions, and a handful of extensions.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Unity supports Mac, an OS with a market share 400% bigger than Linux. Have you looked at what games get released for Mac on Steam (launched 2 and a half years ago)? Remember when Steam supporting Mac meant it was going to be a proper gaming platform?
    OSX is Linux. With restrictions, and a handful of extensions.

This, its also heavily controlled, Valve cant use that as a platform. If they have a platform they can control every aspect of, they have free reign to do what they want - there would be no way they'd stick their neck out so far using an OS they cant control, but because they now can (and the timing's right, more or less) they can make a show of it. Steam own by far the biggest slice of of the digital distribution pie and i dont have statistics but i'd imagine pc sales as a whole.

With linux now getting extremely advanced and now having some solid support from hardware and software manufacturers (Its a much different story from 10 years ago), its not a stretch to say developers wont really mind their hand being forced for linux ports when it's instant entry to a new console market at, relatively, low effort compared to wrestling with confounding traditional console configurations (Although im admittedly making assumptions as to the hardware there). And the whole 'free stuff!' which comes with steam, and their regular sometimes inspired sales and so on does help. Theres also probably the driving force behind this which is microsoft wanting valves market (Obviously hence gabes wrath), valve goes to linux and makes a hardware split from desktop pcs, obviously developers would still support windows but you cant help but think that at a low barrier/cost of entry their games get played on the  big tv delivered by a tried, tested and respected system, these developers and publishers will be very interested in what valve are offering.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'm not suggesting that Valve would use OSX as a basis for their Steam Box, I'm pointing out that despite giving their Linux away for two decades the market is 1.6%

You have a perfect model of the effect Steam supporting an OS will have with Mac. 2 and a half years later and an OS with 400% larger share gets basically no big releases.

It's OK Valve pushing out a box that runs Linux but unless people actually buy it instead of/as well as NextBox/PS4 then the addressable market for Linux gamers won't justify the amount of developer effort. You can cite 'push button to get Ubuntu [not Linux]' in stuff like Unity but that only applies to the small scale indies working in it.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You can cite 'push button to get Ubuntu [not Linux]' in stuff like Unity but that only applies to the small scale indies working in it.

Where did you read that, on both counts!

The point was valve couldnt make a standalone platform from osx, they can with linux, the reason linux has a tiny share is theres no motivation to use linux over windows on traditionally distributed pc hardware especially as installing it and maintaining it is seen as a bit of a domain for nerds. Steam box would run linux transparently, theres no expectation of having to know how to use a computer, its open, so its very malleable, and its completely free, all the good bits behind pc gaming and no windows license/stipulations, a strong brand (Especially as in gaming circles Valve remain a very beloved company and maybe 'one of the good guys') and very low barrier of entry. It's a bit of a winner.
  • It's the usual chicken and egg - no Linux games, no one buys the box, no one will port games until the box sells. Then you've got EA doing their own thing, how long before other publishers make that move?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Unity 4 will also include a preview of a new deployment option to publish games to Desktop Linux.[6][7][8] While the deployment add-on can potentially work with various forms of Linux, development is primarily focused on Ubuntu for its primary release.[9]
    If it's going to be a consolefied box you're relying on Valve to develop the interface then develop, test, and push out updates to the end users. Which is fine, but that's a whole different ball game to running a simple content delivery platform.

I think it's a bit early to talk about barriers to entry. We've no idea of the spec of the device, how much it will cost, or what OS it runs (and as a consequence what type of game catalogue you'll get)

Netbook and Nettop machines were cheaper because they ran Linux. How many of them do you see nowadays?
  • Afaik Valve have already started the UI development with their Big Picture service which is now part of Steam, so i think that was a strong motivator towards a more concentrated bigscreen development. I asked where you'd got your source on the linux thing because theres a bunch of discussion on forums regarding what distro people have been building for with Unity with success across the board - Them specifying the most popular distro of Linux for development makes sense but i dont think its hard for those with a Unity Pro license at least to make the necessary changes to tailor it to most environments.

Regarding games being made for linux, i think the two big things for me there are Steam Greenlight and Unity now building for linux (And im presuming more such companies following suit if they arent already there), i think that could be significant, especially early on
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    We'll see. I'll be gobsmacked if Linux is the only version you can buy. And will say now it'll be a complete failure and won't alter developer intentions toward the platform.

