Cyberpunk 2077 - new CDProjekt Red
  • Just saw this. First new Crowbcat vid in a fucking age. Was maybe expecting him to do something for Watchdogs 3, but this seems like his magnum opus.

Watched this last night, hard to see how they can fix so much in any kind of reasonable time. I feel really bad for everyone who worked hard on it (outside of leadership/exec level), the engineers, tech artists and QA in particular, man I can only imagine the crunch.
  • I watched it as well, and have to say, it is the absolute worst interpretation it is possible to give of the gap between hype and reality. Like, some of the stuff shown was like from another game or something. I know I'm on PC but still, did anyone really think the hype E3 graphics were going to be replicated on a shit system?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tbf any game looks fucking awful if you pull together the glitches from milllions upon millions of hours play time across millions of gamers. 99% of what is shown in that video I haven't, and I'm sure millions of others haven't and never will experience.

Its a fucking disastrous launch and has some glaring issues across the board, no doubt, and CDPR deserve everything they get but you can make anything look like the worst thing in existence with glitch compilations. Funny, though.

You can turn a lot of PC games to utter glitch fest fuckwittery by having a terrible spec too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Was the exact same with that ass creed horror face thing game that was apparently a complete and utter fucking mess but millons played and seemingly enjoyed it.
  • Yeah I stopped watching because I just thought "this is such a put up job." It's like a different game to the one I'm playing. For a start, it's using mods go give you certain POVs. So what of crowds do weird stupid shit when you're not looking at them? Utterly bizarre.

CDPR did rush it. I still haven't completed it because I struggle for time to play, when I do I'll do a write up.
  • The vid is very much satire and not a definitive analysis of technical issues, it takes the piss obvs. But it has some very fair points about the marketing and hype vs reality. The AI being really stupid just walking back and forth etc seems legit from vids I've seen, that is a huge disappointment for immersion, especially as they went in on marketing boasting about fancy AI routines.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The vid is very much satire and not a definitive analysis of technical issues, it takes the piss obvs. But it has some very fair points about the marketing and hype vs reality. The AI being really stupid just walking back and forth etc seems legit from vids I've seen, that is a huge disappointment for immersion, especially as they went in on marketing boasting about fancy AI routines.

Its not somethjng you'll ever actively see in an actual playthrough tbh, unless as is done in the video you stand in the same spot continuously for a long time observing.

Its no doubt sloppy as fuck from CDPR and again, they deserve every criticism, but its such a weird observation I see chucked at the game as im yet to know of anyone who is so intrinsically drawn into a game, any game that they actively follow and study the fake life routines of NPCs.

But as you say, they promised what they couldn't do. I have had the reskinned same NPC models thing, which is noticable the first time, but then they are just there to pad the world. As in nearly all large open world games, NPCs are just padding to give semi-semblance to life.

Watch Dogs tried the interact with any NPC bollocks and its hilariously bad.

I fully agree with a lot of criticism thrown at this and at times even playjng it I've laughed at parts being piss poor, but some of the hysteria around game mechanics and such is so absolutely batshit in places. Its like reverse Stockholm with some parts of the gaming 'culture'.
  • Part of me feels like the opinions are driven by search algorithm.
  • Fair enough. Even taking away the bugs though, the gulf between what they said and what was delivered seems bad. We're not talking 'said years ago' either I think, said fairly recently. I'm not watching the vid again to check :)

I'll never tell folks they're wrong for enjoying a game though and I'm happy those that are enjoying it are having a blast. I haven't played it, for clarity.

And I do have all the feels for the team, I bet it's still going on right now, like as I'm typing there'll be bleary eyed engineers, tired QA and stressed-to-fuck producers in some office somewhere.
  • From the marketing and all their big words I and I imagine most people were expecting them to go all out with the world building, which includes seemingly immaterial things like pedestrian behaviours. All those little details in games add up to make the thing as a whole feel more cohesive and like you are in another world.

I can see why people see his vids as nitpicking, and he does selectively find those things for negative comparisons, but it's because those small things actually matter in the big picture and I guess he's like me and loves to see a really lovingly crafted world full of all the complex interactions you would expect.

The comparisons with 10+ year old games are embarassing, Lego City Undercover of all things seems to have better traffic AI. It's personal taste but I distinctly remember loving how the world in GTA4 felt, all the subtle AI interactions and their physical presence, pushing people down stairs has never been better.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah I really feel for the team, they deserve better than this. You can feel real aoul in aspects of the game, and then its so hollow elsewhere.

