Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    SWAT 4: Gold. Post-360, it's all I've got.

Deadly Shadows from a year previous.
  • I've not played many first person games this gen - Metroid Prime 3, Deus Ex, Halo ODST for a bit, a touch of Mirror's Edge and just the start of Dishonored. It's not a perpsective I've ever fully felt at home with for whatever reason - maybe the weird character movement in most of them or the restricted field of vision - but I got a lot out of Doom, Goldeneye and the first Halo in the past. Also I suppose it's a genre dominated by online multiplayer, which I haven't bothered with.

So yeah, the point I suppose is that I prefer the over the shoulder 3rd person view that's developed a lot in recent years, and will probably only dabble in FP if the IP particularly takes me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yes, Doom and Nukem and Descent II and Thief/s and GoldenEye and AvP [Alien] and Flashpoint: Resistance and SWAT 4. But not much else.

Speed or tactics or comedy or interesting physical angles. I'm probably forgetting one or two, but them'll suffice my point.
  • Mirrors Edge was oh-so-close.

I enjoyed it a lot.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Reading PC Gamer in the bygone, was common of me to yearn for the RTS screenies as FPS worlds. Seemed to have the imagination lacking.

Bridges and turrets; rampaging elephants; team-movement strats... Pour the boiling oil! North & South needs a remake. Uncharted 2 was close, but its maps were largely mirrored in fair-play's name.
  • I would struggle to name ten, but easily the best fps game Ive played is Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. It's not entirely fps all the way through, but it's of insanely high calibre throughout and the journey the character takes is excellently told.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Arkady wrote:
    Dishonoured is great, but neither of them are shooters. You can play the entirety of both games without resorting to ranged combat.
    Not everyone is skilled enough to do that. Same for Mirrors Edge; i completed it sans gun once i'd played it a few times but my friends had to use them regularly. Any game that has a gun in it and is first person counts otherwise you're making arbitrary judgement calls.
    That's like saying any game with a jump button is a platformer.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The amount of wonky iffy jumps I made, Skyrim might as well be a platformer.
  • Isn't Skyrim 3rd person with a 1st person option, or vice versa?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Vice versa. The camera and controls work the same way in third person as they do in first.
  • I'm counting games that have a first person perspective where you predominantly shoot things in my current gen top 9 (I couldnt think of anything else listworthy). If the game has additional mechanics, oh hai rpg elements, then it still counts, because first person shooting still happens. 

This list of kind of ordered I guess, but after the top 3 depending on mood the rest 

1. Fallout 3.
    2.  Halo ODST
    3.  Bioshock
    4.  Borderlands 2 (for my shame I never played 1, so the fact that it was just more borderlands didn't affect me)
    5. Left4Dead 2
    6. Mechwarrior Online
    7. Deus EX: Human Revolution
    8. Bulletstorm
    9. Prey

I haven't play a CoD or CoD-alike since the one where you ape the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan (MoH: European Assault was it?). Partly because in the early to mid 00's there were waaaaay too many WW2 shooters coming out and they turned me off playing another military fps for evar.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    MoH was, I'm 99% certain, Frontline.

Good game that, not 360 onwards though.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    ignoring the Xbox cut-off, which many have, I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned No One Lives Forever or its sequel yet... :-/
  • Right, if people are counting Skyrim and Fallout 3, I'm gonna include Portal. Revised list coming shortly.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    ignoring the Xbox cut-off, which many have, I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned No One Lives Forever or its sequel yet... :-/

XIII dammit
  • Yeah man Portal totally counts, it's viewed in the first person and your main interaction with the game world involved shooting. 

The only reason the CoD die-hards are crying is because outside of the competetive multiplayer element (don't write that element off though, it's pretty much the main draw of the titles) the games are almost completely hollow and boil down to not much more than just nice graphics with people to shoot who spray blood around a bit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:

XIII dammit

nolf is cool. I don't think they're on steam though which is shit.

also @reg is that the one with a certain fox milder?????????
  • Mine would have to be the following list, although I would say that my all-time favourites would be a very, very different list.

1. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    2. Bioshock
    3. The Darkness
    4. Portal
    5. Dishonored
    6. Call of Duty 2
    7. Prey
    8. Far Cry 3
    9. Borderlands 2
    10. Halo 4

Whereas my all time favourites would include the following:

Goldeneye, Timesplitters 2, XIII, Killzone, Red Faction 2, Half Life...
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • My revised top 10:

1. Metroid Prime (MP Trilogy on Wii)
    2. Half Life 2 (Orange Box)
    3. Portal
    4. Halo 3
    5. Bioshock
    6. Dishonoured 
    7. Crysis
    8. Bulletstorm
    9. STALKER
    10. FEAR
  • Roujin wrote:
    Yeah man Portal totally counts, it's viewed in the first person and your main interaction with the game world involved shooting.

Then why is it not in your list dammit! 

Also, no Tekken last night? :(
  • It's not in my list becase.....

because.....

I have never played Portal 1 or 2. Ever. Not even the demo. It is my secret shame. 

Sorry about last night man, I'm in work all weekend, crunch time on a couple of projects and one of our more dickish and useless managers has just gone on paternity leave, but not before he managed to create a giant shitstorm by completely failing to manage client expectations leaving the rest of us to clean up his stupid fucking mess. 

I got monday off though so we can Tekken it up tomorrow eve if you are around?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Where are all the crying CoD die-hards at?
  • I don't think it matters if people want to pick Portal or Mirror's Edge, it's a sign that people want something different from the militaristic core of the genre. 

If you don't like first person games at all, that's more likely you rather than the genre. 

The older stuff is a mix of people again probably preferring the less martial approach last gen or plain reading the thread title and not the first post.
  • Where are all the crying CoD die-hards at?
    A lot of people listed one from seven years ago.
  • Someone even mentioned CoD4 singleplayer, lol. 

@Roujin, yeah can try tomorrow. I needs yous to show me how to play properly!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Lol at CoD 4 being in an FPS list while putting Portal in your own? I believe I'm lost.
  • CoD is shit. That's the difference.

Edit: I do believe I'm being slightly twattish here. Appreciate some people like it. CoD (4 in particular) has become a bit of a pet hate of mine.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    CoD 4 multi is one of the best this gen. If it weren't for BFBC2 it'd be my favourite.

The single player is fine as well. Some very good storytelling in there, hadn't had the full Michael Bay treatment. There's one very affecting scene they've been trying to recapture ever since.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    C-130 bombardment was an amazing bit first time around.
  • 1. Halo 2
    2. Half Life
    3. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
    4. CoD 4
    5. Bioshock
    6. Killing Floor
    7. Goldeneye
    8. Medal of Honour: Frontline
    9. Perfect Dark
    10. Outlaws

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!