Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You've got me stumped with some of Yoshi's oki, there, Rouj. I generally know when he's vulnerable in stances from the old games, but some of his tracking caught me out a few times. You were delaying until I'd siderolled to realign for follow-ups?

I didn't have many problems when I kept it long and er... dry, but he was gypping me in the pocket quite a bit. He's supposed to be pretty good in this version, right? He's rolled with the bears for time.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Weekend business:

Lag feels good on five blues, but pretty bad on four greens. Seems like a jump from ~4f to 8+.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Sit down and get comfortable, @Roujin

WR+3,4 used to B! on hit, but now it just knocks down. This nerf was addressed twofold: it's now plus on block (about 4f at worst, I think), and you can cancel its recovery into Hitman. HMS reduces the recovery on several of Lee's moves, but makes him momentarily more vulnerable if you read it and press buttons.

In the above case, though, I'm using the blockstun to safely throw out 1,4. Why? Because the 1 interrupts almost everything, and the 4 tracks while being -8 on block (Yoshi can escape at the cost of life!). 3's a Power Crush, but high, and 4's a low, but minus a million on block. If you try sidestepping you'll be followed by the 4 of 1,4, and you can block it, but not punish it. At that point, because of the previous WR+3,4, Lee's at a totally safe range to continue pressuring.

So your best option is to crouch for a short period. If I try HMS+1,4 or 1,1 you can WS punish; if I try 3 it whiffs; and if I try 4 you'll block it for a launch. It's only once you know all of this that you'll start thinking about crouching, and that's when I can cancel into mids to punish...

HMS is also really good at the wall. Most top players like to go W! > combo > f+3+4 or u/b+3 for oki. You can also try a crossover hop, and if you're getting up at the time, the kick resets you for a juggle in the opposite direction. But the timing's super-tight, and of course I have to rely on you playing ball. It's a really high-risk gamble, very hard to do, and it leaves Lee against the wall on minus frames if he mistimes it. 95% of the time you'll see Lee players taking the guaranteed oki of f+3+4 or u/b+3. The former's plus on block, and though it doesn't track, it locks you down if you sideroll into it.

In terms of the W! itself, there are slightly more damaging options than mine, but I like a trademark, and there's a smart reason for it... 4,3,3 isn't ideal by itself at all, but the follow-up d/f+4's guaranteed (even though the combo counter ignores it), and that cancels in HMS. So if you stay down I can press 4 and sweep you; or if you sideroll, I can use 1,4 to force a tracking block with 4. It allows Lee to keep the pressure on, and it'd be pretty awesome if not for Rage Arts. RAGE ARTS AREN'T TEKKEN

I mutter at myself erytime I walk into one. I still just don't expect them to be there. Anyway, in former Tekkens, Lee'd be even better at the wall thanks to this way into Power Crush 3. In Tag 2, I found that he could punish Tag Crash with a sidestep after f+4,3 at the wall. That was a pretty terrible option by itself, but it was one of the few enders with fast enough recovery to sidestep in time, and it had a good visual cue.

Back to this game: 1,3:3:3 is no longer a proper just-frame (I think it's now 2f per link), and it's fully punishable if I do all three kicks on block (first one's -11, then -10, then -16). Ditto 2,2,3, where you confirm the second 2 before the 3, but I sometimes throw out the lot because 3 has delayed timing (safe on block). If I were playing in a tournament, I'd reserve 1,3:3:3 exclusively as a 10f punish (32 damage), and otherwise keep 1,2,4 as my go-to (old-school Dark Res). As an 11f kick that's safe on block, 4,4,4's a great panic button, but it's obviously incredibly unsafe if the other dude's on point with WS punishes.

Oki's not nearly as effective in this game, and Lee — formerly one of the best at it — suffers a bit. After his slide, the best thing is to tap backwards. If he does the guaranteed 3, that'll put you completely safe. The only warning against that is if there's a wall behind you. If he doesn't do the 3, it's actually quite hard for him to generate pressure, even though he can dash right up to you. He doesn't recover ahead of you soon enough to try anything fancy after a slide. I've spent ages in the lab looking for a replacement to the tech I used to have, and none of it works any more. The slide itself is scary, but the follow-ups are weak.

