Your top 10 FPS - All formats
  • It's not the best and he even said himself its not.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • You're both wrong though.
  • I'm not going to write a list but the games that have stuck out for me this gen.  I'm also going to ignore the 'that's not a FPS!' cunts.

CoD4:  My first real online game.  I actually got quite addicted to this.  The game pretty much ruined the series for me though.  Sequels went mental and I now no interest whatsoever in the games.  I also really liked the single player.  The stealth mission was the best I've played.

Killzone 2:  Single player is as 'meh' as it gets but the multiplayer was well done.  We had some cracking forum games as well.  All it needed were a few tweaks to lift it from 'good' to 'great'.  Annoyingly the devs listened too much to the trolls and actually fucked the game.

Portal: I went into this without knowing much about it other than you fired out portals and went through them.  So I was pretty blown away by it.  I'd almost go as far as calling it the perfect video game.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood:  So much fun.  It's like CoD without all the wankery.  Tis a shame that Red Dead Redemption is the more well known cowboy game.

Battlefield 1943:  Don't normally like arcade-y shooters but I really get on with this one.  Still popular enough that I can still get a full game no problems.  I just wish that EA had followed up with expansions or other games in this style.

Peter Jackson's King Kong:  I had this on XBOX but it came out on 360 so just makes it.  It was what I wish more movie tie-ins would be like.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Loving the Portal banter. Fair enough if people need to include it on their list, but to my mind opening portals and jumping through them to solve a puzzle does not sound like a traditional FPS.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I don't think it's an FPS. It's a first person puzzler that occasionally needs quick aim.
  • Loving the Portal banter. Fair enough if people need to include it on their list, but to my mind opening portals and jumping through them to solve a puzzle does not sound like a traditional FPS.

You're right, it's not a traditional FPS. I wasn't going to include it, but saw people putting RPGs in their list, so I thought why not. Perhaps Dante can explain what counts and what doesn't. What is the spirit/purpose of the list etc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Go with what you think is right, it's not up to Dante to define everyone's idea of an FPS is it?
  • No, just thought the list might have a specific purpose, hence 360 onwards only etc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If you feel you can argue the case for a game being an FPS, then go for it.

To me, Portal and Fallout, whilst games in the first person and involve shooting wouldn't be an FPS. There's just a part of my brain that knows they don't belong. That said, someone attempted to define what an FPS is and someone else came up with a way Portal qualified for that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If Fallout isn't, neither is Borderlands.

AHA!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's elements of VATS which suggest Fallout isn't.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    BLands is a shooter with (lots of) RPG elements; Fallout is the other thing.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • I nearly always played Oblivion in first person and my attacking style was usually shooting with arrows.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Bloody hell. Hasn't everyone who can actually play FPSes voted yet?
    Is this shit being tallied?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Methinks:

1. Metroid Prime from Wii MP Collection.
    2. Deus Ex HR.
    3. COD4.
    4. Battlefield 3.
    5. Battlefield 1942.
    6. Killzone 3
    Edit: 7 MAG (facewons list reminded me)had a lot of fun with this one aswell. Domination was epic at times.
  • I'll stick with the 360 onwards rule, but fuck that one game per series noise.

1. Halo 3. On balance, you just can't fuck with the MP compared to anything else. Also, on balance, probably the most replayable campaign in the series. Scoring, co-op, skulls. Legitimate multi-options for different playhroughs.

2. BFBC2. Campaign was a waste of space. MP is second only to Halo 3. Wish someone would nail Rush mode again and people would play it.

3. Halo ODST. Motherfucking Firefight. Halo's mechanics honed to within an inch of their lives. Lost Platoon and Alpha base (is that what it was called) rinse and repeat. Some of the best first person shooting you will ever do.

4 and 5. Portals. They're in my list, they're amazing.

6. Bioshock. Atmosphere. And sections that did story amazingly well.

7. Halo Reach. Campaign is weak. MP lost pop and took ages to stabalise, but once they had the Title update with anniv, the MP was rock solid. FF with fuller features than ODST.

