Finances.
  • It doesn't really shift whose in charge of progress. Technology still gets developed, and people still determine whether that technology is desirable, rather than simply being told it is. Plus, it gives people nicer jobs.
    Isn't it just market research that you're proposing though? Market research minus the final marketing.

If you take away a company's ability to communicate what's different about their products, what's the point in developing a different product?
  • I'm doing sales at the moment and although I'm not that great I do alright at work. I'm not a good liar so I'm never selling people things they don't want or need. I may suggest a product over another because it makes me more commission but I'm lucky in that I work at a company that only really stocks good products so the choice is rarely wrong.
    I know I better than some of the others in the company that are only there to get as much as possible.
    I'm still relatively new but if I can earn anything from 1,000 to 2,000 a month although the higher scale is only if you're an exceptional sales person, of which I am not. I think I'll be more around the 1300-1500 mark if I'm lucky.

Depending on if I stay here or not I will probably start looking at more permanent job choices here or I will go home and work for my uncle for a bit as he offered me a job that, if I do well, could earn me five figure bonuses a month. That wouldn't be for a while but the idea of it is nice. I know money isn't everything but at the moment it kind of is for me as I just want to travel as much as I can and I'm not very good at doing it on no money.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I share Noxy's hatred of marketing. I don't have an issue with people telling others about new products, but unfortunately I think advertising in particular has become a far more insidious force than that. It seems as if the route to sales these days is to make people feel unhappy about their lives and tell them that buying product X will make them happy. It's an incredibly negative influence on our society.

That plus the cynical co-opting of anything cool, new or interesting in order to make money always puts me in mind of the Bill Hicks rant.
  • I do understand and agree with that. It's obviously quite naive to say its 'just' information. With a lot of this anti-capitalist rhetoric though, the practical implications of dispensing with the current imperfect systems are forgotten, or not explained. 

Reduce all company marketing down to bog standard information dumps, and the press become more powerful. They're as driven by profit as anywhere else. 

With Apple as well, the marketing is the product. The iPhone isn't just marketed as incredibly easy to use. It is incredibly easy to use. But a large chunk of the investment in making a phone with that UI is knowing that they'd be able to make a song and dance about it after release.
  • “…surveys of the 12.6 percent of Americans living bellow the federal poverty line … show that 80 percent of them have air-conditioning, almost 75 percent own at least one car or truck and around 33 percent have a computer, a dishwasher or a second car. What this means is that when people lack money for essentials such as food, it is usually a reflection of the strength of their desire to live up to the prevailing stands. You may, for instance, feel it more important to maintain appearances by spending on clothes while stinting on food. We knew of a young man who was unemployed and had spent a month’s income on a new mobile phone because he said girls ignored people hadn’t got the right stuff. As Adam Smith emphasized, it is important to be able to present oneself credibly in society without the shame and stigma of apparent poverty.”

From this book what I read: http://www.structuralviolence.org/book/the-spirit-level
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The worse kind of marketing are the folks that befriend you to name drop products they're being paid to name drop.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Beano, I saw this great cock ring the other day..
  • Fentonizer wrote:
    “…surveys of the 12.6 percent of Americans living bellow the federal poverty line … show that 80 percent of them have air-conditioning, almost 75 percent own at least one car or truck and around 33 percent have a computer, a dishwasher or a second car. What this means is that when people lack money for essentials such as food, it is usually a reflection of the strength of their desire to live up to the prevailing stands. You may, for instance, feel it more important to maintain appearances by spending on clothes while stinting on food. We knew of a young man who was unemployed and had spent a month’s income on a new mobile phone because he said girls ignored people hadn’t got the right stuff. As Adam Smith emphasized, it is important to be able to present oneself credibly in society without the shame and stigma of apparent poverty.”
    From this book what I read: http://www.structuralviolence.org/book/the-spirit-level

That is utter horse shit - there is no way you can infer that without a whole load of additional study. Can't stand these big procolmations made apparently based on some study or other, that in no way show causation. It's just data manipulation.

For example, in this case, it could just as easily mean that "poverty" in the US, a developed nation, is very different to "poverty" elsewhere. Good luck getting airconditioning and an iphone on $2 a day (the international standard for poverty) in Uganda.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Beano, I saw this great cock ring the other day..

