Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would suggest starting relatively central on that chart (hence the old pulteny recommendation), then branch out depending on the flavour profiles you enjoy.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    whisky-flavor-chart.jpg

Two of my favourites on there are the Mortlach and Dailuaine 16s. Looks like I'm a fan of rich, fruity and spiced whiskey.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Great chart that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4154/old-pulteney-12-year-old Grab this. It's a steal at that price and it's fucking delicious. Sweet with a tiny hint if salt. Plenty of complexity without being too challenging. Smooth as you like to. I can guarantee that if you like whiskey you'll like that. opnob.12yo.jpg

purchased. cheers
  • I've never really got into the leapfrog as I much prefer those from Ardbeg and Lagavulin, their next door neighbours (literally a few hundred yards between them all).  The old man absolutely loves it.

On Islay all the other distilleries sort of laugh at laphroaig until the conversation moves onto sales numbers.  Then the silence is deafening.
  • Laphroaig is an odd one because it seems like an acquired taste to me - as in maybe you'd move on to that once you're already into more straightforward stuff. But I know two non whisky drinkers who both love it.
  • Yeah you'd expect it to be an acquired taste. Even for Islay it's heavy on the smoke and medicinal flavours. For me 10CS tastes heavier on the peat than Ardbeg Corryvreckan and even the couple of Octomores I've tried - despite the Octo's being peated to WAY higher levels.

Don't remember the last time I bought one of Laphroaig's big sellers tbh, but I'd say the 10 Cask Strength, 16 year old, and Lore are objectively great whiskies and a match for anything coming off the island. I fist picked up a CS after watching a Whiskey Tribe vid where they gathered a bunch of US distillers to talk about their favourite drinks, with CS getting the nod from a good few. I mean, if this is the favourite whisky of so many craft bourbon/rye distillers it's gotta be worth a go, right? Turns out, yup.

Ardbeg Uigeadail and anything peated from Bruichladdich would be my next picks. Kilchoman are up there and are just getting better. Don't think there's a single distillery on Islay that I don't enjoy to some degree. Had some great Bowmore and Caol Ila's through indie bottlers as well.
  • +1 for Ugeadail. Was one of the first HOLY SHIT bottles I ever bought.
  • I always found it funny that Laphroig is the watchword for the peaty end of things, when I remember being told during visits there and to Ardbeg that Ardbeg was actually the peatiest of the Islay malts. I love the variety in all of them tbh.
  • Yeah, tbh I've heard that from a few people who know far more than me, but in side-by-sides with various other Islays, Frog CS always feel like it brings the peat game to a different level. I know stills and distilling methods can make a huge difference to perceived peat levels beyond the actual PPM, and maybe that's got something to do with it, or maybe it's just that particular Frog flavour profile that does such a good job on peoples taste buds. I dunno.
  • Anyhoo, infinity bottle update! 

The OG blend was great (35% Arran Quarter Cask, 25% Ardnamurchan Cask Strength, 15% Kilkerran 12, 15% Aberlour Casg Annamh, 10% Ardbeg Corryvreckan), and every time I get it to around half full I'll top it up with various other drams I think would work.  

Whiskies I've added in various amounts since then: Ardnamurchan AD, Balblair 12, Deanston 12, Auchentoshan Three Wood, Bunnahabain 12, Kilchoman Sanaig, Lagavulin 16, Ladaig 18, Port Charlotte SC:01. I've added more non-peated/lightly peated stuff than heavily-peated stuff, and while it's always been good the current state of the bottle is something else and is the most complex (obvs) yet balanced it's been. It's pretty malt forward with a moderate smokiness, some apple, pear, and citrus zest, and evolving into richer dried and smoked stone fruits. Just wonderful, and yeah I'd even take it over most of the individual bottles that went into it.  

Would heartily recommend this infinity bottle lark to anyone that hasn't already got one on the go.
  • Knew you'd have one!
  • Somewhere in a cupboard are 2 infinity bottles, unpeated and peated.  I should dig them out at some point but our house is a building site and I've no idea where they are (This might be a sign I've hoarded too much whisky).
  • Ooh, now that's an idea! Maybe I should start a non-peated bottle as well. Probably best to banish the "too much whisky" thoughts though. It's fine, don't worry about it.

