Your top 10 FPS - All formats
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Early Rainbow Sixes, Flashpoint, ARMAs, STALKERs,. All vital stuff.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    metagonzo wrote:
    Like others, I choose to disgregard the 360 cutoff.
    There is a reason for it though. The idea is to see what people think the 10 best games of this generation are, and GoldenEye and Half life are decidedly not this generation. 360 kicked it off, hence why that's the cutoff.

Yep, understood. The oldies just loom too large in my mind, to the exclusion of others. I'm just not very good at the game I guess. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funny - I wouldn't consider Metroid Prime as an FPS - primarily because of the morph ball which goes 3rd person - all things considered I suppose it an FPS.....would be on my list however I gave up on MP1 early on - not sure why though - just lack of time I guess. Have MP2 & 3 sitting untouched as well.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Mine would have to be metroid prime also. I think FPSs will evolve when comtollers evolve. Read an article recently where Gabe Newell was convincingly slagging off motion control; he likened the accuracy/level of response one can achieve with "arm waving" to dail up Internet, whilst the fingers were broad band I.e. far quicker and response etc and shit. I'm really interested in what Microsoft do with their next controller, the Xbox controller is just a perfect thing. What's next? Some kind of haptic feedback cornea implant,I hope.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • You don't use motion control for MP though so his argument is shite.
  • You argument his weird! Payed original, played wii-dux.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    the 3rd MP uses the Wii's "look/aim with the remote and move with the nunchuk" system which is a viable alternative to standard methods if a title with suitable heft uses it on a platform with similar heft.

thought the trilogy used similar?
  • It do. Currently enjoying MP on wii u and with pointy. A nice way to visit and old ace friend. The hmdi makes it looks amaze as well. Recommend.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Trilogy is out of print sadly - delayed picking it up because I have the GC originals.
  • I was lucky to grab mine, saw it for 35 notes used in a cex and thought "fuck it". It were worth it. Glorious games. Can't wait for wii u metroid.
  • If it were any other genre this type of thread wouldn't exist.
    I hate FPSes. Terrible style of game.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sas, you're fucking drunk. It's a good thread.

Make one about RPGs if you want, I'll contribute.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't like 'em either (for reasons I've given en earlier) but I'm actually interested & surprised to see what favourites are being listed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I don't like 'em either (for reasons I've given en earlier) but I'm actually interested & surprised to see what favourites are being listed.
    List threads or FPS games?
  • Ooooh list

1. Far Cry 2
    2. Crysis 2
    3. Half-Life 2
    4. Halo 2
    5. Portal
    6. Bioshock 2
    7. Borderlands
    8. Battlefield 2
    9. Strangers Wrath
    10. Metro 2033

Many a 2
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Surely if Metroid Prime gets a pass Portal does too
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    If it were any other genre this type of thread wouldn't exist. I hate FPSes. Terrible style of game.

We just had a favourite RPG thread.

With the exception of some Halo coop campaignage and a healthy does of BioShock, I don't play FPSs anymore.  I think I overdid it on CoD mp some years back.  I might return to the genre when the next gen hits.
    Get schwifty.
  • 1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    6. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    7. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    8. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    9. S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    10.S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • For me this gens FPS's has been all about the multiplayer, whereas the last gen was about the singleplayer and replaying levels over and over. 
    I think the only FPS singleplayer this gen that I have played a few times was COD MW. 
    So with the above in mind...
    MP
    1. Battlefield Bad Company
    2. Battlefield Bad Company 2
    3. Battlefield 3
    4. COD 2 or 3 - whatever the last WWII one before COD MW was. 
    5. Battlefield Modern Combat

SP
    1. COD MW
    2. Far Cry 3
    3. Far Cry 2
    4. Halo ODST
    5. Battlefield Bad Company
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Surely Portal can't count as it's not a shooter.
  • Hmmokay. In no particular order bar rough chronology:

Doom 2 - Because more enemy types and dbl-shotty, the chunkiest shotgun evar. Plus it's like really influential and shit.

Star Wars: Dark Forces - The coolest exploro-puzzley-FPS before Metroid Prime, and I still prefer it. Concussion rifle. Murdering hostiles at the urinal. You can punch a giant dragon thing to death if you work out the framestun window.

Marathon - Ugly as fuck, but a well-integrated narrative. Sequel busts out some real flair in that department with its time/dimension-hopping scheme.

Descent - Rarer instance of FPS controls and feel actually matching context, neat blocky drones to shoot.

Quake - Motherfucking Quake. The Power of Brown. This title dominated my late '90s. Got me into digital graphic making (custom skins), propelling oneself with explosives. Was in clans and everything; used to sit up top and fart out grenades, this rarely came to much. The scenario of "sci-fi soldier gets trapped in Lovercraftian Elderworld" is still quite novel. Shambler owns.

Quake 3 - Probably too fast for me now, but still the compo FPS to beat I think. Liked the vs-fighterish take on character presentation, even if there was no mechanical difference betwixt any. Actually that was probably a boon.

Starsiege: Tribes - Soaring through air vomiting death-frisbees. The scale of maps made any assault feel adventurous. Ski-ing glitch.

Metroid Prime - Honestly this has a lot of problems in hindsight - Glyph Hunt, needlessly recurring ghost enemy fights, tedious scanning. But, still feels pretty great, decent atmosphere. Best with Nintenremote and nunchuck.

All I can recall for the present. Will do.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    If it were any other genre this type of thread wouldn't exist. I hate FPSes. Terrible style of game.
    We just had a favourite RPG thread. With the exception of some Halo coop campaignage and a healthy does of BioShock, I don't play FPSs anymore.  I think I overdid it on CoD mp some years back.  I might return to the genre when the next gen hits.

The best RPG thread came from a guy who hadn't been here before and decided to himself it was a valid question but then he didn't know there was an RPG thread to begin with.
    FPSes are so interchangeable and full of the exact same mechanics yet are still revered whilst JRPGs are villified. I just don't get it.

Yes, I am drunk.

Cunts

;)
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    JRPGs are vilified?!!!

Get the coffee on.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Have you seen the character designs they come out with? Of course that shit is vilified.
  • If Matsuno oversaw the cosmetics of an FPS I'd play it. FF12 had dope beasts.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sas just went up in my estimations.
  • @brooks Dark Forces, horry shit. Wattagame!
  • Best SW title by a fucking parsec or whatever.
  • I thought parsec was tiny?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nope. I'm wrong. It's fucking huge.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!