Your top 10 FPS - All formats
  • If we're going historic, both Blood and Outlaws require mentions.
  • That's why I put it in my list.

"Don't be a fool, Marshall!"

Blood I actually thought about but I only ever played the demo so it didn't seem right. I did play that demo a lot though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dark Forces 2 was my first experience of ultra campy live action FMV sequences. Beats C&C's campy quality by a small margin.
  • That's another one where I think I love the demo more than the actual game. Demo was the fifth level and you had to sneak onto an Imperial starship that was getting refuelled or something.

I played that so much before getting the actual game. Think the cheats actually worked on the demo as well so I could run around with all the force powers and all the weapons. It was great fun.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:
    ignoring the Xbox cut-off, which many have, I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned No One Lives Forever or its sequel yet... :-/
    XIII dammit
    nolf is cool. I don't think they're on steam though which is shit. also @reg is that the one with a certain fox milder?????????

damn right it i s
  • Portal doesn't count. Might as well try to argue Wing Commander counts.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    Deiw

I was effected by the pressure of the popular herd saying it's the shit one in the series and barely played it before moving on to other things. It's good then?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    1. Americas Army (PC, 2002)
    6v6 objective based, no campaign, no respawns, no perks, no customisation, no fucking about. The most perfect teamwork FPS I have ever played.

2. Battlefield 2 (PC, 2005)
    Again another FPS that didn't need a multitude of modes, it had just one type of gameplay and was all the better for it.

3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (360, 2007)
    The game that everybody thinks of when the acronym FPS is mentioned. For me this game emcompasses everything that is good and bad about FPS's.

In no particular order of preference.

Goldeneye 007 (N64, 1997)

Delta Force (PC, 1998)

Ghost Recon (PC, 2001)

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (PC, 2003)

SWAT 4 (PC, 2005)

Borderlands 2 (360, 2012)

Far Cry 3 (360, 2012)
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Portal doesn't count. Might as well try to argue Wing Commander counts.

It's more like an FPS than Portal is in my book. Portal's a puzzle game. There's different interpretations of what constitutes a shooter; there's no right or wrong. (But I'm right)
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Portal is so different to virtually all the games mentioned here that to compare them is just pointless.

It's a puzzle game.
  • ODST was crap. Found it really boring. 
    Anyway,I'll probably not submit a list but wondered were there any plans to compile a B&B list based on the lists people give?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    ODST was crap. Found it really boring.  Anyway,I'll probably not submit a list but wondered were there any plans to compile a B&B list based on the lists people give?
    We already have the perfect list, it's 3 posts above yours if you're looking for it!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Which only actually contains 4 games that qualify.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Portal is so different to virtually all the games mentioned here that to compare them is just pointless. It's a puzzle game.

Finally. 

No, I can't.

To a certain extent I'm playing Devil's advocate and your argument has merit. I guess that the point I'm trying to make is that the FP portions of FPS are sometimes divorced from the S. I personally feel that a FPS had to tick all 3 boxes to be considered as one. 

It's the S that's the issue; for me at least. A perspective can't define an entire genre.

(this flies in the face of me saying it had to involve attacking enemies with projectiles and then being reminded that you could do this very thing in Portals. Error, but I stand fast on my general sentiment.)
  • Oh, it's restricted to current generation fps games. What's the reason for this?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Dante's decision leapfrogging off the OXM list. Plus it applies at least some level on consistency, i.e. you could go and play these games now.
  • It's become the dominant genre this gen and arguably become a narrower genre in the process.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Really? First person shooters have never been the most innovative of genres to start with.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Oh, it's restricted to current generation fps games. What's the reason for this?

Oh lol, I misread. Explains why no-one else's lists seemed to feature pre-00s titles.
  • Yes a genre that doesn't include Portal. It's not a FPS!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Really? First person shooters have never been the most innovative of genres to start with.
    The financial reality now is obviously to copy what everyone else is doing, but I don't think there's a creative reason for the majority of them to be so homogenised.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Oh, it's restricted to current generation fps games. What's the reason for this?

Oh lol, I misread. Explains why no-one else's lists seemed to feature pre-00s titles.

I forgot with Prime, but no other titles, which I am a fud for.
  • Portal is a game in the first person perspective where you shoot stuff at things. FPS.
  • metagonzo wrote:
    It's the S that's the issue; for me at least. A perspective can't define an entire genre.
    Yeah, a genre is more defined by the predominant type of action the player is tested on. Anything called a shooter should first and foremost involve trying to shoot things, with the challenge coming from aiming at and hitting particular points onscreen.

The use of first person perspective meanwhile is a design choice that determines how the action will be framed, not a genre, with each different choice having its own strengths and weaknesses. First person goes with shooting so well because it's the only perspective where you're looking right down the line of sight, making the accuracy part of the game even more nuanced and user controllable.

Personally I'm not sure it has any other advantages, which is why I find it odd for non-shooting oriented games to use it.
  • Farcry 3
    Half life 2
    resistance 3
    modern warfare reflux Wii.
    Dishonoured
    Goldeneye Wii.

Loads in the past like
    TS2, metroid and the likes.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I certainly prefer to play racing and flying games in first person.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Hodge360 wrote:
    ODST was crap. Found it really boring.  Anyway,I'll probably not submit a list but wondered were there any plans to compile a B&B list based on the lists people give?
    We already have the perfect list, it's 3 posts above yours if you're looking for it!
    Yeah right,you think Modern Warfare is the best COD!!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Dante's decision leapfrogging off the OXM list. Plus it applies at least some level on consistency, i.e. you could go and play these games now.
    You can play mine now, they're from the past and present not the future!

I was another one who didn't read the criteria, though a list of FPS's being confided to this gen misses out on so many good titles.

Hodge360 wrote:
    You think Modern Warfare is the best COD!!
    I think it was a defining title that no list about FPS's shouldn't feature. It's certainly not the best FPS or even the best CoD but it did a lot of things right and set the foundations for the current flavour...
  • Hmm,you can only have one game from a series in your top ten but you don't pick the best of the series?
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Hmm,you can only have one game from a series in your top ten but you don't pick the best of the series?

He did, COD 4.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!