His knee's unsafe on block, but deceptively hard to punish on whiff. You'll see even the best Lees throwing it out in neutral, but they're trying really hard to space it so that it either hits a dashing opponent, or whiffs if they just approach without dashing.

That's a decent primer for the things that I abuse against you.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh, and Lee can launch > juggle > S! > dash > b+2~f (1+) > W! > combo. I was trying for it last night, but I kept dropping the pickup after S!. He can carry you the entire width of a walled stage! The thirst's real.

I'd like to land Mist Trap (3,3:4) more often, but that is a real just-frame (else it'd be overpowered), and it's a long delay between the 3s and 4, so even harder online. And I should be using his somersault in juggles (6:50), but again — online.

[edit]

I see Yoshi's a fan of the Pissquat at 1:23 and 2:10, plus RA.
  • That is long. 

Will sit down and digest at some point. 

My main issue was getting fooled by the knee, it looks so unsafe! But it had just enough pushback to make 1 whiff and then my second 1 was getting counterhit!

Re oki stuff, I dunno if you noticed but there was a couple of times where I was getting up when I did the forward leap and then hit you with a jab even though you blocked the dive. Turns out Yoshi and other characters that have that dive (3+4) when face up feet towards on the floor are +1000000000 frames if the dive is blocked and the jab is guaranteed to hit afterwards and float the opponent. Don't email Harada. 

I'll get there in the end. I do enjoy Yoshi especially when the silly/gimmicky stuff manages to work, just a matter of reading up and finding out what his go to pokes/punishes are.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Don't email Harada.

Aye, Captain No-Team. Three things are missing for me (not counting the removal of RAs): online co-op in Ranked Team Battle; a reduction in its brutal load times; and Baek.

For loading, I'd be happy with a same-characters, same-stage quick rematch as a workaround. We could play two or three matches on the same stage until we fancied a change, and that'd cut our waits by two-thirds.
  • Infil is the sauciest motherfucker

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He is, but I can't watch more than a few minutes of it any more. It's not the worst fightman ever, but it is the worst that's been given the time of day.
  • It is just deeply unlovable isn't it. We need a new middle-pace 2D vs-fighting hero and no one is making a remotely interesting one, or are they??
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dunno. FighterZ looks like an update of that funky SNES game you had.

I'm still waiting for Mattel vs. Hasbro. Tag-team Boglins.
  • It's ArcSys so it's too hyper. I need measured pokefests.
  • Escape wrote:
    He is, but I can't watch more than a few minutes of it any more. It's not the worst fightman ever, but it is the worst that's been given the time of day.

But it's really quite fun. Different strokes and all that but I've had some great games online and it's fun to watch the top tier players as well. I could easily put together a huge list of ways it could be better but I still found it to be a very solid game.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I can't remember what Lee's options are after the wallbreak, @Roujin! iWS+2,3 maybe; WS+1 into... I'll have to look that up.

I fluffed quite a few inputs tonight, but literally warmed up once I'd put the heating on. Proper cold hands, like. I think I'm getting the hang of Yoshi now, I just don't know whether to sidestep or sidewalk his unblockables (sidewalk, right?). One of 'em looks like I have to dash under it — his helicopter business?

Longest wait ever for a low at the end, eh.
  • Yeah most of the sword stuff is linear for the unblockable attacks. I think you can do either. His debugger has tracking but no range.

Games were good, think I'm getting better at finding out his poke ranges. Felt like i hit a lot more of his db4, df4, and ddf4 pokes than last week. I was also trying to work on my stepping and sidewalk action, think i managed to hit one or two side grabs with it so that's improvement. At some point I'll bother to look into his go to moved for picking up damage off stuff like his backfist, atp and f4 when they counterhit into corkscrew floats.

Titting about with his stances is just too much fun though, whether it works or not I'm usually laughing at what I'm seeing. Will endeavour to get the stream back up at some point, having a blast with Yoshi in this, feels like back in his T3 days when I first picked him up.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I was Hard Target Van Damme last night: kept picking the wrong tool for the job. Quite a few drops, too. I'm just not playing well consistently, and it's annoying me. Maybe it's age and I don't have the concentration these days, but I'll play individual rounds (sometimes matches) doing the right stuff, and then... I keep losing my discipline or something.