Note, I'm talking about the ultra shiny high profile stuff that people want/expect from PC/TV gaming, not the kind of stuff hoping to get picked up via GreenLight (which would have to be playable with and support a controller).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    All this talk about Linux is somewhat important, but it's a surmountable aside.

Most of today's triple A games, barring exclusives like Halo are based on middleware... 
    The Unreal 3 engine, for example will output executables that work on Linux with no trouble...

As a result, games like Arkham Asylum could possibly only take a matter of weeks to port.

So you see, those middle vendors will benefit too.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Arkham Asylum (and City) is a Games for Windows Live game so I wouldn't hold your breath on that appearing on Linux.

I know that's one example, but it does point to the problems of contracts for republishing existing games.
  • Actually, I think it's irrelevant for consumers whether Steambox runs on Windows or Linux. 
    It all depends on whether Valve can convince developers to optimize/port stuff to their console.
    If they have the developer support, they've got the ball rolling.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Arkham Asylum (and City) is a Games for Windows Live game so I wouldn't hold your breath on that appearing on Linux. I know that's one example, but it does point to the problems of contracts for republishing existing games.

That's exactly right.

That's a bigger deal than the whole Linux thing. The only way to change that, is by designing a console that people will want. Do that, and the developers will come.

I'm really keen to see what Valve have worked out that others haven't...

Perhaps they're bluffing...

I still think there's a hardware innovation somewhere in this story...
  • I'm not going to hold my breath on games retroactively being ported to work on linux, i dont think that's even particularly workable, i would just expect more to see, as dynamite said, some movement in middleware developers to offer linux output as an option. Taking an old game and moving it over = a lot of hassle, but on a basic pc-based hardware set the translation is practically effortless for a games developer if the middleware has provided that support - A real clincher is that licenses to develop games with this middleware are inordinately more expensive for publishing to typical consoles like xbox etc, if Valve go with a comparitively vanilla tranbslation of linux and their hardware then its then significantly cheaper to develop for, and in tandem with a windows release

Obviously a lot of speculation but a linux based box with the base hardware analogous to a desktop (geforce gpu, intel i-number cpu and so on) makes it a no brainer to develop for if youre already developing for the other platforms, especially if middleware supports it (Which udk actually has tools for but isnt quite there yet, i presume the engine 'proper' has more meaningful support)
  • One thing you could get if Valve make a box is better grafix out of it compared to a similarly specced PC. The fact you would have a box which has X processor + Y graphics means that devs could optimise for that set up, in the same way, that the next gen system will look better than any similarly specced PC.
  • I'm not disagreeing with anything in mods posts, it's all pretty much spot on imo.
    It's worth noting though that the amount of Macs with anything resembling a top end graphics card in it must be vanishingly small.
    They're not that suitable for comparison with a Linux steambox because people just aren't buying them to play steam games on.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    How's that project working out, cuckoo? Still working with wimborne and shit?

No idea what toms up to to be honest! I think him and his dudes ended up with different interests. I'm working on a super awesome mobile game and putting the initial stuff together that i hope to put on greenlight whenever its done, it'll be a super pretty 'experience' in the dear esther/journey mould is the plan although obviously i shant quite reach those heights, i just wanted to do an all singing all dancing dx11 powered graphics thing to stop some kids bitching on the unity forums about how unity cant do graffix (which is complete nonsense), but i dont see either project being completed until the second half of 2013 at the soonest, and im putting 10-12 hours a day into it. This stuff's time consuming!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I'm not disagreeing with anything in mods posts, it's all pretty much spot on imo. It's worth noting though that the amount of Macs with anything resembling a top end graphics card in it must be vanishingly small. They're not that suitable for comparison with a Linux steambox because people just aren't buying them to play steam games on.

You're absolutely right, and anyone buying a Linux Steam box would massively increase the percentage of Linux gamers.

Comparing to Mac though does I think prove a useful comparison of addressable market vs developer focus. It's still a bit chicken and egg though as Iain said.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Everyone's read the rumours about the biometric pad though, right?
    That all seems quite new...

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    "Valve filed a patent for a controller with user configurable buttons"

UM
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So the idea of games that 'attempt' to sense your mood doesn't strike anyone as particularly revolutionary?
    It could turn out to be a "mahoosive" innovation.

