Finances.
  • So you didn't Elec-t to start there?
  • He lacks the spark of intellect, so Mcjob it is.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    While we're on electric I felt an urge to build a Tesla coil the other day!

Anybody know of any decent, easy to build kits? Preferably one that wouldn't kill me!
  • Don't know of any kits but it's not that hard to build loads of simple build threads on the net. My missus won't let me build one with the kids in the house so until I have a garage I'm buggered.
  • £120 a month! I was paying that a quarter 2 years ago and I wasn't happy, there was no gas in the flat either so all heating was produced by electricity.
    It might have been a remarkably efficient flat, but that doesnt take into account my missus on the mac while I am pew pewing away on the xbox all day.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I edited the bill text for one of the power companies once, can't remember which one. Whoo, fun anecdote there.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    @moto

I know how you feel though tbh I've not met that many people who don't feel like their worth more than they are paid and most workers feel like they bring something unique that saves money or adds value.

When I first started work we had a Consultant Chemist who earned a fuckton and got commission on every product we sold.  I've personally developed and formulated tons of products and yet I don't get fuck all and that's despite one of them contributing the largest % of sales for nearly a ten year period, I don't even want other about how many millions that is.  I've also accepted that despite my own contribution, every other fucker to take credit for it.  I had an MD who after nearly 2 years had no clue what I'd done because my boss never told him. Formulate? The MD didn't even think I could run a basic comparison test.  

I do ok salary wise but I wouldn't discuss it at work except for those I'm close to providing I know their on a similar wage.  As a long term employee I know more than most others salaries and the differences in many cases given the skill sets and contributions is scary but that's not unusual in a lot of businesses.

If I've learnt one thing, skills do not always pay the bills, the quicker you accept and learn to play the politics game the better.  And on the whole, back stabbing wankers really do go further - it's all a question of your own moral compass.
  • We too are with the racist, alien giant bug fighting, energy supplier that is EDF. I have no qualms with them, in fact they were quite encouraging in suggesting I switch to the Blue+ Price Promise when our last fixed tariff ended. This was all done via their website and our monthly direct debit reduced as a consequence.

I would argue that you are entitled to pay whatever you desire per month as your only obligation is to cover the annual bill. They would prefer you to cover more per month for energy you've yet to use as it swells their coffers nicely, but it does help to spread the cost so no denying the benefit.

Back on finances, our company has, in an effort to make pay more transparent, introduced wage banding. Only the banding is quite generous, so the one I'm in has a min-max of ten grand, and these bands overlap so an employee near the top of band B could be on more than an employee in band C. I partially understand the logic, but I'm not a fan.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • If I've learnt one thing, skills do not always pay the bills,
    Oh I have learnt this too lol.
    What I do is no harder or simpler than programming, a lot of people in my proffesion come from a similar starting point as coders and are pretty similar but I know on average a codey can except 50%-100% more pay at the same level. Which I am fine with, I chose my path they chose theirs, we all work hard and have worked hard to get where we are.

What annoys me more is people who have no actual skill or trade (I consider sales a skill) earning more than those who are skilled. Found out the receptionist at my (soon to be ex) work is on £18k minimum, she has no skills or responsibilites beyond answering the phone/door, booking meetings and meeting rooms, getting in the tea and coffee stuff.
    I was on £20k with a degree and extensive knowledge of about 5 different pieces of software plus design and animation skills.

(sorry, rant there, I may vent a bit over the next few days while I settle into being redundant)
  • What annoys me more is people who have no actual skill or trade (I consider sales a skill) earning more than those who are skilled. Found out the receptionist at my (soon to be ex) work is on £18k minimum, she has no skills or responsibilites beyond answering the phone/door, booking meetings and meeting rooms, getting in the tea and coffee stuff.

She should come and work in finance.  Loads of people where I work with no notable skills that earn at least double that.
  • Lol.
    I should probably add that although she does a perfect example of a receptionist job her title is "PA to the Director", the director spends 90% of his time in America, you can't be a PA to someone if you're not even in the same bloody time zone!
  • Kill her and wear her skin.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Hide her in the stationery cupboard without food for a week though first, makes her easier to peel...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy knows stuff.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Kill her and wear her skin.

I'm a fatty but it would still be a loose fit.
  • At my last job I personally made the company sales of over $1 million. I got told this in my review 8-9 months after starting. I was one sales assisstant of about 40-50.

I can't imagine what I made them that whole year, as it only got busier.

No commission. £7-8 an hour. Can't say I didnt love the job though, but it's hard to keep it going.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    At my last job I personally made the company sales of over $1 million. I got told this in my review 8-9 months after starting. I was one sales assisstant of about 40-50. I can't imagine what I made them that whole year, as it only got busier. No commission. £7-8 an hour. Can't say I didnt love the job though, but it's hard to keep it going.
    Sales is a difficult one to get right. There is such a difference between being a sales person and a sales assistant. I couldn't do sales as my poker face is shit and generally I'm not keen on idiots whereas one of my mates is absolutely shit-hot at selling, I've already said I would employ him if I'm ever in a position to do so as he is such a nice bloke and this comes across instantly so combined with a cracking sales technique he has always done well.

I also think that a sales person actually sells a product to you whereas a sales assistant simply takes your order?

A bloke I worked with bought a new Fiat and he said the woman selling it to him was absolutely fucking useless, didn't know anything about the current advert/offer that was running and knew less about the car than even his own wife did. I was dumbstruck at how this person even had the job because despite my disdain for the unwashed I think I could have done a better job, mind you I'd probably suck at sucking as I'm guessing this must have played a part in her being there.
  • I hate sales with a passion. And marketing. And advertising. In my theoretical, utopian economy, i like to think that rather than paying people to make something sound better than it actually is, and then paying more people to persuade others they need things they don't actually want, we could instead just pay people to research the things they'd like with the same end result, only minus the manipulation. Of course, you'd need a different way of circulating the money, but what an enjoyable job that would be?
  • Progress often comes from people developing a good idea. Later on, marketing comes into it. 

Your way round puts the cart before Henry Ford's faster horse.

I have no idea if that last sentence makes sense but I know what it means.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Researching what people want is one thing, but the thing that made Apple what it is today was creating things that people didn't know they wanted. After Microsoft's failed attempts, I don't think market research would have shown many people crying out for tablets.
  • What were you selling, Jelly Belly?
  • monkey wrote:
    Progress

...is pretty subjective. In this instance, I'm favouring a perceived societal or organisational progression over a technological one. Although i'm sure all three can occur at the same time
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Researching what people want is one thing, but the thing that made Apple what it is today...

What Apple is today is perhaps another subjective topic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well, yes. I was referring to being the most valuable company in the world.
  • Ha, yea. Sorry i wasnt trying to be obtuse.
  • I'm not going to defend the worst aspects of marketing. Just that putting the general population in charge of technological progress, rather than business leaders would cause as many problems as it would solve. 

Societal and organisational progress is now fundamentally linked to technological progress. Living longer, more access to education, all the rest.
  • It doesn't really shift whose in charge of progress. Technology still gets developed, and people still determine whether that technology is desirable, rather than simply being told it is. Plus, it gives people nicer jobs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!