The Whisky thread
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Lineup: Talisker x Parley Laphroaig QC Ancnoc 18 Then we’ll see, maybe Glenlivet Nadurra to finish.

That sounds like a great lineup, definitely do the Glenlivet as well. Cheers!
  • I’m jealous of your Laphroaig 16, I tried that last time I was at a whisky fest. It’s tremendous!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Gonna swap out the Nadurra for this

f2f802db-0b05-4cda-89f9-f3a1fcf360ab.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Holy shit yeah that'll do! Super jealous.

The Daddy wrote:
    I’m jealous of your Laphroaig 16, I tried that last time I was at a whisky fest. It’s tremendous!

It really is a stunner, that and the 10 yo Cask Strength are at the top of my whisky tier list. I love anything smoky, but Laphroaig's peat profile just hits differently for me.

Actually, that Highland Park 17 year old, PX matured, single barrel, barrel strength pick from Master of Malt is high up the tier list as well. Gutted I'll never get to try another after I finish this bottle.
  • Check you two out with your fancy whisky. I'd really struggle to justify spending that amount on a bottle - not that I'm jealous of course.

Although, coming to the end of dry January I might treat myself.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I went on the hunt for a nice whisky yesterday but got sidetracked and ended up ordering martini/negroni stuff instead.  Will put here because the drinkingmans thread is probably on like page 3 and I know I'd scroll past it a few times before finding it. 

I've never had navy proof gin, so I thought I'd give this a go:

LINK

Probably tastes like turps but yolo.  

Also some tasty looking red vermouth and a snazzy dry one.
  • Distilled with kelp, water mint, sea buckthorn, and bottled at 60% abv? I'd give that a go, sounds great.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wasn't a huge fan of the single barrel JD but then I'm not that keen on the basic product. I do like Gentleman Jack though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Aye, Old No.7 is a mixer and nothing more, but give their banana-bomb distillate some age and attention and I'm completely sold. That Single Barrel Barrel Strength is one of my favourite new whiskeys in years, whodathunkit?

The other American whiskeys I picked up are pretty good as well. New Riff's single barrels have been getting rave reviews but the bottle shop didn't have one so I went for their bottled in bond straight bourbon. A high-rye mash bill adds some nice spice to the vanilla and cherry, and the more I drink the more I'm falling for it's charms (got a nice 750ml American bottle as well). Be prepared for that craft bourbon price-point though. 

Woodford Double Oaked is miles better than the standard Woodford, a vanilla and oak warm hug in a glass. Will probably buy another when I finish this one, although it does feel like it's maybe a tenner over priced. Maybe. But hey, only a tenner over priced is not bad for bourbon these days.

JIUqscY.jpg

CMY5vab.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. Might check the Woodford out as I like the standard offering.
  • You'll definitely like this if you like regular Woodford, Davy. I'd honestly sip it every night if it was mid-£40's rather than mid to high-£50's. It's not a complex bourbon, but it's so cozy and comforting.
  • I'd love to spend decent money on whiskey but a 70cl would absolutely go in a weekend if I'm given the chance.

I did get a bottle of my own blend, The Victor's Spoils, for my bday tho, a smokey, peaty 48.5%. First concocted last year at a whiskey experience where you can order repeat bottles of the same. But... it tasted different to how I remember, less peaty and slightly lower %. My wife enquired and the swines had used a different base as they'd run out of the original! All good tho as they apologized and sent me a second with a closer base match. Result.
  • Distilled with kelp, water mint, sea buckthorn, and bottled at 60% abv? I'd give that a go, sounds great.

Makes an absolutely banging negroni. Flavoursome with an extra slap.
  • Martinis now. That dry vermouth is incredibly dry.
  • I had my secret Santa dirty martini in a can tonight. Cheers.
  • Vom. Tried one of those twice, never ever again.
  • poprock wrote:
    I had my secret Santa dirty martini in a can tonight. Cheers.

Hope you drank it out of the Wipeout mug.

I was at a whisky festival yesterday. I have no memory of anything I tried (or getting home for that matter) but I've woken up to find a bottle of Ardnamurchan Sherry Cask that I guess I picked up at the end. Scared to look at my bank balance.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Classic whisky event experience!!
  • Just bought a bottle of the 2022 Fèis Ìle Big Peat Beach BBQ Edition. Never had any of the Big Peat bottles before, so looking forward to this one
  • It's 1st Feb and time to celebrate 31 days off the booze! The aforementioned Big Peat:
    PXL-20240201-161202307.jpg

Fuck me, this is lovely stuff. Sweet but smokey, some citrus fruitiness, a bit salty and a really long finish. Gorgeous cask strength (54.2%) blend - another hit from Douglas Laing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's great that you can personalize the bottle with a picture, too
  • The OG Big Peat was one of the first whiskys I bought from the top shelf (or more specifically, a different shelf to JD). Gave me the taste for a wallop I reckon.
  • It's great that you can personalize the bottle with a picture, too

I wish I was that good looking
  • That sounds fantastic, Grem. I am rather jealous.
  • Big Peat's a tasty one.

Finally braved the Sherry Cask Ardnamurchan I picked up at the festival last weekend (my liver has just about recovered from the 30+ drams I went through). What a delight at 50% - sweet and slightly peaty in good balance, a proper crowd-pleasing whisky.
  • Good stuff, tired the AD and a cask strength from Ardnamurchan last summer. Really, really good whiskies that instantly won me as a fan.
  • After that New Riff I thought I'd try a couple more American whiskeys from interesting smaller/craft distilleries. 

First up, Redwood Empire Lost Monarch, a 60/40 blend of their own straight bourbon and straight rye whiskeys. These guys are pretty cool and have a great rep, hailing from Sonoma County, California, they're focussed on sustainability - and partnered with Trees for the Future, they plant a new tree for every bottle of whiskey the distillery sells. This is really unusual in a good way with some light fruity notes I wasn't expecting - hints of granny smith's, orange zest, and err strawberry Fruitella. Srsly. Very nice though. 

nMyThTv.jpg

Then we have High West Prairie Bourbon. These guys are Utah's first distillery since the 1870's and 10% of the profits from this particular bottle go towards the American Prairie Reserve project in Montana. A blend rather than their own distillate, this is a mix of 3 to 13 year old bourbons reportedly including a couple from Four Roses and one of them their high rye recipe, I can believe it - there's some good black cherry and dark chocolate notes here with a nice dose of rye spice. Decent stuff, but it comes across a bit young and as far as high-rye bourbons go it's a good few steps down from the New Riff and not a patch on a Four Roses Single Barrel for the same price. 

I do love that bottle though, with its sloped bottom and full of tiny air bubbles. Turns out all these guy's bottles are made for them by a glass maker in Mexico who originally didn't want the gig as he was concerned about the "flawed" finish they requested. Legend has it the bottles are all hand blown, and maybe the early ones were but I can see the seams on this one so there's definitely some industrialisation going on. But hey, it's a good story. 

9Gf6Q4s.jpg

It's been many a year since I've tried this many American whiskeys and we're only just into February. I've gotta say, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.
  • Still blending my own. Started making a blend to go with whatever weird film is picked for my occasional Friday WhatsApp film nights.

20240202-200547.jpg

Film [5]
    Blend [9]

This might be me favourote concoction yet. Half filled with Abrachan, then a double dribble of Ben Bracken, then some Ledaig sinclair series, topped up with Ballatines. All gone.
  • Love that idea, the blend sounds great as well.
  • Got a bottle of Talisker Storm from MoM, who are selling it at £20 off for £25. It's really nice, not quite as smokey as the OG but a really good mix of smoke and sweet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!