theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Well Star Filled seemingly has a strong social/casual bent so maybe that's a clue.

I'm not disputing that buying up mod teams or studios with promising games early doors hasn't worked out well for them. I would wonder what they do with the staff after cranking out the first game then a sequel. Third sequel maybe? It certainly doesn't seem to be HL3.
  • Half Life 3 at launch?
    Make it so Gabe, make it so....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    STEAMBOX EXCLUSIVE!

TBH, at this point in time I'm more inclined to think of HL3 as some sort of ironic joke.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hunk's hit it on the head. If there's fuck all to differentiate the hardware (IF... Prove me wrong Kinect 2.0...) it comes down to the services. Valve already do a cleverly serviceable cross game chat and console overlay (hell I used it for Diablo 3!) and cheaper prices. What'll the others do?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Point to their console exclusives and integrated media services fondle their marketing budgets then laugh at the PC delayed ports and largely woeful controller support. Probably.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But wasn't the thing we just discussed in the other thread the LACK of exclusives nowadays? Nothing is exclusive anymore. 

Integrated media - yes. That's a thing. But if the WiiU could sort out a Lovefilm deal, I'm sure a Steambox could.

Marketing budgets - do we even know what Valve's 'warchest' is? They don't tend to 'do' marketing, so I don't think we can really judge that. Even things like Portal 2 were published by EA. 

Delayed PC ports - certainly something that has got better in the past year, and we're at a stage now where the quality of the PC ports are superior (TO CURRENT SYSTEMS)...

Woeful controller support - WHY THE FUCK WON'T BLOOD MONEY PLAY WITH CONTROLLER ON PC. Ahem. Big Picture obviously first steps on that road.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    If there's fuck all to differentiate the hardware (IF... Prove me wrong Kinect 2.0...)...

Interested to know what you think of all the rumours about the Steambox being based on biometric technology, because
    if that really is the basis of this thing, then that's at least as smart as the Wii-mote.

Your opinion as a media studies scholar particularly, if you please. : )

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I'm having flashbacks of people laughing at the xbox (fugly!) and it's controller when it first launched. 
    Anyone remember the whopper pad?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    If there's fuck all to differentiate the hardware (IF... Prove me wrong Kinect 2.0...)...
    Interested to know what you think of all the rumours about the Steambox being based on biometric technology, because if that really is the basis of this thing, then that's at least as smart as the Wii-mote. Your opinion as a media studies scholar particularly, if you please. : )

Fuck do I know. I'm only film-based to be honest!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    I'm having flashbacks of people laughing at the xbox (fugly!) and it's controller when it first launched. 
    Anyone remember the whopper pad?

Damn straight I do, it was the most comfortable pad I've ever used. I'm gutted that they moved to smaller ones.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Interested to know what you think of all the rumours about the Steambox being based on biometric technology, because if that really is the basis of this thing, then that's at least as smart as the Wii-mote. Your opinion as a media studies scholar particularly, if you please. : )

Fuck do I know. I'm only film-based to be honest!

Meh! Well... If the rumours are anywhere close to true, do you think it will improve gaming, or be seen as an eerie aside?

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It weirds me out a little, tbh. But hey, I'll try it. It can't be worse than my Kinect.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    But wasn't the thing we just discussed in the other thread the LACK of exclusives nowadays? Nothing is exclusive anymore.  Integrated media - yes. That's a thing. But if the WiiU could sort out a Lovefilm deal, I'm sure a Steambox could. Marketing budgets - do we even know what Valve's 'warchest' is? They don't tend to 'do' marketing, so I don't think we can really judge that. Even things like Portal 2 were published by EA.  Delayed PC ports - certainly something that has got better in the past year, and we're at a stage now where the quality of the PC ports are superior (TO CURRENT SYSTEMS)... Woeful controller support - WHY THE FUCK WON'T BLOOD MONEY PLAY WITH CONTROLLER ON PC. Ahem. Big Picture obviously first steps on that road.

I wasn't being entirely serious, but if this comes out anywhere near GTAIV it's going to look a bit awkward. Has there ever been a PC port of Madden?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, a living room friendly PC with a wacky OS?  

