General Bear Knuckle
  • That's entirely why I'm qualified to judge.
  • A top post... for me.
  • Execution wise, DBFZ is pretty easy.

There are a few combo routes that involve multiple command normals in a row that might accidentally result in a qcf move instead, and pressing one button too many times may initiate an auto-combo, but other than that it's straight forward.

Teching out of blue combos is done by holding any of L M or H while being hit.

Jump, and Super Jump cancelling is probably the most difficult thing to do consistently.

You can prevent auto-combos by holding back while repeatedly pressing L or M (assuming you have no command normal on back).
  • I mean, personally speaking, I don't think there's too much to learn in this game tbh, having played at both ends of the learning shit for fightmen pool, either learning hella movesets in Tekken or learning mechanics in GG. 

In the end, all of the tools in DBFZ are just options, the more tools you learn the more options you have at your disposal to control the match. Imho that is the biggest advantage these types of games have over other fighters. It probably takes a few weeks for all the options to sink in and then you have to get them into your muscle memory so you don't have to think about what you should be doing next, but after that, it's all good, particularly in the case of GG where the defensive options available are extensive and I really miss having them in DBFZ! 

The biggest turn off for most I think and what I also found is that these early days games against randoms can feel very scrappy, like dudes are just constantly looking for run up 2m into stuff or raw air dash combos or raw super dash into stuff. It reminded me a lot of the 'flowchart ken' days just after Vanilla SF4 dropped when people were coming from other games into SF4 and getting blown the fuck out by random dp's because people hadnt learned how to bait and then punish that style of play yet.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    There are a LOT of options in this game.
    I think it's too early to suggest the skill level will plateau before long...

I mean, I'm no expert, but there are so many weird corners to this system, that I can imagine different aspects of it trending from time to time...

Like, Shenron as a mechanic seems as dumb as hell, but it made it in, and there are multiple routes to invocation... Quite a few of the systems are like that...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I hope at some point the meta becomes about who can summon Shenron at the right time.

Reviving a character, restoring all current characters health, giving a second Sparking and full meter (massive buff) are all huge.

Can't remember what the fourth option is.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Was watching some Chris G games yesterday... 

The craziest thing?
    An exchange of roughly 5 teleports for space advantage, that ended in a 30+ hit combo.

*Mind. Blown.*
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, played online for the first time yesterday.

Got absolutely battered, as is customary for online fighting game communities these days.
    And it took hours (over 1 minute ~.~) to get a match, but the match was a smooth as eggs.

Undoubtedly better than what I went through with SF5... so far at least.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    smooth as eggs.

Eh?
  • You ever stroke an egg, boy?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently not.
  • Also, played online for the first time yesterday.

Got absolutely battered, as is customary for online fighting game communities these days.
    And it took hours (over 1 minute ~.~) to get a match, but the match was a smooth as eggs.

Undoubtedly better than what I went through with SF5... so far at least.

Yeah team big bodies are getting fuuuuucked up. Think I'm 2-12 atm. Matches feel like a scramble right now, especially as the game doesn't seem to give you much reward for blocking, at least not in a traditional sense of block and punish at the end of a combo because you can stop any combo early and just hit dragon rush and get a guard break into combo anyway. So it's waaaay more about good movement and knowing your counterattack options.

There are some good vids on YouTube from Max, behrudy and jmcroft that cover a lot of good basic stuff.

I totally suck at using assists having never played a 3v3 so I'm forever forgetting to switch out safely!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    How many here are still Tekken men
  • I played Tekken 2.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I am still a tekken boi in my heart
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This game's got it absolutely right. Something it there for everyone.
    Top level play is a joy to watch too:

I'm playing story mode right now...

I'm not a DBZ fan... I think the exposition is shit (so far), but it's pleasant enough, skippable, and well structured. The whole package is very worthy of the HYPE.

And the system's slowly beginning to sink in.
    Not really chosen a team yet, but so far, Teen Gohan, Gotenks, and Yamcha, possibly...

Though Fat Buu is a top laugh to play as...
  • Fat Buu looks super fun. If I didn't have A16 on anchor duties so I can shout the lyrics to space jam continuously whenever he is in then I would probably run a Ginyu, Nappa, Buu team. 

The one thing I really miss though, is that the migration away from forums is really taking its toll on finding good collated chunks of info. Scouring Reddit, Twitter, Discord, bleh it's just not the same.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I miss Neo Empire alot.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, Punk, the badass that he is... Sounds just like Urkel.

It's uncanny.
  • Best
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ha, four times in a row is a V exclusive.
  • Itabashi Zangief and FAB probably have something to say about that.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Four times is Diet Dubs.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • Even Mr. Wizard knows he can't possibly get enough McRibs for all the shilling he'd be doing by including MvCi after it got buried.

Melee I think will be there for the foreseeable, although it does grate that it's a car crash, matches take forever and why the hell can't we have 3rd Strike again? It brings in the cash, so its staying. I guess once ninty drop a switch smash bros the two smash communities might come together but I don't fucking care tbh, it's not a fighting game, come at me haters, etc.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd like Nintendo to bring out a Switch version, just to consolidate and bin the rest. None of us have anything against it, really, but it needs to respect the whole viewership by not dragging so much. With the exception of SF5, no other game has that luxury. And in fairness, jank as it is, the latter's the main game.

I'd like to think that this might wake Capcom up a bit, but I doubt it. Go home and make Street Fighter VI!

[edit]

Ha! I just popped into the kitchen for some food and didn't refresh for yours, Rouj. Yeah, same.
  • At US Majors, MvC:I has consistently had higher numbers of entrants than other games that got in, so Mr. Wizard's reasoning is bullshit.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's definitely a weird one in that way. I know a few people who enjoy playing it, but no-one who enjoys watching.

SF5's the reverse: only a few of us play it, but most of us watch its finals.
  • At US Majors, MvC:I has consistently had higher numbers of entrants than other games that got in, so Mr. Wizard's reasoning is bullshit.

Mr Wizard got more than just the US scene to think about these days though. He wants that max cpm, he knows that MvCi isn't going to give him it. I will be sad to see mahvel gone, because MvC3 was one of my favourite things to watch, but Capcom really dropped the ball with the sequel. I think they'd have been better off just staying within their means and using the money to better develop SFV.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!