ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I finally have the music streaming app of my dreams, almost, except the one in my head that I can't build

Given the amount of music I own that isn't on libraries, I always needed an online locker. Google Music did that really well, and integrated their own library, but you could turn off their library so recommendation didn't always spiral towards the mainstream (inherent issue with algorithm, I have a solution, but in my head, can't build) but that fell over when YouTube Music launched. Apple music offered the same but needed me to upload my own music via iTunes, which was long and laborious and a huge resource hog

Have been using plex for years and years, but never let it near my music until I heard about plexamp. Decent little app, nothing super special, but allows me to play anything from my own collection anywhere I go and will scrobble. Why did I never have this before? Bloody brilliant, now to find a remote control for soulseek so I can download stuff to the server while out and about and it's perfect
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nice. I love plex. Only use it for some very specific music needs, but for video it's been so handy. Lifetime purchase ftw.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    This is all on the free tier, but given how much use I get from plex, I probably should do that lifetime buy at some point

edit: If they can get the streaming guys to let them get access to smart speakers (or piggyback existing services like throw) they'll be absolutely golden. Not been able to test due to some major recent life changes

linkypoo to plexamp explanation
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hey moot, hope you're well, also might have a question for you
  • I'm good thanks. Fire away.
  • Plexamp sounds cool. All my attempts to get plex running from my shield tv have been unsuccessful so far though. Might have to have another go.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I have the same problem as Cocko, too much obscure music that only exists in my MP3 collection to ever really commit to an online streaming service.

Sonos was the perfect answer, until they launched ‘New Search’ last year and fucked it. Now I have to use new search for streaming stuff and classic search for my own library. Having both show up in one integrated search was perfect. Fucked it.
  • Can’t you just use the classic search all the time?
  • With Sonos speakers, can you not just stream to them directly from iTunes or whatever it’s called nowadays?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Can’t you just use the classic search all the time?

The classic search no longer includes Spotify. *eyeroll.gif*

g.man wrote:
    With Sonos speakers, can you not just stream to them directly from iTunes or whatever it’s called nowadays?

Yeah, you can stream to them from anything, pretty much. But the point was to have their nice app to use, with all services integrated into one simple search. So when you searched for Taylor Swift, it brought up results sorted by service/library/etc. and you could mix them all into one seamless playlist if you wanted.

• So if I bought a Sonos speaker, do I have to use their app, or can I just kinda bypass that and stream directly to the speaker from iTunes on my desktop?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They have AirPlay built in so you can use that. So yes. You don’t need the app.
  • That’s good to know. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting some of their kit, but wasn’t sure about how they actually worked with their app.
    I just have a colossal library in my iChoons I need to stream to a speaker with minimum faff.
  • To be honest, I’ve grown to prefer the Sonos app over Apple’s. Horses for courses though. Both play my iTunes library to the speakers just fine.
  • If you have an iPhone, then definitely download the app as you can then use TruePlay to tune the speaker based on the surroundings. Sounds like a gimmick, but it made a huge difference for me (3 speaker set-up mind you).
  • poprock wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Can’t you just use the classic search all the time?

The classic search no longer includes Spotify. *eyeroll.gif*

It does on mine…
  • The Daddy wrote:
    It does on mine…

Oooh, maybe they’ve fixed it. (Can’t check just now, won’t be back home until next week.)
  • Thanks for all the info fellas.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Seems if you're using Plex then it can stream to your speakers using Sonos, Chromecast or Airplay, so whatever existing systems you have would still work. Though I think with Sonos you have to use the Sonos app. Though seeing as many of you prefer it that sounds good. Last place I was using a few Google Play speakers (kitchen, bedroom, office), and a Yamaha cd player (front room) with basic streaming. I could throw stuff from my phone to whatever system and it mostly worked whether music or podcasts. Could also use Yamaha's app to play the same music as well, just every now and again the odd sticking point

I think that with this plexapp, though I have to leave the laptop on all the time, will allow access to collection from anywhere, and the app isn't terrible. I know Facey has more expensive data, and the download to phone option is only on the paid version, but I have lots of data so don;t mind streaming when out, it allows transcoding down to save data if you want
  • g.man wrote:
    That’s good to know. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting some of their kit, but wasn’t sure about how they actually worked with their app. I just have a colossal library in my iChoons I need to stream to a speaker with minimum faff.

Hello.  I'm not sure what you are planning to get, but right now, 2 x Sonos Era 100s are £448 on Very, and I have a voucher that would bring them down to about £358.

Happy to grab them for you if that's of interest.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • Cheers Kris. That's very kind of you, but not what I'll be looking to buy thanks.
  • Flagging again that the Ikea sonos speakers are largely the same inside for half the price. Can recommend
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agreed. I have the IKEA lamp and it sounds as good as my Play:1’s
  • Yup I have the IKEA bookcase speakers and they are great.
  • I have 2 of the bookshelves. They were good in mid size rooms as singles. Have had the chance to use them as stereo pair now and they're REALLY good. aus$300 for the pair is a bargain and a half.
  • At the start of the year I decided to bin off Spotify as I pay for Youtube anyway so could use Youtube Music.

Just got Spotify back.

I cant put my finger on why but YT Music just felt shit, I didnt have any problems finding what I wanted. Playlists were fine and even carried over music video playlists from the main site. Just never felt comfortable with it. Way happier back with Spotify.

Its like when Steven Pienaar came to Spurs from Everton moped about for a season, went back to Everton and picked up again.
  • Forum's being a right diva today.

DP
  • I'm the same, but the feeling being that Apple Music "feels better" than Spotify.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • Its most likely just what we get used to over anything else.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!