It's an Amiga 500. ~_~
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hunk's hit it on the head. If there's fuck all to differentiate the hardware (IF... Prove me wrong Kinect 2.0...) it comes down to the services. Valve already do a cleverly serviceable cross game chat and console overlay (hell I used it for Diablo 3!) and cheaper prices. What'll the others do?
    I'd still guess that this is just a PC in a box, it doesn't look like it'll be subsidised and Valve aren't likely to spend billions developing and marketing it. That leaves it as competition for traditional gaming PC's rather than consoles unless Valve pull something out of their hat.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    But wasn't the thing we just discussed in the other thread the LACK of exclusives nowadays? Nothing is exclusive anymore.  Integrated media - yes. That's a thing. But if the WiiU could sort out a Lovefilm deal, I'm sure a Steambox could. Marketing budgets - do we even know what Valve's 'warchest' is? They don't tend to 'do' marketing, so I don't think we can really judge that. Even things like Portal 2 were published by EA.  Delayed PC ports - certainly something that has got better in the past year, and we're at a stage now where the quality of the PC ports are superior (TO CURRENT SYSTEMS)... Woeful controller support - WHY THE FUCK WON'T BLOOD MONEY PLAY WITH CONTROLLER ON PC. Ahem. Big Picture obviously first steps on that road.
    I wasn't being entirely serious, but if this comes out anywhere near GTAIV it's going to look a bit awkward. Has there ever been a PC port of Madden?

If it comes out near GTAIV it'll be a fucking MIRACLE. TIME TRAVEL
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Oops. I mean GTA V of course.

If it is Linux, do we think EA will start releasing Linux versions?

I wonder what would happen to a console EA refused to support.
  • EA won't support it unless they can have a cut imo.

Wasn't half the Gamecube's problem that EA stopped supporting it after a while?
  • The Verge article on page 3 is giving me a malware warning, so I can't quote, but they were talking about it being open. You'd be able to install Origin and get EA games that way. I'm assuming that works if it is a PC running Linux they sell and you're willing to pay for and install Windows on it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    The Verge article on page 3 is giving me a malware warning, so I can't quote, but they were talking about it being open. You'd be able to install Origin and get EA games that way. I'm assuming that works if it is a PC running Linux they sell and you're willing to pay for and install Windows on it.

You know, despite all the extra cool futuristic shit that Valve could potentially do, the mere prospect of a well priced, hackable gaming machine, with concessions to the open source community I think, is more than cool enough.

Fuck it. Like you've just said, if worse comes to worse, and it folds, just load Windows or OSX on it.
    And if they've got their minds right on this, then it should be something that you can cart about in a rucksack, without having to fear for it's fragility.

Foolproof WLAN is also a must.

Believe me. This thing can rule...

But yes, it can also fold like a crap deckchair...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    With any luck it'll be a minimum hardware specification and a rating system on Steam. Like MS have continually tried and failed to produce. Added to that a fancy weird controller with some gimmick or other that'll be fully supported in Valve games and modestly supported elsewhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I wonder what would happen to a console EA refused to support.

Lack of EA support was one of the reasons given for the failure of the Dreamcast. Although, EA aren't the dominant publisher any more except for sports titles, so it may be a bit less of an issue. Did the Wii get the Maddens et al?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You know, despite all the extra cool futuristic shit that Valve could potentially do, the mere prospect of a well priced, hackable gaming machine, with concessions to the open source community I think, is more than cool enough.

Fuck it. Like you've just said, if worse comes to worse, and it folds, just load Windows or OSX on it.
    And if they've got their minds right on this, then it should be something that you can cart about in a rucksack, without having to fear for it's fragility.

Foolproof WLAN is also a must.

Believe me. This thing can rule...

But yes, it can also fold like a crap deckchair...

Out of interest, how do people expect this to compare to OUYA?

More competent developers, sounder business model, more business might, probable extra gizmos... But there's definitely a bit of an overlap.

But if it is an 'hackable gaming machine' that's 'portable' you're after - how does this compare - and what's wrong with a laptop (or PSP for that matter!)?

I'm dubious about this and OUYA to be honest: think they'll be fun but not obviously competitive with PC or Console. So worth a few bucks but probably not half a grand. Too early to say for sure though, given its all speculation!
  • I_R wrote:
    The Verge article on page 3 is giving me a malware warning, so I can't quote, but they were talking about it being open. You'd be able to install Origin and get EA games that way. I'm assuming that works if it is a PC running Linux they sell and you're willing to pay for and install Windows on it.
    Now this makes a bit more sense. Base console with Linux and Steam pre-installed. Dual-boot with Windows (tri-boot with Android?). Hope that the Linux offering gets enough traction from devs and consumers in the few years until Windows 9 (where Gabe fears a locked down desktop and everything funnelled through the Windows Store). 
    Then they've got a base to build on.

