The Whisky thread
  • Aside from the awesome custom blend bottles from my secret santa I was also gifted a bottle of starward left-field.  Really looking forward to getting stuck into it when I get my sense of taste back.

• 9b9wymS.jpg

I got a bottle of this, and my SS Benriach. Opening soon.
  • Nazi whisky?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Nice hauls chaps!

I bought myself this:

IMG-5222.jpg

Also missed a very brief opportunity to get a glenfarclas 15 for a bargain price yesterday. Snoozed and loooosed.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Kilchoman is really tasty too.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Nice hauls chaps!
    Absolutely, Talisker Parley Wilder Seas and Red Spot especially are both bottles I wanna try. 
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Kilchoman is really tasty too.
    Yeah it's a good 'un, especially for the price. Their Sanaig is lovely as well, like Gremill says, great balance between peat and sherry. 

The Lagavulin 8 that I landed is pretty good as well - way more peat forward than the 16yo, 48% abv, and with no sherry maturation, just bourbon. It's one to look for if you like Ardbeg 10, Kilchoman Machir Bay, or Port Charlotte 10 - but only if you can get it for under £50, the regular price is kinda bullshit.
  • Just in case anyone still has booze funds after Christmas, Master of Malt have a "20% off everything" end of year sale.
  • Just in case anyone still has booze funds after Christmas, Master of Malt have a "20% off everything" end of year sale.
    Was just coming here to post that.
  • Bottle of Old Perth Cask Strength for £38 can't be sniffed at.
  • In the town where I work there's one of those cheap-looking wine shops with a tiny, unassuming frontage, that has a surprisingly excellent beer and whisk(e)y selection. When I was stocking up on BA imperial stouts and Belgian tripels/quads for Christmas I noticed their bourbon selection behind the counter included a few hard to get allocated bottles - including this E. H. Taylor Small Batch - for a good few quid cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.

Anyhoo, popped back in yesterday afternoon and picked this one up and it's a delight, a classic old-school profile full of butterscotch and toffee popcorn. I do drink bourbon fairly regularly, with Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Four Roses Single Barrel being my my go-to bottles, but I think I'm gonna try more American whiskey in general this year. Bourbons, ryes, corn whiskeys, single malts, whatever I can get that looks interesting. 

hPO04bo.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I love rye whiskey. I need to explore a few more different bottles of that I think.
  • Corn whiskey can be decent as well - buttery as hell.
  • Yeah I've spotted a couple of rye and corn whiskeys I wanna try, just need to bite the bullet and open my wallet. I've spent far too much on whisky over the last month.
  • So, I've been playing around with the idea of an infinity bottle for a while after seeing a few others have a go. Create a homemade blend of whiskies I'm enjoying that I think would work well together, then when I've consumed around 1/2 to 2/3 of the bottle, top it up with new whiskies I'm enjoying for a never ending and constantly evolving personalised blend.

I finally created the base version this evening after a thoroughly enjoyable session of sampling and combobulating. This is what's in it, the percentages aren't exact but they're as close as makes no difference; 

35% Arran Quarter Cask (bourbon cask Island, non-peated, 56.2% abv)
    25% Ardnamurchan AD/09.22 Cask Strength (bourbon and sherried Highland, medium-peated, 58.4% abv)
    15% Kilkerran 12 year old (bourbon and sherried Campbelltown, lightly-peated, 46% abv)
    15% Aberlour Casg Annamh (sherried Speyside, non-peated, 48% abv)
    10% Ardbeg Corryvreckan (bourbon cask Islay, heavily-peated, 57.1% abv)

Only had a couple of drams so far but holy shit it's a delicious, complex, and really well rounded beast of a whisky. There's honey nut cheerios up front, loads of dried fruits mid-palate, and a lovely lingering smokiness. 

Not gonna lie, I was more than a little hesitant about putting so much good whisky into a blend that might have been be a complete disaster (this experiment emptied my Arran QC and Ardnamurchan CS) but the result is well worth it. Really interested to see where it goes from here as right now I have no idea what I'll be adding to it next.