Convincing myself by proxy here. Works like a charm.
  • Honestly the fist time I ever had just the regular Laphroaig 10yo I was fucking horrified. Didn't touch a peated whisky again for a decade.

These days it's my absolute favourite whisky.

Hahah, that's so weird. I had almost exactly the same experience - the 10 was the first whisky I ever tried neat and I didn't drink another dram until about 6 years later!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Lol, that's brilliant. Somehow missed this.

Anyway, I'm on the rye atm. Michter's single barrel rye needs no introduction, it's just a rock solid, well balanced, and stupidly easy drinking whiskey. Could finish the bottle in a sitting - kinda easy drinking. Good stuff, won't leave it so long before buying it again. 

Frey Ranch are a pretty awesome operation, a grain to glass farm distillery from western Nevada. This bottled in bond rye is made from 100% winter rye grown on their farm and bottled at the required 50% abv (obvs.) Yeah, a 100% rye mash bill is unusual but they wanted to showcase those grains. It's lovely, very grain forward as you'd expect with a fuckton of spice leading into vanilla and mint. Will buy again. 

Barrell Seagrass is something I've wanted to try for a while but accessibility in the UK isn't great, thankfully all the usual places just got a new drop! This outfit is part of the small but growing new wave of American blending houses, and this particular release is a combination of high-end American and Canadian rye whiskey that's then finished in Martinique rum, Madeira, and apricot brandy barrels and bottled at cask strength. It's incredible (bloody well should be at that price), a complex as all-fuck spiced tropical fruit punch kinda thing that I'm struggling to fully get my head around even after a couple of glasses. Stunning stuff and I might just put the rest up 'til summer.

k6UGKdT.jpg
  • I never really experiment with rye because the Bulleit rye I had recommended to me in here (when it was £20 a bottle iirc!) is still just about the nicest I've tried, and I've had one that was closer to £50.
  • Yeah you really can't go wrong with Bulleit rye for the price. It's a tasty drink, a 95%/5% MGP rye mash bill made for Bulleit in small batches, so minty pine and orange peel rule. Makes a good old fashioned as well. 

I'm a sucker for experimenting in general though, no matter how much I like a particular thing I'll always wanna try as many other similar things as I can.
  • For those who are into rye, I'd recommend Pikesville Rye.  Not the easiest to get hold of in the uk but its a lovely, spicy drop.
  • It really is lovely (my favourite low-rye rye), but every time I see it in the local bottle shop the price stops me from picking up another. Can't see as I'll pick up another Seagrass for the same reason.

Edit: Unless I get drunk and order one online.
  • As much as I appreciate variety Lidl's Abrachan is the only whisky I have to have in stock at all times. So drinkable and such a good price. It's gone up a couple of quid since it first appeared but I'd pay £5 more without batting an eyelid. When I'm pissed and do the 'what should I grab?' thing in the cabinet I reach for it far more regularly than the alternatives.
  • Never tried it but that's some recommendation.

The only whisky I get twitched about not having in is Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength, but as it's a special pour a bottle can last months. For more regular consumption there's nothing I have to have in, but I do have bottles I replace semi-regularly (two or three times a year instead of once every year or two). For Scotch it was just Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and Port Charlotte 10 for a long while, but in the last year or so Kilchoman Machir Bay and Ardnamurchan AD have joined them.

For bourbon it's been Four Roses Single Barrel and Wild Turkey Rare Breed, but as I've rushed out to replace my Woodford Double Oaked I s'pose that's another new addition to the list.

All great drinks at good prices and always easy enough to get.
  • Inspired by the rye chat in here I'm going to crack this open tonight after a shit week at work:
    PXL-20240301-123642201.jpg
  • Oh well now, that looks and sounds great. Let us know how you get on with it, MoM's single barrel, barrel strength picks haven't done me wrong yet.
  • It's an extremely brown booze.
  • It really is. I know colour isn't everything but I do love what a charred new oak barrel does to a whiskey.
  • Well. This might be one of the best American whiskeys that I've ever had (although I've not exactly had a lot of them tbf) - tastes like a bourbon that a wizard has turned into liquid caremalised wood.
  • Fantastic. I wonder if they have any left...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!