Funny you should say that. I was gonna tell the story about the girl who started talking sex and condoms at me. Can't remember the firm. Fucking honey pots I tell thee.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • monkey wrote:
    It doesn't really shift whose in charge of progress. Technology still gets developed, and people still determine whether that technology is desirable, rather than simply being told it is. Plus, it gives people nicer jobs.
    Isn't it just market research that you're proposing though? Market research minus the final marketing. If you take away a company's ability to communicate what's different about their products, what's the point in developing a different product?

I know it's a utopian idea, but i think you're misunderstanding it.

There's not some army of state employees deciding what everyone wants. Rather, everyone gets paid as a part time as a researcher to figure it out themselves. Like effectively being paid to shop.

Anecdotal i realise, but I'd guess maybe half the people i know work in sales, marketing or advertising. Most of them full time. Take their roles and salaries out of the equation, and instead pay everyone else to find the things they like. New, useful things will still be desirable to some.
  • I know it's a utopian idea, but i think you're misunderstanding it. There's not some army of state employees deciding what everyone wants. Rather, everyone gets paid as a part time as a researcher to figure it out themselves.
    Ah ok, yeah I did misunderstand. 

In a utopian economy, that's actually quite a decent vision of an imagined system.
  • Fentonizer wrote:
    “…surveys of the 12.6 percent of Americans living bellow the federal poverty line … show that 80 percent of them have air-conditioning, almost 75 percent own at least one car or truck and around 33 percent have a computer, a dishwasher or a second car. What this means is that when people lack money for essentials such as food, it is usually a reflection of the strength of their desire to live up to the prevailing stands. You may, for instance, feel it more important to maintain appearances by spending on clothes while stinting on food. We knew of a young man who was unemployed and had spent a month’s income on a new mobile phone because he said girls ignored people hadn’t got the right stuff. As Adam Smith emphasized, it is important to be able to present oneself credibly in society without the shame and stigma of apparent poverty.”

That is utter horse shit - there is no way you can infer that without a whole load of additional study. Can't stand these big procolmations made apparently based on some study or other, that in no way show causation. It's just data manipulation.

For example, in this case, it could just as easily mean that "poverty" in the US, a developed nation, is very different to "poverty" elsewhere. Good luck getting airconditioning and an iphone on $2 a day (the international standard for poverty) in Uganda.

I appreciate that the quote is rather out of context, and the example anecdotal, but I can assure you that the studies in the book are very thorough.
  • I don't like sharing my salary for different reasons. Depends who it is. Almost all my friends earn a hell of a lot more than me, so I am embarassed a bit to tell them as they may think I'm a dumbass in a dumbass job. Also, they'll probably start telling me how I could do better, which I hate people telling me, then I would start disliking my friends and be a loner.

I don't really like telling my family (except wife of course) because they'll wonder what the hell I do with my money. It's not as good as others, but it's still fairly decent. I have bad spending habits and I don't want family to know that (only my very patient and understanding wife knows how bad I am and is careful not to mention it too many times). I think once I sort my debts and finances out, I'll be more comfortable disclosing to family if they want to know.

Is it easier to tell people if you are actually earning a lot and it shows? Maybe if I kick my spending habits and can show I earn well enough (LOOK AT MY NICE CAR AND HOUSE AND BANK BALANCE!) I will feel more comfortable telling people what I earn.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I don't share what I earn with others as it induces acute apeirophobia.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I can assure you it certainly wouldn't make my hair fall out!
  • I don't discuss my salary, income or banking with anybody except my wife.  Simple, no need to discuss something that has no effect on anyone else with anyone else.  Always been this way, my friends think I earn a decent lump but not through me telling them or showing off with purchases, simply through where I work and where it takes me.
  • Boston strangler.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Everyone in favour of a Secret Salary competition? Everyone writes down their details and we put it all into a hat. Then, whilst wearing a blindfold around my leg, i shall pair up names and we all swap wages for a month. At the end of the month we all post pictures of our adventures.
  • Boston strangler.