Who am I kidding, it's definitely getting some Ledaig 18.
  • I've been well into blending my own for a month or so. Mixed results of course but I'm a sucker for a new hobby.
  • Was following this guy's advice for a bit:

...but found it way to conservative so mostly did away with the dropper system early into my experimentation.  I remember Nick turning up smashed at a mate's house after a whisky blending day with a bottle he wasn't supposed to open, which had six different whiskys in it (iirc).  Tasted amazing.

I've bought loads of 20cl bottles and I've been doing my own marvellous medicines for a few weeks.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've been well into blending my own for a month or so. Mixed results of course but I'm a sucker for a new hobby.

Yeah I wish I'd done this a month or so ago for the sharing over Christmas. It's been a blast and at least in its current state is tasting superb. Will definitely keep this one going and will probably be up for more experiments.

Will give that vid a watch, cheers!
  • He kind of uses it as a way to make middling whisky taste better by adding small amounts of he goodstuff, but I've gone for a chuck it all in approach (assuming I think the flavours fit).
  • Same, go big or go home. But then I don't actually have anything I'd consider middling thb. I should probably buy some smaller bottles as well for future blends. This one has filled my old Arran QC bottle, but that's fine for a constantly topped-up infinity bottle.
  • Back on a couple of old favourites, and with the way bourbon prices have gone crazy these remain great value for such high quality products. Rare breed is just fantastic, that classic Wild Turkey mash bill but blended from older 6 to 12 year old bourbons at barrel proof for around £55. And then there's Four Roses Single Barrel, their high-rye recipe bourbon at 50% abv and full of black cherry and dark chocolate flavours for £45. Four Roses have 11 or so mash bills, but their single barrels are always this high-rye recipe, and it's a very different beast to their regular or small batch bourbons knocking around.

Definitely recommended as really good value, easily accessible examples of both classic and high-rye bourbon styles that are above and beyond the usual supermarket mediocrity. Plus, one's barrel proof and the others a single barrel. What's not to love?

F0SKkVj.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thinking of acquiring orange bitters as the Old Fashioned is quickly becoming my favourite mixed drink.

Woodford reserve I'm considering - any others?

Also - any plans for Burns Night supping?  We did one last year.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not orange bitters, but I love these as an alternative in old fashioneds.

5eac458a752d1.jpg
  • davyK wrote:
    Thinking of acquiring orange bitters as the Old Fashioned is quickly becoming my favourite mixed drink. Woodford reserve I'm considering - any others? Also - any plans for Burns Night supping?  We did one last year.

Orange bitters and a barspoon of Luxardo maraschino cherry juice (with a cherry on top, obvs) makes a stunning Old Fashioned. Woodford's absolutely fine, but Wild Turkey 101 is my pick for around the same price. 

I'll be sipping a lineup of Islay's on Burns Night, one from each of the distilleries I've got atm. Octomore 14.1, Laphroaig 16 year old, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Lagavulin 16, and Kilchoman Sanaig. Just a normal week night tbh...
  • Wait, now I need cherry bitters!
  • Also, I may have accidentally bought three more bottles of bourbon/whiskey while picking up a couple of weekend beers at that gem of a local bottle shop. All are new to me but I've seen them getting high praise from interweb folks, will report back tomorrow or Sunday after I've given them a go.
  • A lil bit late then. So I've been seeing Jack Daniel's premium releases getting huge love recently, and after getting a bottle of Bonded over Christmas and thoroughly enjoying it I thought I'd try the Single Barrel Barrel Strength that was worrying so many top 5 whiskey lists in 2023. 

It's bloody lovely, all boozy banoffee pie and vanilla ice cream with a good amount of oak. Must have drank half the bottle last weekend. 

YYktX6I.jpg

Anyhoo, happy Burns Night for anyone settling in for a few.
  • I’ve got that one. It’s great, but for some reason I always wake up with a headache the day after…

Gonna dig out a few choice drams for this eve. Cheers!
  • Lineup:

Talisker x Parley
    Laphroaig QC
    Ancnoc 18

Then we’ll see, maybe Glenlivet Nadurra to finish.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!