That gives Valve a bit of time to build up the Linux catalogue. It also convinces devs that its worth their time targeting games for that environment, since the install base will be there, even if nots being used that much. 

I'm a bit more optimistic that could work based on the assumption that iOS and Android will produce some kind of living room models in the coming year or two, stepped up in specs from the mobile devices they're on at the moment. Then you've got a case of open tools like Open GL being a better bet for building a game than Direct X. Since those three + Win 8 all support it. 

I doubt Valve would release, say, a Half Life 3 on Linux only but I'm sure they'd give it a few months exclusivity to encourage people on.  

It doesn't change the fact though that the day 1 purchase of the console without Windows on would be a poor proposition. They're just going to hope that whatever they can get going in the meantime is sufficiently compelling that consumers don't feel the need to install Windows 9. Or they could lock down future console iterations. 

So they've given themselves about 3-4 years to overturn nearly two decades of Microsoft dominance in PC gaming. Could happen. The problem is that a lot of games are sold to people with computers anyway. PC gaming is Windows based because most people have Windows. So the more the market diversifies away from Windows, the more Valve have an opportunity.

edit: Yikes that was longer than intended.
    tldr - an open console buys Valve some time to build up the amount of Linux games.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm dubious about this and OUYA to be honest: think they'll be fun but not obviously competitive with PC or Console. So worth a few bucks but probably not half a grand. Too early to say for sure though, given its all speculation!

My stance on Ouya has changed alot. I mean it's based on Android...

If I had Android tools and resources, I'd work towards creating mobile games... First, because there's a higher return of investment in targeting phones,
    and secondly it's frankly more rewarding...

We're starting to see some great mobile games these days, and it's only a matter of time before Android becomes the lead platform for mobile development (despite the pain of cross platform/SKU development). When that happens, the Ouya would be a good channel for a speculative port, but anything more than that seems unlikely...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    You know, despite all the extra cool futuristic shit that Valve could potentially do, the mere prospect of a well priced, hackable gaming machine, with concessions to the open source community I think, is more than cool enough. Fuck it. Like you've just said, if worse comes to worse, and it folds, just load Windows or OSX on it. And if they've got their minds right on this, then it should be something that you can cart about in a rucksack, without having to fear for it's fragility. Foolproof WLAN is also a must. Believe me. This thing can rule... But yes, it can also fold like a crap deckchair...
    Out of interest, how do people expect this to compare to OUYA? More competent developers, sounder business model, more business might, probable extra gizmos... But there's definitely a bit of an overlap. But if it is an 'hackable gaming machine' that's 'portable' you're after - how does this compare - and what's wrong with a laptop (or PSP for that matter!)? I'm dubious about this and OUYA to be honest: think they'll be fun but not obviously competitive with PC or Console. So worth a few bucks but probably not half a grand. Too early to say for sure though, given its all speculation!

i was just thinking the same think about the possible overlap between OUYA and a possible steambox...to the point i got a little crazy and thought "what if the linux stuff is gone and instead they built it on an Android platform?"...literally take the idea of OUYA and then valve-it!  it might mean valve have to get in bed with google, but maybe they see that as better than microsoft?  so you'd get a massively powerful android box, customised UI with Steam integrated, fixed hardware for optimizing drivers/game performance etc, and access to the play store so you instantly have access to a large catalogue of (admittedly mostly twee/tosh/unsuitable) stuff.
    that would also give them a bigger existing market to tap into in the form of all the android phone users..."when you next upgrade your PC, buy a steambox instead and it will magically tie up to your android phone and give you access to the steam gaming platform, home media player, yadda yadda"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If they went that road, they're better off doing an Amazon and just stripping all the Google out of the system. 

If it is open, it would be about a month tops before someone ports Android onto it anyways.
  • Has anyone brought up retail and generally how this thing would be sold yet?

They will have an uphill struggle getting retailers to stock or support it as they won't be making money on the games, other than pre-paid cards of course.
  • If the Steam box does everything I'm hearing about, I'll be converting straight over to it. Making it upgradable with a base level for games could be genious. Steams online system trumps pretty much any other at the moment, if it stays true to that whilst "consolising" the concept my living room will smile a 1000 smiles.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!