New Year's Resolutions
  • Outlaw wrote:
    New job, get fitter, make a big dent in my deposit savings, and start learning sign language.

I don't think I've ever stuck to a new year's resolution though!

I've got some Sign Language books you can have - think one of them is SL go' Dummies, comes with a Cd as well. Pm me your address if you want. My school is the areas hearing impaired provider as well.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    comes with a Cd as well.

?
  • They're like mp3s for discerning folk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You mean FLAC? Why didn't you say so?
  • Spend more time with daughter and wife.
    Play more games.
    Go on more recording trips.
    Work less hours but more effectively.
    Do more next gen audio shizzle.
    Drink a bit less.

Ongoing from last year :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Recording trips? Audio shizzle? What is it you do if you don't mind me asking? I'm very much into field recording and music production and the like.
  • Aren't we all unconvicted rapists?
  • I should hope not!

Thank you so much stoph, that's really nice of you. Resolution 1, off to a good start!
  • Recording trips? Audio shizzle? What is it you do if you don't mind me asking? I'm very much into field recording and music production and the like.

I do audio stuff for games, but making hologram records sounds like it might be fun too.

Is your work in audio? I don't get out to do field recording as often as I'd like but I love it when I do, it's always an adventure.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    I should hope not!

Thank you so much stoph, that's really nice of you. Resolution 1, off to a good start!

Have to wait until 6th Jan though as I'm not in work until then. I'll send you a list of useful websites as well.

I do audio stuff for games, but making hologram records sounds like it might be fun too.

Is your work in audio? I don't get out to do field recording as often as I'd like but I love it when I do, it's always an adventure.

Ooo game sounds, cool! That's an area I've been thinking of getting into actually, don't quite now the best way of going about it yet though. I've been meaning to post in one of the threads(maybe the gubbins thread) to ask about the future of game audio, and whether the dedicated audio chips in the new consoles will make a significant difference to the 3D 'sound-scape' in games. I'll do that soon, maybe make a game-audio discussion thread, talk about favourite game soundworlds, bit niche perhaps. :P

I don't work in audio yet, in college at the moment, thinking of going into foley or similar. I do like field recording, got a pretty massive sample collection now. :)
  • Awesome! I've been at it a little while (head of audio dept now) so I'm always happy to help others into the industry with advice or feedback, it's hard enough to get in.  A friend gave me tons of advice and feedback when I was starting out so I try and do the same.  Feel free to PM me anytime or just start a thread :)
  • Billy is a talented boy...and very modest!

(and has an awesome star wars jacket!)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    - Cut back on weed
    - Cut back on alcohol
    - Get a job
    - Write more and send some stuff out for possible publication.
  • Some of these have been resolutions for the past many many years. Might as well keep them on the list.

1. Read less crap on the daily commute and replace with other stuff I've always wanted to read like history books, biographies etc. Or play more handheld games on the commute to reduce back catalogue.

2. Start coding (again) and get a game onto iOS app store by end of year.

3. Buy fewer games, only essentials, make severe headway into pile of shame. Try to eradicate the hoarding urges and dont buy massive collectors editions.

4. Be more health consious, go gym regularly. Already started this, aim is to be similar weight by end of year, but lower body fat percentage.

5. Reduce god damn credit card debts. Related to number 3.

6. Get out and do more photography.

7. Do more thinking about possible career change or second stream of income.

I think that'll do. For now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • - Write more. Actually submit the stuff that I write.

- Get Distinctions for my MA credits.

- Read more. Read better.

- Stop wasting money.

- Win Evo.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Of the things I will most likely suck and fail at.

1. Stop smoking and

2. train almost daily.

Training warrants a fuck tonne of food. And also a fuck tonne of monitoring. Which I am most likely not to maintain. But we'll see. Another year and all... Of the things I will succeed at.

3. Publish and present three papers,

4. write a workshop,

5. cut down on news,

6. meditate,

7. see more family,

8. maintain home (bin junk stored in attic, 8 monitor svga 64MB gfx card anyone?).
    1. Kinda, but only a few months back did I get on ecigs.

New - work down to 0% nicotine or as close to

2. Nowhere near, in fact round it down and say I've done none.

New - invoke this this year else die feebly and far too young, for sure. 

3. Done, done, done.

New - batter the journal circuit.

4. Done, and gone further by taking a qualification in Higher Ed.

New - Finish the qualification, apply for jobs moving forward.

5. Done and I went further and stopped reading comments. On this I note I read comments where it mattered, and only mattered. I couldn't stop the news when I wasn't involved- rolling when at someone or somewhere but heck I can't even be arsed to look into something unless it's awesome or truly awful.

New - bin the coax cable, make the TV a monitor.

6. Done but like the ecig a little late to this and I miss days.

New - Meditate and get on a retreat.

7. Done, but seen less of my blue blood as a result. In fact not seen sis and fambo since less crimbo.

New - see even more family, it's a drug what can I say.

8. Well, it's maintained!

New - perhaps begin the serious overhaul and prep for sale.

That's me!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Okay, then:

1 - Learn more about programming
    2 - Learn to play a keyboard and remix music
    3 - Start running again
    4 - Hire a skip and throw away (or sell) the things I no longer need
    5 - Make more time to play games with forumites, especially the fightman ones
    6 - 1080p

(Unrealistically, I'd like to find a new job working from home, and - conversely - to get out socially more often.)
  • Number 1 for me us to sort out my finances. Clear the debt and have savings for the first time ever.

Plus maybe make another game seeing as Skerret has finished his phd pretty much.
  • 1. Edit my novel and get it published.
    2. Write more, get other stuff published.
    3. Start exercising regularly, be more healthy in general.
  • Quite an odd article for a newspaper to carry.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's true. I gave up on news a long time ago. I wouldn't say 'happier', though. Less annoyed, sure.

• I have been trying to give up News for a while now. 
    Stopped picking up the Metro, that did wonders for stress levels. I still default to BBC but tend to just read the sub-sections like Tech or scan headlines and move on.

"YOU MUST GET OUT OF THE HOUSE" lol
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm disconnecting the Internet at home too, I forgot to mention.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh yeah and I'm gonna step up my one day a week veggie to one day a week vegan.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Cutting down on news. Beano knows.

I ran into a lad from my past, about seven years ago. I had a paper under my arm. I hadn't seen him for years and before the catch up he told me not to bother with that shit as it will only depress.

Anyway, all this time later did I take his advice.

He's right ofc.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm open to suggestions of other new years resolutions too.
  • Stop being late for absolutely everything.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Twice!

Okay, if I'm going to be late- I'll cancel instead.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!