CDPR basically dived into the NMS/Molyneux problem of falling for, and believing their own hype/adulation. You'd be real fucking pissed as a coder or summat hearing your bosses spouting such nonsense publically, knowing its never gonna be what they say.
  • He did a vid on Crackdown 3 vs the original, which was quite fair. Crackdown 3 is actually a very fun little game, I enjoyed it despite the reduction in interaction detail. I think it's just about a yearning for even greater and more immersive game worlds.
  • Yeah it's the leadership team at CDPR that deserve all the blame. Yer mans in the trenches, my heart goes out to 'em.
  • I'd quite like to read/watch a proper expose of the whole affair, there must have been so much drama and tension between the boots on the ground trying to make something amazing and those trying to deliver what they promised and make the money.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    He did a vid on Crackdown 3 vs the original, which was quite fair. Crackdown 3 is actually a very fun little game, I enjoyed it despite the reduction in interaction detail. I think it's just about a yearning for even greater and more immersive game worlds.

As you say, hype killed this for a lot of people, CDPR solely to blame. It is not the game they portrayed at all and if you cant get over the promises they gave you're gonna have a very bad time.

I like open world games primarily as a timesink. If you poke at any large, open world game its holes become apparent very quickly. Like GTA and fuck all interiors to go into, relatively shit NPCs also and that aside from a bit of pool/golf/forced 'friend' shit theres really not much there.

I will praise Rockstar on making beautiful fucking worlds though.
  • RDR2 still the benchmark <3

I seem to remember people flipping their shit at what Fable 1 didn't include that was promised. I read nothing about the game before playing it so fucking loved it, so I can get on board with the 'don't clamber on the hype train' stance.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    RDR2 is probably the pinnacle for me but once those scripted NPC events start to loop its as equally hollow as any other open world.

Glorious place to stroll around and enjoy the scenery in too. Likewise with this I love hopping on a bike, putting the jazz station on and zooming around with the neon and distinctive areas.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I will say San Andreas was the WOW moment for me with open worlds as at that time, with the tech we had it seemed so impossibly vast that you kinda believed there was more to the world than what was actually there. Along with GTA3 and Half Life Alyx and OoT its one of 4 games to genuinely have me feel, at that moment, that its more than the sum of its underlying parts.
  • I guess as these game worlds scale up in size and fidelity it just becomes incredibly costly, both in terms of studio cost and for the hardware that has to run it, to keep a really consistent level of interactive detail in animations, physics effects, etc. A lot of big budget games now are very polished on the surface, but as soon as you start messing around in the worlds you can notice how shallow they are in many aspects compared to earlier games. I think that's what most of Crowbcat's comparison vids are about.
  • My dissapointment with the game was almost exclusively with the lack of true varying paths across the starting options.
    I didnt play for long at all but was almost immediately hoofed out of anything resembling the Corpo story into something as generic as it comes.
    Maybe I should have stuck with it longer but the exact point I sacked it off was marked by both Dunkey and Angry Joe as well in videos I watched after playing.

The interesting interwoven yet different stories was a key draw for myself and they not only didn't deliver they barely entertained the concept to the point I feel they probably should have dropped it.

I wouldnt mind missions being shared with different bookending stories to get you there but they didnt even seem to attempt that.
    20 minutes into a Corpo storyline and I've been sacked and find myself in a grotty warehouse shooting goons. Big fat meh.

They can and will fix the glitches and under developed AI stuff eventually but I would be very suprised if they go back to properly flesh out those story archs.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I read a theory, and its only that, but to me it makes sense.

Basically they had the branching paths, with Keanu Silverhand as a smaller kinda character. But then they got Keanu on as the big bastard star and holy shit its Keanu and Silverhand now needs to be a big bollocks lead and holy shit ITS KEANU!.

This then led to them reworking the entire plot and flow, and subsequently fucking up all 3 branches in such a ridiculously small timescale that they couldnt restructure, write and build it all again to any extent in time for release.

It explains the lazy as fuck '6 months later' montage thing plus the relatively short campaign length, alongside lack of clear distinguishable differences in choice. Those moments felt to me as if they should have been plot beats.
  • Entirely believable.
  • SPOILERS FUUUUUUUUUCKOS
  • Can I just say
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There are outright lies that were peddled about the game even a few weeks before it was released. It's not the team who need pillored, it's the CDPR management who were all about that a ighty ollar.

I maintain you'll have better enjoyment of the game if you don't treat it as an rpg because those systems are so half-baked. As a narrative action adventure, it's fine with some lovely moments and a truly memorable world.
  • And also go in expecting nothing. Just imagine you found this for £20 in gamestation two months after release type game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And also go in expecting nothing. Just imagine you found this for £20 in gamestation two months after release type game.

That's an impossibility for us on this forum. We are on a videogame forum, and we are human. I would find it hard to expect that anyone reading this has had an inability to not even be tangentially aware of cyberpunk. Even those who shut off from spoilers did so on the basis that the game was important enough to do so.
  • I knew of it but knew nowt about it tbh. I knew some people were excited, that's it.
  • It was some game called Cyberpunk by that lot who did that RPG that loads of people like. That was it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!