I expect that's going to be a big USP for this thing if it's true... They've quite likely had an epiphany in a QA session using biometrics, as I expect all the large game companies do (remember that Edge feature? I should start buying that mag again), and the testers probably made a game out of it, like "Haha! Look at how James'/Jenny's heart rate goes up when approaching turn 5 of this track!", and the rest of the QA team are like "Ha! I barely break a sweat on this bit, but on that bit..."... And with that, the bods started dicking about.

Then they made some hardware.

And now we could possibly be talking about a box based on that very tech... It's quite a strong one, and much like improved graphics, it's something that can enhance almost any game. You can also spin new genres off it. Like a home conversion of brainball, or something...

That kind of tech is long overdue...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I can see it being cool in niche cases (like a zombie game where it attacks you when you're most shutting it), but for most games Im not sure what it would actually be used for. Like a football penalty shoot out - make you kick less accurately if you're nervous? Maybe. But I'd just take the 'bracelet' off cos I'd want to win.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    But I'd just take the 'bracelet' off cos I'd want to win.

I was also thinking about the form of such a thing... A "bracelet" sounds like a tasteful applicator... Better than jump-leads and crocodile clips, or an array of needles, anyway. : P  

Didn't Ninty also have an Wii based oximeter in development? Or has that gone all N64 DD on us?

As for the games themselves, you wouldn't want your "readings" (or what have you) to effect your accuracy in a sports game, but you have the whole player stamina thing in modern footy games, right?

Say if you had a 2 - 0 edge on your opponent (or you've conceded a brace), I reckon you could probably measure a physiological change of some sort... You could translate that bio reading into the rate by which your team's stamina depletes, so even if you're losing, but are actively chasing the game, your players stay responsive. But if the readings suggest that you've given up on the match, then your players will burn and flag like a political extremist...

And you could work with that...

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of such a scheme, and you can see where it leads...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The vitality sensor? They quite correctly ditched that as gimmicky pointless shit.
  • The Verge article kills the idea of a subsidy, so it doesn't look like much more than a gaming PC with a specification that'll be well supported (by Valve anyway) and a game pad. The openness is interesting, the publishers moving towards their own on-line stores might find it attractive enough to produce Linux games.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    The vitality sensor? They quite correctly ditched that as gimmicky pointless shit.

It'll probably end up on a home system eventually.
    It's relatively cheap technology, and has (in a lab at least) been proven to improve some games.

I'm sure Microsoft are researching it... ~_~

Even relatively simple biometrics such as pulse rate is not guaranteed to work with all gamers. Nintendo has stated that it did not bring the Vitality Sensor to market as they could only get it to work with 80 per cent of players. When we use GSR (galvanic skin response) during playtests we see a successful reaction around 90 per cent of the time, so it’s not guaranteed for everyone. 

From non other than Edge.

That sounds very different from your hunch...

Perhaps that's exactly the problem that Valve have solved.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Seems unlikely.

MS are working on some interesting game related stuff

http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/03/microsoft-invents-projector-eyewear-for-xbox-beyond.html
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Seems unlikely. MS are working on some interesting game related stuff http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/03/microsoft-invents-projector-eyewear-for-xbox-beyond.html

And from the very same site...

http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/10/future-sony-gaming-may-use-gaze-gesture-brainwave-controls.html

C'mon son...

And look at this one...

http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/11/microsoft-creating-real-time-biometrics-for-gaming-beyond.html

So you see Mod, using your own standard, I've proven my point to be very likely indeed.
    Justified my speculation, in fact...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funny thing is, I've always questioned the idea using of biometrics in HCI... 
    But don't feel so bad about a games system based on it. Which is strange, because games could make for the most exacting data rule imaginable.

Pushing this line of thought, what if I was playing a game online, and that game measured an excessive heart rate after I'd bosched some skag for a gaming session (as you do)...

That information's now sitting on a remote server, tied to my user account...

Who'd want that?
  • All of this new control stuff sounds as appealing as a pint of cold sick.
  • S'funny as I was told to drink a pint of sick as part of a dare and I said, and I shit you not, "This sounds about as appealing as wishy washy control methods involving brain waves and the like" and we all agreed so poured the sick on a vagrant who had a tin whistle.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!