I landed that extended juggle on Saturday, but the wallsplat was point-blank, so I decided to give up damage for oki:

I included the fight after to show what it looks like when I'm playing a decent game: proper spacing; safe confirms; and a kind of invisible wall that makes you think twice about advancing. That's the beauty of Tekken: it's not really about who's safe, it's about who can sell it. I need to stop being lazy and keep moving. Oh, and some of my RAs last night were in response to actual moves, they just didn't come out in time and left me looking like a nub.

It's a shame I can't play randoms to learn any other characters, but Lee's hurt more than most by lag, and the majority of my random matches are always laggy. My win rate ends up in the 50s rather than the 80s of old. GIVE US CO-OP (and Baek)
  • Was I the only one in the Dragon Ball Fighter Z beta then?

Game is really fun.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • From the eurogamer review

Cons: No xmen (due to licensing issues), 4/30 female cast, drab visual direction, absent tutorial

Pros: Fight system is on point.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Not touching it, as per usual.

Though I did just pickup what seems to be the fastest input lagless 'puter monitor going (the Acer R271), so summat is stirring in me yet.
  • hunk wrote:
    From the eurogamer review

Cons: No xmen (due to licensing issues), 4/30 female cast, drab visual direction, absent tutorial

Pros: Fight system is on point.

The art direction is particularly horrible. Very bland designs and even the way the fighters move looks bland.

SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Female count isn't a problem, style is. Poole makes the mistake of a comparison to 2, but let's be honest, sweaty draughtsmen flocked to T&A spritework in those days. Of all series, Dead or Alive 5's Mila's the closest to an effort, really. I'd take just one woman if she were a muscular tank who worked on a building site or whatever.

Capcom can blame the source material all they like, but She-Hulk was such a waste of potential. They'll never cast a not-hot female in the films, either. The furthest they ever go is a bit Ser Meryn for their fans' persuasions.

Kunimitsu's okay, Panda's amazing, and at least Julia has a story that's not just about going to feckin' school.

Helga.png
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wow. Problem X has really found some form (EGX)...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Aye, I was worried he would choke but he made it through that game!

Also here I am definitely annoying Escape with some TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIDO.

• Just read Ultra on Switch sold more first week than the new mahhhhvel did. Yeeeesh.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Look at Roujin's handpicked testimony!

In fairness, I can't use Hei very well at all online. He has great CH buttons, but no panic buttons, and most of his scary stuff needs breathing room to set up. It's like he has a lot of moves that absolutely win if the opponent does one of three things, else he gets punished.

I'd swear that his RA's slower than Lee's, but it's not — I've just checked. I kept missing it as a punish for some reason.
  • https://youtu.be/iSgA_nK_w3A

The oldest of old news for you guys, probably but I found this interesting. Sf5 wow. Seems a bad idea to cater it to cack handed old folks like me.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I have no issue with one-button specials in practice, and have long wanted links squashed entirely (as opposed to just making them easier).

The core issue that produces spectacle-vs-comp?? question at all is that vs-fighters are very resources intensive to do at all, let alone well, and the field has been shrinking for a while now, - vets are basically cornered into putting up with what the hyperbrands are deciding on in the absence of much else. There is literally no other new SF-like SF game they could be playing at present, afaik. There's no equivalent of a plucky indie scene pumping out Splelunkies or loveletters to Cave shooters etc.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    have long wanted links squashed entirely

My continued failure to nab Roujin with Lee's Mist Trap demands improved netcode first (of course it's the netcode!). I reckon a new Soulcalibur'd be unplayable to a high level online at this point. Despite the vast improvement in pipes, I'd swear that latency's worse now than it was ten years ago. Not to mention T7's routine disconnections. Still better than WebGuy's, mind; The Retirer of Men.

Because more people are online, obviously, and there are only so many wires between us. I mean, I used to find ~120ms pings in Operation Flashpoint with dial-up, while those on 1Mb could find sub-20s. Through a combination of awful matchmaking and global traffic, typical pings in Uncharted 4 are probably in the hundreds.
  • That's also pertinent, yeah. I couldn't possibly take these games srsly if my only real option for comp was online, doubt is too corrosive.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!