Shush...  i might just get away with it
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    While we're on electric I felt an urge to build a Tesla coil the other day! Anybody know of any decent, easy to build kits? Preferably one that wouldn't kill me!

I work with this guy - probably the maddest scientist I know!  I'm sure he could offer some tips :-) and can ask if you're interested!  

FWIW the glowing ball at 40s in is a plasma blob at effective temperature a few million degrees C apparently.  Sounds like BS, but I actually don't think it is <gulp>.  Apparently it's not far off what's in a nuclear reactor or something like that.  Which sounds like even more nonsense.  But again, I actually think he was serious.  More <gulp>.

• What were you selling, Jelly Belly?

Computers, phones, tablets...

It was mainly because I started helping an in store business team, so rather than sell a few things to a few customers, I would be helping with some bulk orders. Did love working for them though. People there were lovely. Also, looked good on a CV after a year of helping with bits and pieces of everything.
  • A combination of low interest rates and the end of the crunch make it quite an interesting time for the investor willing to do the unthinkable and get into debt. These current debts are serious bargains.

You can now borrow £10,000 for 3 years at 3.8% per year with Sainsbury's bank. That's £586.18 total interest cost over 36 months, paying £294.06 a month. Current inflation rate is a very low 1.2%, making that loan in real terms 2.6% assuming inflation rate stays the same. 

That's pretty unbelievable. Investing £10,000 in some of the better index trackers might surprise those who've never thought about stocks and shares ISA's before. Of course, you must pay the £294.06 every month for 3 years, but that's a pretty shrewd return on your investment/debt.
  • Its a shrewd investment to leverage up to gamble on some equity investments that are near historic highs due to being artificially propped up by the amount of cash that governments are pumping into the markets?  Was 2008 really that long ago?...
  • I've never ever taken out a loan before but that does seem a stupidly low amount of interest. 

We were saving for a wedding, up until little man made an appearance last December. All savings are now going towards the deposit for a house which is of far more importance now.

We've done well in 18month of saving, but since the mrs maternity pay has now dried up, it has made saving far more difficult. All of a sudden a loan like that becomes far more attractive, even though I hate the idea of borrowing money. i've always been a bit of a worrier - don't buy what you can't afford - kinda chap.
  • ---Unrelated---

After looking at the cost of the most expensive University on my Year Abroad list, using their guidelines for the most they expect to pay, I'm looking to make or save an extra £6k by August next year. I think I've worked out If I get this job, I can get £3k from that by then, and have a little left over to spend on new clothes and such. Guess the rest has to come from selling everything I own.

---Carry on---
  • Nexx wrote:
    Its a shrewd investment to leverage up to gamble on some equity investments that are near historic highs due to being artificially propped up by the amount of cash that governments are pumping into the markets?  Was 2008 really that long ago?...

Yes, QE has rallied markets no question, but that 3.8% rate is nuts. My current bank account pays 5% up to £2000 ffs.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    I've never ever taken out a loan before but that does seem a stupidly low amount of interest.  We were saving for a wedding, up until little man made an appearance last December. All savings are now going towards the deposit for a house which is of far more importance now. We've done well in 18month of saving, but since the mrs maternity pay has now dried up, it has made saving far more difficult. All of a sudden a loan like that becomes far more attractive, even though I hate the idea of borrowing money. i've always been a bit of a worrier - don't buy what you can't afford - kinda chap.

They won't give you that loan at that price for a mortgage related investment. It'll be written in the rules somewhere. That doesn't mean you have to tell them, but you might need to lie.
  • Halifax has a first time buyer mortgage that is fixed at 2.99% for 2 years.  Only requires a 10% deposit too.
  • Tempy wrote:
    ---Unrelated--- After looking at the cost of the most expensive University on my Year Abroad list, using their guidelines for the most they expect to pay, I'm looking to make or save an extra £6k by August next year. I think I've worked out If I get this job, I can get £3k from that by then, and have a little left over to spend on new clothes and such. Guess the rest has to come from selling everything I own. ---Carry on---

I still can't believe English students have to pay fees, which are free to all other EU members. Fucking disgrace actually. Living here for a year beforehand would have qualified you to "free" education.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!