8. MAG. For a brief while, it was amazing. Lots and lots of enemies, lots of objective. Could get a bit meat grindery, and fell of the radar and also didn't seem to improve, necessarily, with patches.

9. Left 4 Dead. Didn't play it enough, but so brilliant.

10. Far Cry 3. A great playground. Everything works well, and I even think they did the "RPG" lite aspect quite well.

And somehow one of the borderlands misses out.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Never got into Mag. Sadly as there's not enough of you lovely people on there I don't think I'll ever get into it as I should.
  • It was near enough dead when I got into it about 3 years ago
  • yeah, it was one you had to dive into near enough to launch. Really did require a party. But man, when you had an 6-8 man squad of edgers going it could be brilliant.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    :(
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Bloody hell. Hasn't everyone who can actually play FPSes voted yet? Is this shit being tallied?
    What's your beef Sas? If you don't like the thread, don't click on it.
  • MAG was incredible. As Face says, you had to play it with friends in a squad otherwise it was pointless. We had a full EDGE clan room every night for about eight months that just hammered the rest of the internet into submission. Truly it was the best of times.
    Ultimately killed by idiot developers too quick to listen to moaning fuckwits on their official forums.

nothing since has come close

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • After reading this and the where next thread coupled with my own opinion it definitely seems a game thrives and offers the best experience in the early days of its life.
  • n0face wrote:
    After reading this and the where next thread coupled with my own opinion it definitely seems a game thrives and offers the best experience in the early days of its life.

99% of the time, I'd agree. Reach is the only one that bucks that trend, but it's back handed compliment, as it's only the case because it was a bit shit at launch and got fixed.

Actually, tbf, I'd suggest the sweet spot is a little later into the lifespan for Halo 3. It had some legs on it, and updates and improvements to lists probably put the prime time at about 6-12 months in.

Although your point may well still stand if you're referring to going into a game cold. Being a new player to H3 6 months in would have been a steep learning curve.

Of course the obvious problem is that most games don't have the pop 6 (or even 3) months in.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    There were still people playing MAG long after launch when I tried. Unfortunately lack of players numbers was the least of its multitude problems. In fact the number of players was one of its problems.
  • Come to think of it, I joined BFBC2 very late in the piece. When was it released? I was probably only a few months before the Vietnam expansion. Certainly the lobbies could be a little sparse, but it was definitely playable.

Without reading your post from the other thread, I assume, noface, that part of the problem with coming late is not just population numbers, but player behavior, bad habits and known exploits.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Without reading your post from the other thread, I assume, noface, that part of the problem with coming late is not just population numbers, but player behavior, bad habits and known exploits.
    I just think there is something much more exciting when everybody's trying to figure a game out and trying stuff out. When you pull something of its truly amazing for the first time and when it goes tits up it's full of panic. The more time that passes the more the experience is dulled I think.
  • BC2 was fine if you joined us, Cuckoo went from abandoning the tank to top of the scoreboard in a night and that was in Vietnam. Probably not so good solo.
  • n0face wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    I just think there is something much more exciting when everybody's trying to figure a game out and trying stuff out. When you pull something of its truly amazing for the first time and when it goes tits up it's full of panic. The more time that passes the more the experience is dulled I think.

true enough.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Interesting seeing these lists. I like the split of MP & SP. I'd also be one to put CoD 4 in an SP list. It's fucking spot on for what is a stale theme in FPS. Also gotta throw Halo 2 in an SP list.

As for the banter on Portals and Mirrors Edge they're both in mine SP lists. I am sure Portal 2 would feature in a MP list if I had played the co-op. As CoD MW must feature in it for it's co-op alone.

I know it's a loose argument but even if you did get through ME without resorting to weapons I'd say you're the projectile and the trigger is yourself. Mirrors Edge can be an incredibly fluid mechanic, you're targeting with the crosshair and triggering where to lay feet, hands, grabs etc. It's a shooter because aim, fire. Just the gun (target) and bullet (trigger) are abstracted. Non?

edit: don't get me wrong, it's an fps to facilitate a platformer.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!